PDA

View Full Version : Ready to get back on the track

John Cherry
07-09-2016, 05:25 PM
Hello everyone. I'm John Cherry. I raced CMRA from about 99 to 01. Very excited to to get back to racing. Was living in Texas then living in OKC now. Just excited to get back racing. Hope to attend license school in Cresson next month if work allows. Just wanted to say hi. Any advice for a new old guy would be appreciated.

Danny Dominguez
07-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Kool, welcome back. I'm in the OKC area if I can help.

John Cherry
07-09-2016, 08:12 PM
Thank you Danny I appreciate it. I know a lot has changed over the years.

Sean Brown
07-10-2016, 09:41 AM
Surprisingly there aren't as many changes as you may have thought. I returned to the CMRA in 2012 after racing from 1997-2000. I quickly ran into some of the same old friendly faces and built new friendships which were the same wonderful types of people from the past. There are couple of new tracks to learn but there are also a couple of the old ones still on the schedule that were there 20 years ago. The Brothers family is gone but the new cadre do as good a job as anybody in the country if not better.
I hope I get the chance to meet you (possibly again) at Cresson. New old faces are a great way to start off getting back in the saddle.

John Cherry
07-10-2016, 10:30 PM
Thats around the same time I was around Sean hope to meet you at Cresson. I did notice Oakhill was gone. One of my first races was at Topeka KS back in the day. I think it was about 30 degrees that day lol. I hope I get to ride TWS again before it's gone. Hope to see some old faces and meet some new friends. I think I'm more nervous this time.

Robert Lackey
07-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Hi John I'm in OKC as well if you need anything. Welcome back!

Steve Ebeling
07-11-2016, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=Sean Brown;330121]Surprisingly there aren't as many changes as you may have thought. I returned to the CMRA in 2012 after racing from 1997-2000. I quickly ran into some of the same old friendly faces and built new friendships which were the same wonderful types of people from the past. There are couple of new tracks to learn but there are also a couple of the old ones still on the schedule that were there 20 years ago. The Brothers family is gone but the new cadre do as good a job as anybody in the country if not better.
I hope I get the chance to meet you (possibly again) at Cresson. New old faces are a great way to start off getting back in the saddle.

This guy Sean has no idea what he's talking about. He got hit the head when he was a very young man and says a lot of things that absolutely make no sense.
We let him race because we feel sorry for him.

John Cherry
07-12-2016, 12:38 AM
Thanks Robert. You might say the same about me after you see me on the track Steve. What all classes do you guys race? I have an 06 gsxr 600. Just curious

Harry Tomlinson
07-12-2016, 08:14 AM
Welcome back John, it's been a long time!

Steven Smith
07-12-2016, 09:08 AM
hat all classes do you guys race? I have an 06 gsxr 600. Just curious

Mine is an '05 and I race SBC, F40 MW (assuming you qualify based on the OP), and Modern Classic (your bike 1 year too new for this one). You could add in SSC, and then also race up in B (almost all 600's anyway) and A classes.

Robert Lackey
07-12-2016, 12:08 PM
Thanks Robert. You might say the same about me after you see me on the track Steve. What all classes do you guys race? I have an 06 gsxr 600. Just curious

I'm running Modern Classic and SSA, might try SBA just for the extra seat time (hey, someone has to finish last....)

What day and time are you heading down to Cresson?

John Cherry
07-12-2016, 07:35 PM
Thank you Harry excited to be back. That gives me some ideas Steven. Not sure where I'll fit in. Hope to meet everyone and have some good times. I wasn't sure what classes would be best for me being so rusty.

John Cherry
07-12-2016, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure yet Robert. I can't make the up coming race I was shooting for 19th Aug weekend. Hit ridesmart on Friday ,flag Saturday and then catch some sprints on Sunday. That's the plan anyway. I got word today I might be working till the 19th in west Texas so I will keep my fingers crossed. Do you endurance race or just sprints?

Dewayne Davis
07-14-2016, 02:09 PM
Welcome Back. I am also in the OKC area. The thing that has changed the most is everyone has gotten faster.

Eric Falt
07-14-2016, 02:20 PM
Hey John...I remember your name from the day...get ready for some Bad A$$ good times!!! Yee Haw :+1:

John Cherry
07-14-2016, 07:04 PM
Well Dewayne I was slow before so I'm going to very slow now lol. Hey yes I remember you also. Seems like you helped me with some questions I had when I was building a 450r motardor one of the guys I rode with. I'm so ready for some bad ads good times. I'll be smiling even from the back of the grid!!

Robert Lackey
07-15-2016, 07:53 AM
I'm not sure yet Robert. I can't make the up coming race I was shooting for 19th Aug weekend. Hit ridesmart on Friday ,flag Saturday and then catch some sprints on Sunday. That's the plan anyway. I got word today I might be working till the 19th in west Texas so I will keep my fingers crossed. Do you endurance race or just sprints?

I had been racing with a ULWE team (Soonerbillz Racing) but after a tough first few rounds we have decided to bow out of Cresson and focus solely on the TWS endurance round. For the 22nd event I am going to work a corner Saturday then sprint Sunday. Hopefully you can make it out! If you need anything transported down let me know, I have an extra spot in the trailer now.

John Cherry
07-15-2016, 07:37 PM
Sorry to hear about the tough go in endurance so far. I thought I saw you bike for sale? I really hope I'm back in town to make the Aug round it will be very close. I appreciate the offer I think I'll be good but you never know. If I go to school that Friday I will also be corner working that Saturday. I'll look you up at the track and ask a bunch of questions. Lol

Robert Lackey
07-16-2016, 09:05 AM
Sorry to hear about the tough go in endurance so far. I thought I saw you bike for sale? I really hope I'm back in town to make the Aug round it will be very close. I appreciate the offer I think I'll be good but you never know. If I go to school that Friday I will also be corner working that Saturday. I'll look you up at the track and ask a bunch of questions. Lol

My bike is somewhat up for sale... I'm not trying very hard if you know what I mean... But if it sells I'm turning right around and buying something a bit smaller to replace it. Definitely let's get together at the track! I'll send you my cell number in a private message.