PDA

View Full Version : jr. motard

spearer
08-18-2003, 08:26 PM
I have a friend with a 10 year old interested in jr. motard and is looking at a clutchless kaw 110. I have never seen printed rules for this class, so could you advise me on this bike?

Bryan Norton
08-20-2003, 12:11 PM
I searched on JR Motard with the Search function, and found this :

Rules for Jr.Motard Class
1--Designed for 8 to 12 years of age. Male and female
1a--If the rider is 7 and will be 8 on or before June 1st they are eligible
1b-- If the rider is 12 and will be 13 on or before June 1st they are ineligible.
2-- Must have a Jr.CMRA license. Must go to CMRA Jr. rider school.
2a-- Jr. racing license $25
2b-- CMRA Jr. rider school No charge
2c-- Entry fee $10
3-- Maximum size 80cc 2 stroke, 90cc 4 stroke.
ALL MODELS MUST HAVE AUTOMATIC CLUTCH.
MUST HAVE STOCK ENGINES & STOCK SUSPENSION.
3A-- all approved 80cc 2 strokes with automatic clutch must run stock exhaust systems.
4-- Wheel changes ok 14" Maximum size. Any tire combination ok.
5-- On 90cc 4 strokes exhaust pipe change ok.
5a Handle bar change ok all models.
---------------------------------------------
Riding apparll
1-- Leathers recommended. Moto X gear ok. Elbow and knee protection is required with Moto X gear.
chest protectors are recommended.
2--Boots 4" above ankle.
3-- Approved full face helmet.Approved Full face Moto X helmet visor must be removed and goggles worn ok.
4--Gloves must be approved by CMRA tech.
5--All bikes and rideing gear must go through tech.
--------------------------------------------
ALL MODELS MUST BE APPROVED BY RACE DIRECTOR OR BOD.
MAXIMUM SPEED WILL BE CONTROLLED WITH GEARING.

RULES MAYBE CHANGED OR ADDED TO FOR SAFETY OR OTHER REASONS THE RACE DIRECTOR OR BOD DEEM NECESSARY.

Chuck Ergle
08-20-2003, 10:29 PM
The speed regulation thing to me is an issue. There are some Jr. Motards that are going scarily fast in a straight line. I plan to time some people in a speed trap section at the next race; if the tapped out straight line speeds are demonstrably faster for a few bikes than the majority, we (the BoD)will look at gearing as a limiting factor. The whole object of this exercise is/was to keep the speeds down and the fun & safety factor up. These are little kids, and I don't want to see a big speed differential, a "little league dad/mom" situation, and/or some little kid bail off at 50 or 60 mph and get seriously hurt. This is all about fun and future racers, NOT winning.

spearer
08-21-2003, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the info. I agree we need to keep the speeds down, it is about fun. My daughter Rachel had a great time on her 70 and I am grateful the CMRA has this class.

David Branyon
08-27-2003, 10:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chuck Ergle:
<snip> if the tapped out straight line speeds are demonstrably faster for a few bikes than the majority, we (the BoD)will look at gearing as a limiting factor. <snip></div></div>Chuck,
I agree wholeheartedly. But isn't gearing already limited to stock? I began thinking that maybe the manufacturers had an informal agreement among themselves for top speeds on these bikes (little brother of the 300 km/hr 'Busa agreement /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif ), since the TTR90's didn't seem to be significantly faster in top speed than my son's XR70, at least early in the season. Might be good to have on hand the stock gearing numbers for TTR90 and XR70, which seem to be the main two bikes used, to check anyone who seems to be unordinarily fast down the straights.

Okay, I went surfing, the '03 XR70 has 15/36 stock gearing, the '03 XR50: 14/37. Couldn't find gearing on the Yamaha site.

David Branyon
08-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Oh yeah, I still have in mind how cool it would be to have contingency sponsorship of the Jr. Motard class by Dairy Queen or equivalent. Would that be great or what? Winner gets a banana split, second a sundae, third a dipped cone. Could really increase the level of cheating though, once ice cream is on the line!

I'm an idea man. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif