PDA

View Full Version : Safety Wire Clarification (pinch bolts)

02-23-2004, 01:45 PM
This past weekend tech was requiring front axel pinch bolts to be wired. This is not listed anywhere in the rule book, or in the first addedum to the rule book. I don't mind wiring them, nor to I think it's a bad idea. Just want to make sure there is parity between the rules and what's being enforced.

02-23-2004, 01:45 PM
This past weekend tech was requiring front axel pinch bolts to be wired. This is not listed anywhere in the rule book, or in the first addedum to the rule book. I don't mind wiring them, nor to I think it's a bad idea. Just want to make sure there is parity between the rules and what's being enforced.

dexter
02-23-2004, 02:13 PM
I posted the exact same questions back in October 2003 and never really got a definitive answer.

October Posting Link (http://www.frenzy.com/UBB/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000145#000000)

Anyway, I safety wired everything and didn't have any problems this weekend.

You can download the doc that I created for safety wiring. It is basically a compilation of various online references.

http://www.gnux.net/cmra/safety_wiring.doc

I plan on adding more to the document in the future.

It would have been helpful to have a doc like this when I started safety wiring.

dexter
02-23-2004, 02:13 PM
I posted the exact same questions back in October 2003 and never really got a definitive answer.

October Posting Link (http://www.frenzy.com/UBB/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000145#000000)

Anyway, I safety wired everything and didn't have any problems this weekend.

You can download the doc that I created for safety wiring. It is basically a compilation of various online references.

http://www.gnux.net/cmra/safety_wiring.doc

I plan on adding more to the document in the future.

It would have been helpful to have a doc like this when I started safety wiring.

Steve McNamara
02-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Guys,
Sorry about the confusion if there was any. My bike does not have the axle pinch bolts wired and it passed tech just fine. I'll get with Derek and post something accordingly.

Steve McNamara
02-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Guys,
Sorry about the confusion if there was any. My bike does not have the axle pinch bolts wired and it passed tech just fine. I'll get with Derek and post something accordingly.

02-23-2004, 05:13 PM
I guess I should clarify further. I got teched just fine, but was told I needed to wire my pinch bolts.

02-23-2004, 05:13 PM
I guess I should clarify further. I got teched just fine, but was told I needed to wire my pinch bolts.

Frank Newman
02-23-2004, 05:56 PM
Regarding the pinch bolts, on an endurance bike I have drilled a larger hole, put a clip through it and wired the two clips in a way that prevents counterclockwise movement. Will this pass?

Frank Newman
02-23-2004, 05:56 PM
Regarding the pinch bolts, on an endurance bike I have drilled a larger hole, put a clip through it and wired the two clips in a way that prevents counterclockwise movement. Will this pass?

Steve McNamara
02-25-2004, 03:30 PM
For 2004 we will suggest/reccommend that the axle pinch bolts be wired. Next season it will be mandated in the 2005 rule book. Thanks Guys.

Steve McNamara
02-25-2004, 03:30 PM
For 2004 we will suggest/reccommend that the axle pinch bolts be wired. Next season it will be mandated in the 2005 rule book. Thanks Guys.

darick
02-25-2004, 05:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Steve McNamara:
For 2004 we will suggest/reccommend that the axle pinch bolts be wired. Next season it will be mandated in the 2005 rule book. Thanks Guys. </div></div>Great call Steve /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ......maybe a reminder at the next race event riders meeting? You know, for all those who don't get on this puter thing. In the interest of safety, of course. I've been doing mine since I went to a WERA event back in 2000.

darick
02-25-2004, 05:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Steve McNamara:
For 2004 we will suggest/reccommend that the axle pinch bolts be wired. Next season it will be mandated in the 2005 rule book. Thanks Guys. </div></div>Great call Steve /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ......maybe a reminder at the next race event riders meeting? You know, for all those who don't get on this puter thing. In the interest of safety, of course. I've been doing mine since I went to a WERA event back in 2000.