PDA

View Full Version : New Tire selection for a new guy

Anthony J Mulheron
08-07-2016, 12:47 PM
OK as a lot of you read a couple weeks ago, I am ready to get involved in CMRA. With that said I have a lot of questions. I try to research it as much as I can but here is one that I interested in hearing from different racers. Actually, this is a two part question.

Question 1: There are tons of tires out there for track use. You could spend a fortune on tires (and I am sure most of you have) finding the "one" type you like.

What is the best way for me to go about trying different tires to find the one type that works best for me? Is it a buy them, race them and hope they are awesome kind of deal.

Question 2: Im sure most racers do a lot of their own work on their bikes (as I do). For the ones that take their bikes to a shop, who do people use that have race knowledgeable mechanics? I see The Bike Doctors and North Texas Superbikes advertised (and have good reviews) but they are a bit of a drive for me if I have a random problem I cant figure out. Any San Antonio to Corpus Christi to Houston areas?

Thanks all for the help.

Dean Darnell
08-07-2016, 02:42 PM
1: dunno.. I'm slow enough they all feel good to me.
2: San Antonio: Road and Track Suspension ( http://www.vonhertell.com/ )

Anthony J Mulheron
08-07-2016, 03:32 PM
1: dunno.. I'm slow enough they all feel good to me.
2: San Antonio: Road and Track Suspension ( http://www.vonhertell.com/ )

Great thanks for the info.

1. I will be in the same boat as you I am sure

2. Do they do carb and engine work or just suspension?

Dean Darnell
08-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Do they do carb and engine work or just suspension?
Dang near everything. He is also one of the CMRA class sponsors.

Anthony J Mulheron
08-07-2016, 04:38 PM
Awesome I'll give them a call then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Felio
08-07-2016, 04:55 PM
http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag192/dfelio/pirelligirl_zpsgmmudtt5.jpg

Anthony J Mulheron
08-07-2016, 05:36 PM
Pirelli it is...

Dave Felio
08-08-2016, 07:05 AM
John Hutchinson can set you up with a pair. Just go to the Pirelli truck at the next race weekend.

Jordan Pence
08-08-2016, 09:21 AM
most people just stick with the 4 or 5 tire vendors at the CMRA events due to ease of access and support at the track. Dunlop Pirelli, Bridgestone and Michelin. I use Pirelli.

Anthony J Mulheron
08-08-2016, 10:21 AM
John Hutchinson can set you up with a pair. Just go to the Pirelli truck at the next race weekend.

Right now my bike has the Pirelli Diablo Superbike Slicks. I'm sure these are a badass tire setup and once I get to track days I'll enjoy them. The front looks to only have one track day left on it according to the wear hole.

Anthony J Mulheron
08-08-2016, 10:23 AM
most people just stick with the 4 or 5 tire vendors at the CMRA events due to ease of access and support at the track. Dunlop Pirelli, Bridgestone and Michelin. I use Pirelli.

Yea when I went to watch the races up in Cresson a few weeks ago, I saw the track support. Thought it was pretty cool to have them there.

Sean Brown
08-08-2016, 12:04 PM
I highly recommend replacing the front tire now. It is less expensive to keep good rubber on the bike than it is to replace and repair everything from a wreck.

Brandon Cleland
08-08-2016, 02:33 PM
Anthony - WELCOME!

In regards to your tire question...A good way to try different tires is by purchasing "take-offs". The guys at the front typically do not race with the same tires all day. You'll find that a tire wtih 2-4 races on it still has a ton of life left and can be a great value to someone just starting out and not looking to set track records. Most of the time take offs are around $100-$200 a set instead of $450+.

I can save you some time and tell you that we have run the Pirelli SC1 rear and SC2 front with great success. I have ridden just about every tire company/compound and those are my favorite. The SC1 rear has great life and heat cycles really well for multiple uses.

Hope that helps.

Anthony J Mulheron
08-08-2016, 03:25 PM
I highly recommend replacing the front tire now. It is less expensive to keep good rubber on the bike than it is to replace and repair everything from a wreck.

My thoughts exactly, and I will replace it at MSR prior to my track day. Is it common to just replace one tire as it wears or do most replace both at the same time (not asking about the Pros and Experts, just normal racers)?

Anthony J Mulheron
08-08-2016, 03:27 PM
Anthony - WELCOME!

In regards to your tire question...A good way to try different tires is by purchasing "take-offs". The guys at the front typically do not race with the same tires all day. You'll find that a tire wtih 2-4 races on it still has a ton of life left and can be a great value to someone just starting out and not looking to set track records. Most of the time take offs are around $100-$200 a set instead of $450+.

I can save you some time and tell you that we have run the Pirelli SC1 rear and SC2 front with great success. I have ridden just about every tire company/compound and those are my favorite. The SC1 rear has great life and heat cycles really well for multiple uses.

Hope that helps.

Ok, I have heard of Take-offs before. Atleast I may have seen someone trying to sell them but didnt pay much mind to it. Im going to try and find some, seems to be a great way to get a good tire at a decent price. Thanks for the info, this is exactly what I was wondering.

David Hirsch
08-13-2016, 10:10 PM
Anthony, if you decide you would like to try the Michelin EVOs there is an offer that will be ending after the event at Cresson next week. Buy 2 rears and get a free front. If you have any questions give me a call 409-771-3950 or come by the tent at the track.

