PDA

View Full Version : Im ready to join CMRA

Anthony J Mulheron
07-17-2016, 08:55 PM
Hey all ,my name is Anthony Mulheron. I am from Corpus Christi TX Ive been wanting to join CMRA for years but work and kids just didnt allow. I own dirt bikes and cruisers and I used to own sport bikes. So riding isnt new, just on road racing will be.

I have a few options locally for a bike to make Track specific. CBR 1100 or an older ninja 600 (ZX6E). They are totally opposite bikes, I know. i am nearly 6ft and 250 pounds, so i can handle the power of the 1100 on the road, just not sure about the track. The 600 might be too small for me on the track. I am looking for ALL feedback from current racers as what you think.

Also, how many track days should I attend before taking license school? There are not many left for the year.

Current plan is to build a track specific bike, go to some track days and then license school. I hope to be racing next season among you all. During the off season after track days I'll do all the required things to the bike (safety wire). Ive read all through the website, watched youtube videos of CMRA races, now its just a matter of getting my butt to the track.

Hope to meet you all soon!

Carter Rossner
07-17-2016, 10:57 PM
Welcome to the forum, Anthony!

As far as bikes, either of those would be fine for our classic division, but wouldn't be very competitive in their respective Superstock/Superbike classes. Neither one is really designed to be a race bike. Given the hassle required to make the bike race-ready (you'd likely need custom bodywork, as neither of those bikes is regularly raced) you may want to look into the economics of selling one of those bikes and using the funds to buy an already-prepped bike. To me (and many others) it's a bit of a waste to take a perfectly fine street-legal bike and turn it into a racing machine unless you're dead set on it from the start.

As far as power/size goes, there's no such thing as "too small" when it comes to racing. Each class has its own skill set. Suffice to say many of our fastest racers have no problem going toe-to-toe with 1000cc bikes on their 600s. Find the style of racing that suits you, your schedule, and your budget, and go with that. I'd recommend taking your current bikes to the track in their street trim and seeing which one you like better, then moving on from there.

As far as track days to complete before getting your license, that all depends on you. I've seen guys who do their first track day in the spring, get their license in the summer, and win podiums in the fall. And I've seen guys who have been riding track for years who struggle to get past intermediate pace. The most important aspect isn't necessarily speed, but predictability and comfort. You need to be able to stick to the line, and be fine with people passing you (and passing them yourself, perhaps) very closely and at high speed.

So yeah, the first step is to get you on track. Either of those bikes will do just fine in the beginner track groups. Once you've done a day or two, you can start to put together a better idea of what your race plan will be. Some guys really get bitten by the bug, and their whole lives become about racing. Others just find it to be an enjoyable hobby, and they're happy to just hang out with their friends and finish in the middle of the pack a few times per year. Everyone's plan will be a little different.

Anthony J Mulheron
07-18-2016, 07:54 AM
Thanks Carter! I appreciate the info, helps a lot. I have been looking at a lot more race specific bikes for the future. I think the key is to just get out to the track and get some time under my belt like you say. Once I start meeting people and getting a better idea of the track I can make a decision as far as bike is concerned.

So what would be the best for me come my first track day? Do I take the beginner course along side the track day? Is that what most do?

Brandon Orr
07-18-2016, 08:56 AM
Seat time will be the most important thing. Some guys are naturally talented and start racing in a year or less. Most are not and it takes a couple years for you to get comfortable on the track.

As Carter said, an already built bike should save you a lot of headache. Something more modern if you can afford it would be nice but not necessary. Your weight has nothing to do with the size bike you need. I mean this in the best way possible but, you should watch Danny Dominguez ride that CBR500.

Enjoy the trackdays while they last and try not to get into a big hurry to start racing. It will be apparent when you are ready.

