PDA

View Full Version : Laptimer Beacon During Sprints

dog4delta
02-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Was curious to know if there is any policy in regards to having a trackside beacon (for laptimers) on during the sprints / practice. I know there was a beacon on and working during the RRC races on Saturday, but was surprised to learn from Walter that there was no beacon on during the sprints on Sunday. Is it up to an individual racer to set up and use their own beacon if they want lap times, or does the CMRA normally ensure a beacon is set up and functional?

Thanks

Bill Underwood

dog4delta
02-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Was curious to know if there is any policy in regards to having a trackside beacon (for laptimers) on during the sprints / practice. I know there was a beacon on and working during the RRC races on Saturday, but was surprised to learn from Walter that there was no beacon on during the sprints on Sunday. Is it up to an individual racer to set up and use their own beacon if they want lap times, or does the CMRA normally ensure a beacon is set up and functional?

Thanks

Bill Underwood

Walter Walker
02-26-2004, 08:29 PM
The CMRA does own a lap timmer beacon. when I set it up I get 20 people complaining that it's not working and 20 more saying it's working fine. To be quite honest the lap timmer is the last thing on my mind on a race weekend. If someone would like to volenteer to set it up, take it down, and keep it charged I would be happy to let them take charge of it. Anybody???

Walter Walker
02-26-2004, 08:29 PM
The CMRA does own a lap timmer beacon. when I set it up I get 20 people complaining that it's not working and 20 more saying it's working fine. To be quite honest the lap timmer is the last thing on my mind on a race weekend. If someone would like to volenteer to set it up, take it down, and keep it charged I would be happy to let them take charge of it. Anybody???

Chris Kotowski
02-27-2004, 07:33 PM
I'm planning on making all the Sunday races right now and as many Saturdays as I can. I wouldn't mind keeping tabs on the beacon when I'm there as long as it's understood I might not be able to make it all the time. I know that Walter has enough to do already.

Chris Kotowski
02-27-2004, 07:33 PM
I'm planning on making all the Sunday races right now and as many Saturdays as I can. I wouldn't mind keeping tabs on the beacon when I'm there as long as it's understood I might not be able to make it all the time. I know that Walter has enough to do already.

anthony c smith
02-28-2004, 01:03 PM
That was A Electrical Services/Team Oz Racing's lap timer out there Saturday.
If you want to take set up for Sundays Chris, I can do all of the Saturdays.
I usually just run the internal batteries on the beacon. The batteries that were in the becon saturday were from the begining of last season! I will go ahead and bring fresh batteries for the CMRA beacon as well.
Will that work for you guys? Thanks, Anthony. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

anthony c smith
02-28-2004, 01:03 PM
That was A Electrical Services/Team Oz Racing's lap timer out there Saturday.
If you want to take set up for Sundays Chris, I can do all of the Saturdays.
I usually just run the internal batteries on the beacon. The batteries that were in the becon saturday were from the begining of last season! I will go ahead and bring fresh batteries for the CMRA beacon as well.
Will that work for you guys? Thanks, Anthony. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Chris Kotowski
02-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Anthony,
Sounds good to me. I have a beacon and a tripod also. Looks like we're set.

Chris Kotowski
02-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Anthony,
Sounds good to me. I have a beacon and a tripod also. Looks like we're set.

Chris Thomas
02-29-2004, 08:37 AM
Just a question, which side of the track does the beacon usualy get placed? Bike left or bike right?

Chris Thomas
02-29-2004, 08:37 AM
Just a question, which side of the track does the beacon usualy get placed? Bike left or bike right?

anthony c smith
02-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Chris that all depends on which track is being ran in which configuration. The book says that the becon needs to be placed on the inside of the track, so the signal may not cross the track a second time. It has traditionally been placed at the start finish line. so that is where I will place it on Saturdays.
If MSR is being ran CW then you will need to aim your sensor towards the right side of the track. If it is being ran CCW you will need to aim it towards the left side of your bike. Velcro mounting of the sensor makes this transition very easy.
If I am missing something please let me know, or if someone has a split timer and wants those set out, I can set that becon out as well. Thanks, Anthony.

anthony c smith
02-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Chris that all depends on which track is being ran in which configuration. The book says that the becon needs to be placed on the inside of the track, so the signal may not cross the track a second time. It has traditionally been placed at the start finish line. so that is where I will place it on Saturdays.
If MSR is being ran CW then you will need to aim your sensor towards the right side of the track. If it is being ran CCW you will need to aim it towards the left side of your bike. Velcro mounting of the sensor makes this transition very easy.
If I am missing something please let me know, or if someone has a split timer and wants those set out, I can set that becon out as well. Thanks, Anthony.

