PDA

View Full Version : Needed track improvements

twg
04-14-2003, 06:45 AM
Brooks and BOD:

This is not a gripe, just a suggestion. However, there are a few areas around the race track, that with a feww strategically place loads of dirt, would significantly increase the safety of the facility. The ditch, just before turn three, where there was a serious incident could be worked abit better.

Also, there are several minor crashes that are caused by the rough surfaces just off the track. Would it be possible to have some one level these rough areas? It wouldn't take more than a tractor and box blade to smooth it up. It might prevent some of the minor damage to the bikes that go down after hitting the ruts.

I know we cannot have the entire area a racing surface and I am not asking for that, but with just a few dollars we might prevent some crashing.

We are having record turn outs for the races and more bikes on the track necessitate some improvements and provide additional funds to do so.

Just a thought, well also because I went off the track and fell down after hitting a rut, aaaarrggghhh.

Thanks,

twg

waytooslow
04-14-2003, 09:46 AM
The grandstands were coming apart... well not apart, but they could use a hammer and nails, some boards appear to need replacing.

Since I spent my sunday on my butt in the grandstands, saw several people almost take headers off the stands.

Scott

slideboy
04-15-2003, 12:49 PM
I think Tom's idea is a good idea. There are also places off turn 6 and turn 8 that could use some grooming. The little ditch at the exit of turn 8 catches bikes just as they come off the track and then keeps both bike and rider right in the runoff area. I was working turn 8 for the mini endurance race and there were some anxious moments when bikes were upside down. Especially in yellow shirt practice trying to pull an SV that had it's front tire wedged in the ditch.
I think there's another ditch further off down the hill that will prevent bikes from making it to the straight part of the racetrack coming out of turn 5.

In fact, I think this is such a good idea that I would volunteer a weekend to help with this work if we can get the equipment.

Mark Delano
04-16-2003, 05:35 PM
i have to agree the grounds just off the track are 2 rough like where billy young was at right before turn 3 lying in what seems to be a ***** what the hell we need a ditch for and after my spectaculor save on the entrence to turn 3 only to run off track and crash do to the terrain off track i think this shold be looked into i will volunter my time if we can get it done
mark delano # 517

Shane Adair
04-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Same for me. I had an off track excursion this weekend. I was lucky enough that it was just moto-crossing in the grass and I was able to get back in the race. Name the weekend guys, and I'll do what I can to help.
Shane Adair
760 AM

Blake
04-17-2003, 02:06 AM
Mark,

Control of rainwater runoff is very necessary. Maybe not so much as is present, but messing with ditches and the pattern of the runoff could open a whole other can of worms. Runoff in the wrong place can wreak havok. Suggest we have a drainage expert take a look before moving any dirt.

Mark Delano
04-17-2003, 09:25 AM
good point blake it wasnt raining at the time so i didnt think water runoff but there is still alot of room for improvment
mark delano #517

twg
04-18-2003, 01:08 PM
Blake: you are correct in that ditches convey water. However, Donnington Park, Assen, and Phillip Island are all race tracks that get a lot of rain and I have not seen unmaintained ditches when watching the races there. I have been to Assen and did not witness them in person.

I agree one cannot just fill ditches in, but properly surveyed the area can be improved. The area is large enough to allow a drainage pattern resulting in a sheet flow of storm water from the infield area and continue to drain in the same direction. Even if that were not possible there is very little reason to not taper the ditch sides to a 1 : 1 ratio, making it much more likely to ride or slide through. The current ditch has steeply banked sides that act as a wall stopping the rider and/or bike upon impact.

Additionally the area has suffered erosion and will continue to do so until some maintenance is performed. The erosion that follows continued channelization through that ditch will only exacerbate the problem.

Like I mentioned in the first post, I am not implying we make the entire area a racing surface, but we don't need ditches (acting like Armco Barriers) immediately off the edge of the track either.

twg