PDA

View Full Version : Thousand dollar ambulance ride.

cedestech
02-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Chris Newhouses crash last year at OakHill in
T7 caused him to take a ride in the ambulance...

His insurance won't cover the $1000 bill from the
ambulance company because they were already being
paid to be on call.

Is this normal for the ambulance's that are on
call and being paid already for our races to charge $1000 for a 10 mile ride when no other procedures other then putting you on a gurney are administered?

If so do other riders know if they take a ambulance ride it'll cost them $1000?

Someone could make money with a pick up taking
riders to the hospital that were just banged up
a bit....

Anyone?

cedestech
02-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Chris Newhouses crash last year at OakHill in
T7 caused him to take a ride in the ambulance...

His insurance won't cover the $1000 bill from the
ambulance company because they were already being
paid to be on call.

Is this normal for the ambulance's that are on
call and being paid already for our races to charge $1000 for a 10 mile ride when no other procedures other then putting you on a gurney are administered?

If so do other riders know if they take a ambulance ride it'll cost them $1000?

Someone could make money with a pick up taking
riders to the hospital that were just banged up
a bit....

Anyone?

Christopher Corder
02-12-2005, 08:54 PM
When I crashed at Hallett I had my Dad take me to the hospital (if you want to call it that) so the ambulance could stay for the other racers. Little did I know that I probably saved myself quite a bit of money (it still cost about $2300 for a pretty innocent lowside).

Christopher Corder
02-12-2005, 08:54 PM
When I crashed at Hallett I had my Dad take me to the hospital (if you want to call it that) so the ambulance could stay for the other racers. Little did I know that I probably saved myself quite a bit of money (it still cost about $2300 for a pretty innocent lowside).

Jason Keene
02-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Wow... I did not know that... I will never understand how insurance companies operate or see the justification in the decisions they make.

That is indeed unfortunate.

I don't want anyone to get hurt bad enough to need the ambulance however, it is only helps to have them at the track when they are needed instead of having to drive to and from.

Jason Keene
02-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Wow... I did not know that... I will never understand how insurance companies operate or see the justification in the decisions they make.

That is indeed unfortunate.

I don't want anyone to get hurt bad enough to need the ambulance however, it is only helps to have them at the track when they are needed instead of having to drive to and from.

JesseJohnson
02-13-2005, 11:51 AM
My insurance covered both of my ambulance rides, even though both were at the track for that purpose.

Must depend on the insurance co.

JesseJohnson
02-13-2005, 11:51 AM
My insurance covered both of my ambulance rides, even though both were at the track for that purpose.

Must depend on the insurance co.

TX_03_RC51
02-13-2005, 08:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jason Keene:
understand how insurance companies operate or see the justification in the decisions they make.
</div></div>Well, insurance companies provide their services to make a profit, and in doing so will think of any reason possible to cut your benefits, or find a way to not pay at all or pay a very nominal amount

TX_03_RC51
02-13-2005, 08:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jason Keene:
understand how insurance companies operate or see the justification in the decisions they make.
</div></div>Well, insurance companies provide their services to make a profit, and in doing so will think of any reason possible to cut your benefits, or find a way to not pay at all or pay a very nominal amount

TFox
02-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Hmm, my ambulance ride from Oak Hill to Henderson hospital in 2000 (during a 2-person track day in January) was only about $450. They were not there on call, and so we had to wait until they finished their current call and then drive out to the track. No insurance claim involved. No bandaging, no cutting of leathers, etc. Just loaded me up on a 2-piece carrier and dumped me onto a hospital bed with a separated hip (leg was locked in place by the muscle spasms with my knee up in the air).

Everyone wants to get into your pocket now-a-days.

TFox
02-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Hmm, my ambulance ride from Oak Hill to Henderson hospital in 2000 (during a 2-person track day in January) was only about $450. They were not there on call, and so we had to wait until they finished their current call and then drive out to the track. No insurance claim involved. No bandaging, no cutting of leathers, etc. Just loaded me up on a 2-piece carrier and dumped me onto a hospital bed with a separated hip (leg was locked in place by the muscle spasms with my knee up in the air).

Everyone wants to get into your pocket now-a-days.

Jonathan Wright
02-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Didn't see a bill for my ambulance ride from TX World. Guess my insurance co paid.

They did NOT pay for radiology consult. Go figure.

Jonathan Wright
02-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Didn't see a bill for my ambulance ride from TX World. Guess my insurance co paid.

They did NOT pay for radiology consult. Go figure.

derricksmith
02-14-2005, 09:20 PM
I work for an insurance company and I can tell you that we would pay for such a trip. I honestly cannot believe any respectable health care company would not pay.

I would strongly suggest giving them a call. Insurance companies make mistakes, A LOT OF THEM. You could always call and make sure the claim was processed correctly. Also, most insurance carries offer a little bonus feature they call "empowerment" and don't tell you about it. If they won't pay (and it's under 1500 bucks) just tell them you didn't know any better. They'll pick up the tab on good faith and tell you never to do that again. You get one "empowerment" for every cercumstance.

Need an un-authorized chiro visit? empower
Need a non-covered emergency service? empower
Need cheap boobs for your wife? empower

derricksmith
02-14-2005, 09:20 PM
I work for an insurance company and I can tell you that we would pay for such a trip. I honestly cannot believe any respectable health care company would not pay.