Chris Thomas
03-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Cool, that is what I was looking for. Now we need to actually start a race before blowing up so we can check lap times!

Chris Thomas
03-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Cool, that is what I was looking for. Now we need to actually start a race before blowing up so we can check lap times!

Chris Kotowski
03-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Anthony,
Placing the Beacon at the finish line will work at all tracks with the exception of TWS because of the angle of the bike and banking. I believe we set it up just prior to the braking zone for turn three which would be the first time the bike is straight up and down after the front straight. Walter would know for sure.

Chris Kotowski
03-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Anthony,
Placing the Beacon at the finish line will work at all tracks with the exception of TWS because of the angle of the bike and banking. I believe we set it up just prior to the braking zone for turn three which would be the first time the bike is straight up and down after the front straight. Walter would know for sure.

waytooslow
03-01-2004, 08:03 PM
seems like it was LEFT side CW and CCW at MSR... as I recall.

Scott

waytooslow
03-01-2004, 08:03 PM
seems like it was LEFT side CW and CCW at MSR... as I recall.

Scott

anthony c smith
03-02-2004, 07:58 PM
You are right Mr. Katowski!! It has been so long since I rode a big bike, I forgot all about that.
Scott at MSR it seems more logical to keep the tripod to the inside of the track. That way if someone runs wide they wont have a tripod to run over. I remember the ultra light weight race last year a motard ran off and rode almost the full length of that back straight in the grass....Good thing there was no tripod there /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif . I will confirm each placement with walter as well to help keep my butt out of trouble. Thanks guys, Anthony.

anthony c smith
03-02-2004, 07:58 PM
You are right Mr. Katowski!! It has been so long since I rode a big bike, I forgot all about that.
Scott at MSR it seems more logical to keep the tripod to the inside of the track. That way if someone runs wide they wont have a tripod to run over. I remember the ultra light weight race last year a motard ran off and rode almost the full length of that back straight in the grass....Good thing there was no tripod there /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif . I will confirm each placement with walter as well to help keep my butt out of trouble. Thanks guys, Anthony.

David Branyon
03-18-2004, 01:43 PM
Hey,
I don't know who was responsible, or if it was the placement of the beacon or our laptimer, but it triggered every single lap! Great work folks!

David Branyon
03-18-2004, 01:43 PM
Hey,
I don't know who was responsible, or if it was the placement of the beacon or our laptimer, but it triggered every single lap! Great work folks!

anthony c smith
03-18-2004, 03:41 PM
Nothing much has changed except those that put it out. I placed it right were Walter said and there is the credit for your consistent results.
I didnt get an opportunity to meet Chris Though. Chris did you pick it up on Sunday and make sure it was back in the CMRA box? What # bike are you on and I will be sure and look you up next round. Anthony.
Thanks for the report on the consistency David.

anthony c smith
03-18-2004, 03:41 PM
Nothing much has changed except those that put it out. I placed it right were Walter said and there is the credit for your consistent results.
I didnt get an opportunity to meet Chris Though. Chris did you pick it up on Sunday and make sure it was back in the CMRA box? What # bike are you on and I will be sure and look you up next round. Anthony.
Thanks for the report on the consistency David.

Chris Kotowski
03-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Anthony,
I got to the track late Saturday night. Sunday morning Walter told me that someone else had volunteered to work the beacon all weekend. So I didn't really do anything. I'm hopeing that Walter grabbed the beacon while rounding up the corner equipment. I am curious though, During race 15 my timer, with brand new batteries, never triggered but had worked well up until then.

Prior to going to TWS I bought a very small 7.0 amp/hr Sealed lead acid battery (about the same size as the beacon itself) just for the beacon. The XT web page said that this size battery worked well at 60 ft. for 120 hrs. That should be plenty for a full race weekend. As I didn't get the chance to test this at TWS I played with it all day today and found out a few things. at 75 ft. the beacon worked perfectly but out from there the accuracy went down, as much as .78 sec. at 90ft. I don't know why this is. Also I have often wondered if leaning a little as I went passed the beacon might cause the timer to not trigger. I found that 20 deg up or down didn't distrube the triggering of the timer or the accuracy.

I'll be at OHR the friday of race weekend and would like to test the battery life and if the max distance changes with time.

with time on my hands
Chris
Nov #126

Chris Kotowski
03-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Anthony,
I got to the track late Saturday night. Sunday morning Walter told me that someone else had volunteered to work the beacon all weekend. So I didn't really do anything. I'm hopeing that Walter grabbed the beacon while rounding up the corner equipment. I am curious though, During race 15 my timer, with brand new batteries, never triggered but had worked well up until then.