Kasey Lewis
07-18-2016, 09:01 AM
If you've never done a track day, then i would say yes sign up for the beginner course. Some people get faster very fast, some not so much. Either bike should work just fine for a TD. You've got MSRH and Harris Hill within a few hours of Corpus. I'd hazard to guess that most of the racers start out at track days then transition over from there. I did a few years worth, then tried the racing. Some guys do one or two and transition. It's up to you and your comfort level on a track. The modern classic grid is very light mostly and a fun race to start with. I ran MC for several years on an old gixxer and ninja 636.

In short, do some track days, get familiar with riding a rocket again, spectate if you can. I'm from the Rio Grande Valley, you're more than welcome to hitch a ride to the races this month or next month. See the carnival from trackside.

Michael De Simone
07-18-2016, 10:26 AM
If you have to buy either of those bikes, I would keep looking. I would start out on a smaller bike. I'm 6ft and almost 250 and race a Ninja 250. Unless you're really uncomfortable on one, start with that.

If you own those bikes already, start with the 636.

If you can get to a Ridesmart day at MSRH, I would do that. Their Level 1 Program is great and I think they are the only trackday company that does MSRH still.

Good luck and welcome!

Anthony J Mulheron
07-18-2016, 11:47 AM
Ok sorry for not being more specific. I have sold all my sport bikes, I only have my cruiser and a few dirt bikes. So yes, I would be purchasing a used bike. I just gave examples of bikes I have found locally. I actually prefer to start scratch and build my own track bike as I am just crafty like that, I love the mechanical aspect of bikes as well as riding. In fact, I have a crf450r that I want to race Motard in after I get in some track time.

Ok with that said, at 5'11 and 250 pounds, I did ride an ex250 for nearly 4 years as a daily driver a few years back. Was not at all uncomfortable. I saw where numerous people race those, and find it very awesome. Even something I am very interested in. Plenty for sale locally, The older style 250 as well as the new style 250.

Another option to get "started" is a ex500 that I seen for sale locally. At this point I am just looking for a track day bike to get in laps/experience.

Anthony J Mulheron
07-18-2016, 11:50 AM
Yes I would love to hitch a ride or at least meet up for the races. This weekend is a no go for me, I am trying to make August Track days. I'll keep you posted

Kasey Lewis
07-18-2016, 11:53 AM
There are a couple of 300's for sale here as well. Great platform even for larger guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael De Simone
07-18-2016, 01:59 PM
Ok sorry for not being more specific. I have sold all my sport bikes, I only have my cruiser and a few dirt bikes. So yes, I would be purchasing a used bike. I just gave examples of bikes I have found locally. I actually prefer to start scratch and build my own track bike as I am just crafty like that, I love the mechanical aspect of bikes as well as riding. In fact, I have a crf450r that I want to race Motard in after I get in some track time.

Ok with that said, at 5'11 and 250 pounds, I did ride an ex250 for nearly 4 years as a daily driver a few years back. Was not at all uncomfortable. I saw where numerous people race those, and find it very awesome. Even something I am very interested in. Plenty for sale locally, The older style 250 as well as the new style 250.

Another option to get "started" is a ex500 that I seen for sale locally. At this point I am just looking for a track day bike to get in laps/experience.

Yeah, I'd start with a 250 or 300. I would go with the newer style. Lots of parts still available. Less to operate.

Or Motard out the 450 now. No reason not to do a track day on that.

You can do a ridesmart day on your cruiser too. I've drug Goldwing guys out to the track before and they got a lot out of it.

Steven Smith
07-18-2016, 02:21 PM

As Michael said, the newer 250 is preferred, but if you decide to go with a 1st gen I am about to list one for $800 (firm) that has a ticking that started when the timing chain jumped a tooth. Only mentioning it since you said you wanted to build, and it could be a decent starting platform. Already has stainless lines, relatively new front rotor and new pads all f&r.

As to what others have said about progression rates, I was happy doing track days for about 4 years, and then one day out of the blue decided it was time to race. Having a blast doing it and can't get enough.

Anthony J Mulheron
07-18-2016, 07:11 PM
lol I have a Goldwing, it's what I used to commute on before I got a company truck. I will Motard it out soon, but I really want to get into sport bikes first. Just always been a dream to race.