I would strongly suggest giving them a call. Insurance companies make mistakes, A LOT OF THEM. You could always call and make sure the claim was processed correctly. Also, most insurance carries offer a little bonus feature they call "empowerment" and don't tell you about it. If they won't pay (and it's under 1500 bucks) just tell them you didn't know any better. They'll pick up the tab on good faith and tell you never to do that again. You get one "empowerment" for every cercumstance.

Need an un-authorized chiro visit? empower
Need a non-covered emergency service? empower
Need cheap boobs for your wife? empower

cedestech
02-14-2005, 09:44 PM
He says he's been going back and forth with them
for 6 months over it.

I dunno?

He asked me to post it, I did. I know Chris is not about the money but the principle of a situation. If he felt he owed it he would have
paid it.

Personally I don't know. I am sure there is a
surcharge, especially if they have to use supplies or extroninary measures. But if the only difference is whether they are sitting by the track or driving the 20 mile round trip I don't
think it should be a G note when we are already
"leasing" their presence.

But then again I am no ambulance expert.

I don't think TWS charges us for the ambulance or rides because it is their units and part of the
track rental. (I think...)

I took a ride last year and that crew didn't charge because the way they look at it is they
are being hired to be there regardless.

Anyway.....

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

cedestech
02-14-2005, 09:44 PM
He says he's been going back and forth with them
for 6 months over it.

I dunno?

He asked me to post it, I did. I know Chris is not about the money but the principle of a situation. If he felt he owed it he would have
paid it.

Personally I don't know. I am sure there is a
surcharge, especially if they have to use supplies or extroninary measures. But if the only difference is whether they are sitting by the track or driving the 20 mile round trip I don't
think it should be a G note when we are already
"leasing" their presence.

But then again I am no ambulance expert.

I don't think TWS charges us for the ambulance or rides because it is their units and part of the
track rental. (I think...)

I took a ride last year and that crew didn't charge because the way they look at it is they
are being hired to be there regardless.

Anyway.....

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Chuck Ergle
02-15-2005, 10:04 AM
TWS L-O-V-E-S to transport people, and will do so for the low low price of about $800. To their proprietary ambulance service, this is gravy money, and they probably split it between the $10-$15/HR EMTs and track management for beer and steaks. I seem to remember instances of them starting to roll an ambulance before being called by Race Control...

Chuck Ergle
02-15-2005, 10:04 AM
TWS L-O-V-E-S to transport people, and will do so for the low low price of about $800. To their proprietary ambulance service, this is gravy money, and they probably split it between the $10-$15/HR EMTs and track management for beer and steaks. I seem to remember instances of them starting to roll an ambulance before being called by Race Control...

cedestech
02-15-2005, 12:01 PM
There ya go, I didn't know....

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

cedestech
02-15-2005, 12:01 PM
There ya go, I didn't know....

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DMS Racing
02-21-2005, 02:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chuck Ergle:
TWS L-O-V-E-S to transport people, and will do so for the low low price of about $800. To their proprietary ambulance service, this is gravy money, and they probably split it between the $10-$15/HR EMTs and track management for beer and steaks. I seem to remember instances of them starting to roll an ambulance before being called by Race Control... </div></div>The EMT's don't get anything like you suggest. Why would management give them a cent? There just another contract laborer, and as professionals, will render their opinion regardless of compensation.

DMS Racing
02-21-2005, 02:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chuck Ergle:
TWS L-O-V-E-S to transport people, and will do so for the low low price of about $800. To their proprietary ambulance service, this is gravy money, and they probably split it between the $10-$15/HR EMTs and track management for beer and steaks. I seem to remember instances of them starting to roll an ambulance before being called by Race Control... </div></div>The EMT's don't get anything like you suggest. Why would management give them a cent? There just another contract laborer, and as professionals, will render their opinion regardless of compensation.

Tom Anderson
03-02-2005, 08:31 AM
As a 12-year Paramedic, and a 20 year firefighter- I have never, ever received any money from any of the people I have ever worked a side job with. If there is money to be made, trust me, it is with the management. The EMTs and Paramedics only get a small pittance- and certainly don't get any more money for transporting someone. If you compare our side job money with Police officers, you would think that we were second class citizens!

Tom Anderson
03-02-2005, 08:31 AM
As a 12-year Paramedic, and a 20 year firefighter- I have never, ever received any money from any of the people I have ever worked a side job with. If there is money to be made, trust me, it is with the management. The EMTs and Paramedics only get a small pittance- and certainly don't get any more money for transporting someone. If you compare our side job money with Police officers, you would think that we were second class citizens!

cedestech
03-02-2005, 05:01 PM
I was talking to Chris about this again today.

It isn't the bill, it's the fact he can't wrap his mind around they are already getting paid to
be there and why he was charged a exorbenant amount for a 10 minute ride. No supplies, no
extra measures etc....

The exact amount of the bill (found out today)
was $780.

His idea is if he ever has to be transported again and it's not life threatening he'll gladly
pay someone $100 for a ride in the back of their
pick up.

Anyway, just a heads up...

BTW: he also said he's been transported twice that he remembers from TWS and never received a
bill for it?

cedestech
03-02-2005, 05:01 PM
I was talking to Chris about this again today.

It isn't the bill, it's the fact he can't wrap his mind around they are already getting paid to
be there and why he was charged a exorbenant amount for a 10 minute ride. No supplies, no
extra measures etc....

The exact amount of the bill (found out today)
was $780.

His idea is if he ever has to be transported again and it's not life threatening he'll gladly
pay someone $100 for a ride in the back of their
pick up.

Anyway, just a heads up...

BTW: he also said he's been transported twice that he remembers from TWS and never received a
bill for it?