Andy Rutkus
08-15-2016, 06:45 PM
Anthony, im sorry if i misread your comment but have you never done a trackday? If not i would definitely not recommend going full race slicks if you dont have tire warmers. When i finally made the jump from street to track tires i didnt have tire warmers and in the round robin i felt like i was riding on ice and that was with an intermediate not a full slick!

Anthony J Mulheron
08-15-2016, 09:06 PM
Anthony, im sorry if i misread your comment but have you never done a trackday? If not i would definitely not recommend going full race slicks if you dont have tire warmers. When i finally made the jump from street to track tires i didnt have tire warmers and in the round robin i felt like i was riding on ice and that was with an intermediate not a full slick!

thanks for the info Andy. The bike I have already has full slicks. I am looking at getting something more suited for trackdays. Ive got plenty of years on the road just not the track so i am concerned about having the right tires. Thanks for the info.

Anthony J Mulheron
08-15-2016, 09:08 PM
Anthony, if you decide you would like to try the Michelin EVOs there is an offer that will be ending after the event at Cresson next week. Buy 2 rears and get a free front. If you have any questions give me a call 409-771-3950 or come by the tent at the track.

Hey David,
Thanks for the reply. I would like to see what you offer for tires for a 2000 GxsR 600. I'll give you a call to get some info and prices. THanks again

Matthew Palmore
08-15-2016, 09:37 PM
I'm the Bridgestone Rep.. As others before said since this is your first time adventuring to the track, slicks would be a bad idea. We have a tire perfectly suited for you called the RS10. Its marketed as an aggressive street tire with a focus toward the track.. you wont see a lot of mileage out of them but you will have grip and it heats up quickly. Each manufacturer will have a tire suited for your level as you progress in the sport. It is best to try them all as they all have pros/cons and suit different riding styles. Just dont jump on the bandwagon *cough cough pirelli* because someone says its the best as that's just ignorant. With today' tire technology You can win on anything. Our two fastest guys in the club..one runs the softest tire carcass the other runs arguably the stiffest tire carcass. they compete within tenths of a second of each other. I love motorcycle racing because it all comes down to the rider.. sure.. equipment helps. But as i said before.. today' rubber is phenomenal so its about finding the happy medium for your wallet and what you want out of the tire. The benefit to our tire service is we are at all the Ridesmart events as well as the Races.. so support is continues throughout the season where as pirelli/michelin/dunlop you will only find at the race weekends or if its shipped to you before hand.

Hector Barreto
08-15-2016, 10:15 PM
I'm curious......if you can win on anything why doesn't Bridgestone ever win anything???? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

P.s all in good fun Mathew.

Matthew Palmore
08-15-2016, 11:05 PM
I'm curious......if you can win on anything why doesn't Bridgestone ever win anything???? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

P.s all in good fun Mathew.

Pretty hate machine has won 6 in a row. My team has won 2 of the last 4 and has a chance at a championship...on an RS10.. a street tire. I also took around 20 podiums last year on them and didn't pay for tires but once because of contingency.

Matthew Palmore
08-15-2016, 11:06 PM
I have absolute faith you could do just as well on a set to.. all in good fun of course ;)

Josh Henke
08-15-2016, 11:13 PM
Torquasaurus at NOLA, half on rains, half on slicks.:wave:

Anthony J Mulheron
08-17-2016, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE=Matthew Palmore;330902]I'm the Bridgestone Rep.. As others before said since this is your first time adventuring to the track, slicks would be a bad idea. We have a tire perfectly suited for you called the RS10. Its marketed as an aggressive street tire with a focus toward the track.. you wont see a lot of mileage out of them but you will have grip and it heats up quickly. Each manufacturer will have a tire suited for your level as you progress in the sport. It is best to try them all as they all have pros/cons and suit different riding styles. Just dont jump on the bandwagon *cough cough pirelli* because someone says its the best as that's just ignorant. With today' tire technology You can win on anything. Our two fastest guys in the club..one runs the softest tire carcass the other runs arguably the stiffest tire carcass. they compete within tenths of a second of each other. I love motorcycle racing because it all comes down to the rider.. sure.. equipment helps. But as i said before.. today' rubber is phenomenal so its about finding the happy medium for your wallet and what you want out of the tire. The benefit to our tire service is we are at all the Ridesmart events as well as the Races.. so support is continues throughout the season where as pirelli/michelin/dunlop you will only find at the race weekends or if its shipped to you before hand.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the honest reply, PM sent

dean webster
08-18-2016, 11:34 AM
Don't you dare start an oil thread, Mulherton.....:burnout:

Like everyone says, try them all and then go with what feels best for you.

The Purple Helmets have ridden 3 brands this year.....

Anthony J Mulheron
08-18-2016, 04:44 PM
Don't you dare start an oil thread, Mulherton.....:burnout:

Like everyone says, try them all and then go with what feels best for you.

The Purple Helmets have ridden 3 brands this year.....

What a can of worms lmao

Matthew and I have messaged back and forth a bit and he is pretty informative. He never said his brand he carries is the best, he also said try them and see for yourself. Out of everyone I have talked to I appreciate that approach the best. But yes, I will try numerous tires until I find the "one"

Next topic will be....