I've talked to a few folks from the forum and I think move found a bike that will be perfect for me and its race ready. So that'll just get me one step closer to making the August track day.

Finding the bike is wasn't that hard as I thought, now it's leathers lol.

Casey Brown
07-19-2016, 07:55 AM
just be careful about when people say "race ready" as i have seen many bikes recently claiming this and are in actuality not close to being race ready...
the small things to make a bike fully race prepped can add up

just my 2 cents

David Tiede
07-19-2016, 10:16 AM
Lots of great advice here. I agree that for a new racer, smaller is better. We have a really strong "Ultra Light Weight" endurance series, and that is a great way to get seat time and improve your skills. TIn my experience, the small bikes make you faster on everything else.

Hope to see you out here soon!

Anthony J Mulheron
07-19-2016, 03:24 PM
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. Cant wait to get out there. Looking forward to it. Might drive up to Dallas this weekend to watch a bit. Show the wife what its all about.

I am interested in this Endurance racing, sounds like a lot of fun.

Anthony J Mulheron
07-19-2016, 03:25 PM
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. Cant wait to get out there. Looking forward to it. Might drive up to Dallas this weekend to watch a bit. Show the wife what its all about.

I am interested in this Endurance racing, sounds like a lot of fun.

Eric Falt
07-19-2016, 05:07 PM
Feel free to walk and sit in the pits...that is REAL COOL !!! Stop by the #44 pit...we will show you all about racing !

Dave Felio
07-19-2016, 09:47 PM
Are they all gone now...?

Psst...Anthony...All you need to know, right here:

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag192/dfelio/Realtime%20Racing/20150322_080124_zpsmrzrqvwe.jpg

Anthony J Mulheron
07-19-2016, 10:07 PM
nice!

Derek Thomas
07-20-2016, 11:32 AM
Anthony,
All good advise here. But let me add this...the expense of racing can become overwhelming if you let it. Buying a 250 or 300 is a great idea, but please realize(unless you have all the proper gear), your gonna spend probably around $2K in riding gear alone. Decide what the more economical way...250 or motard your current 450, is for you. Another thing....if you don't already have one, look into a life insurance policy that will help in the event you have an unfortunate event. And finally(but most importantly), speak to your wife and family and make sure everyone understands the potential hazards associated with this crazy sport we love. Good luck!

Derek
Desert Rats #47
Desert Brats #47

Anthony J Mulheron
07-20-2016, 01:49 PM
Anthony,
All good advise here. But let me add this...the expense of racing can become overwhelming if you let it. Buying a 250 or 300 is a great idea, but please realize(unless you have all the proper gear), your gonna spend probably around $2K in riding gear alone. Decide what the more economical way...250 or motard your current 450, is for you. Another thing....if you don't already have one, look into a life insurance policy that will help in the event you have an unfortunate event. And finally(but most importantly), speak to your wife and family and make sure everyone understands the potential hazards associated with this crazy sport we love. Good luck!

Derek
Desert Rats #47
Desert Brats #47

Derek,

Solid advice man thanks. Life insurance poicy, check. Wife, check. In fact, we will probably be spectators this coming weekend for a little while. Its our anniversery and we are going to dinner, golf, movies things like that. Also talked her into a trip up to Dallas. Yes, the gear is expensive for sure. I am figuring all that in right now.

Ive thougth about just motarding the 450, its on the ideas board. We will see what I decide after this weekend. Thanks again for the advice.

Anthony J Mulheron
07-20-2016, 01:50 PM
Feel free to walk and sit in the pits...that is REAL COOL !!! Stop by the #44 pit...we will show you all about racing !

I will probably see you there!

Staton Shed
07-20-2016, 07:31 PM
Motards make life better.

John Redford has a set of wheels for sale now at a decent price that may be a good fit for your CRF450.

Artem Volkov
08-03-2016, 07:44 AM
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. Cant wait to get out there.