Prior to going to TWS I bought a very small 7.0 amp/hr Sealed lead acid battery (about the same size as the beacon itself) just for the beacon. The XT web page said that this size battery worked well at 60 ft. for 120 hrs. That should be plenty for a full race weekend. As I didn't get the chance to test this at TWS I played with it all day today and found out a few things. at 75 ft. the beacon worked perfectly but out from there the accuracy went down, as much as .78 sec. at 90ft. I don't know why this is. Also I have often wondered if leaning a little as I went passed the beacon might cause the timer to not trigger. I found that 20 deg up or down didn't distrube the triggering of the timer or the accuracy.

I'll be at OHR the friday of race weekend and would like to test the battery life and if the max distance changes with time.

with time on my hands
Chris
Nov #126

Christopher Corder
03-19-2004, 08:19 AM
Chris, same story for me. It triggered properly for practice, races 2, 5, 13, but during race 18 it would not take a time. Maybe it got bumped or something.

Christopher Corder
03-19-2004, 08:19 AM
Chris, same story for me. It triggered properly for practice, races 2, 5, 13, but during race 18 it would not take a time. Maybe it got bumped or something.

John Orchard
03-19-2004, 08:41 AM
More input - I got nothing in race #12, but 6, 17 and 19 worked pretty well, catching all but a lap or two.

I think Chris' new batter will help a lot.

Oak Hill seems to rarely work well - I've always suspected that it was due to a weak battery and/or placment of the beacon too close to the track at the 'wrong' level.

I'd be happy to give you guys a hand some weekend if you need some help - just give me a shout.

John Orchard
03-19-2004, 08:41 AM
More input - I got nothing in race #12, but 6, 17 and 19 worked pretty well, catching all but a lap or two.

I think Chris' new batter will help a lot.

Oak Hill seems to rarely work well - I've always suspected that it was due to a weak battery and/or placment of the beacon too close to the track at the 'wrong' level.

I'd be happy to give you guys a hand some weekend if you need some help - just give me a shout.

Chris Kotowski
03-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Mini sprints and Endurance on Saturday. I'm guessing that you guys/gals run lap timers also and will need the beacon, correct?

Chris Kotowski
03-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Mini sprints and Endurance on Saturday. I'm guessing that you guys/gals run lap timers also and will need the beacon, correct?

Rich Desmond
03-23-2004, 07:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chris Kotowski:
Mini sprints and Endurance on Saturday. I'm guessing that you guys/gals run lap timers also and will need the beacon, correct? </div></div>Correct. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Rich Desmond
03-23-2004, 07:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chris Kotowski:
Mini sprints and Endurance on Saturday. I'm guessing that you guys/gals run lap timers also and will need the beacon, correct? </div></div>Correct. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Chris Kotowski
03-23-2004, 08:21 PM
I'll be there Friday afternoon. Beacon in hand.

Chris Kotowski
03-23-2004, 08:21 PM
I'll be there Friday afternoon. Beacon in hand.

Rich Desmond
03-24-2004, 06:18 AM
I'll be there Friday afternoon. Beacon in hand. </div></div>Thanks Chris, appreciate your handling that.

Rich Desmond
03-24-2004, 06:18 AM
I'll be there Friday afternoon. Beacon in hand. </div></div>Thanks Chris, appreciate your handling that.

Chris Kotowski
04-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Did anyone have problems with getting laptimes Saturday or Sunday?

Chris Kotowski
04-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Did anyone have problems with getting laptimes Saturday or Sunday?

Jason Keene
04-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Chris worked like a charm unless i rode close to the inside edge.... the book on my XT says min of 15 feet away... so i rode on the outside and i hit every time... Thanx for your effort..

Glad to see you got everything together for Sunday...

Jason Keene
04-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Chris worked like a charm unless i rode close to the inside edge.... the book on my XT says min of 15 feet away... so i rode on the outside and i hit every time... Thanx for your effort..

Glad to see you got everything together for Sunday...

John Orchard
04-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Did anyone have problems with getting laptimes Saturday or Sunday? </div></div>I got about 1/2 of my laps....which is actually an improvement at Oak Hill. Lot's of missed laps and split laps for some reason -

I didn't see exactly where the beacon was placed?

John Orchard
04-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Did anyone have problems with getting laptimes Saturday or Sunday? </div></div>I got about 1/2 of my laps....which is actually an improvement at Oak Hill. Lot's of missed laps and split laps for some reason -

I didn't see exactly where the beacon was placed?

Keith Hertell
04-06-2004, 12:11 PM
We were pitted directly across from the beacon and we did about 170+ laps during the red flag. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Keith Hertell
04-06-2004, 12:11 PM
We were pitted directly across from the beacon and we did about 170+ laps during the red flag. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Jason Keene
04-06-2004, 12:15 PM
that's funny....

Jason Keene
04-06-2004, 12:15 PM
that's funny....