PDA

View Full Version : sponsorship question

Mike Ziegler
09-24-2016, 12:19 AM
I have a question about sponsorships. I just looked at the standings from hallett 9/18/16 and i noticed that almost everyone has a lot of sponsors next to their names.
My Question is...How does one go about getting sponsors? Do you just add decals to your bike and list them? do you ask the individual sponsors to add you? I'm not anywhere near the top 3, which usually is what pays out,,correct?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Mike (Ziggy) Ziegler #609

Carter Rossner
09-24-2016, 12:50 AM
There's really three kinds of sponsors for most of us.

1) Your class sponsors. For classes with sponsors, you need to list that company underneath your sponsors to pick up your award for that race if you do get the podium (or whatever spots pay out). There's no need to contact anybody, and most sponsors don't have a requirement beyond just listing them to get your award.
2) Your contingency sponsors. These companies (http://www.cmraracing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=888&d=1469026777) pay out contingencies for CMRA races. Most contingency deals require that you list them as a sponsor and also put a decal on the bike as well as a patch on your leathers. But like class sponsors, you generally don't need to "get" them. If you file the right paperwork with the CMRA, your contingency info is sent out to the proper people generally within a week or two of a race. Those sponsors will then mail you whatever you won.
3) Your personal sponsors. Those are companies (or individuals, I guess) whom you've approached directly and said, "Hey, can I have some stuff?" In all honesty, it's pretty easy to do. A lot of companies that make performance gear/parts have links to inquire about sponsorships somewhere on their websites. The requirements to get *something* are pretty low, and don't need to pertain to racing 100%. For example, if you're a track day instructor, that's worth something. If you're active in your street group, that's worth something. If you've got a popular youtube channel, that's something. I've gotten a few sponsorships just by saying that I attend 5-6 rounds per year, am an organizer for my local street riding group, and have a youtube channel with about 200 subscribers. I finish in the middle of the pack in novice classes. Will that resume mean you wake up with a brand new GP-Tech suit on your doorstep? No. But it might mean 20, 30, even 40% off retail prices, or certain bundle deals. Requirements as far as stickers, patches, etc. differ depending on your individual agreement.

Zach Morris
09-24-2016, 07:50 AM
There's really three kinds of sponsors for most of us.

1) Your class sponsors. For classes with sponsors, you need to list that company underneath your sponsors to pick up your award for that race if you do get the podium (or whatever spots pay out). There's no need to contact anybody, and most sponsors don't have a requirement beyond just listing them to get your award.
2) Your contingency sponsors. These companies (http://www.cmraracing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=888&d=1469026777) pay out contingencies for CMRA races. Most contingency deals require that you list them as a sponsor and also put a decal on the bike as well as a patch on your leathers. But like class sponsors, you generally don't need to "get" them. If you file the right paperwork with the CMRA, your contingency info is sent out to the proper people generally within a week or two of a race. Those sponsors will then mail you whatever you won.
3) Your personal sponsors. Those are companies (or individuals, I guess) whom you've approached directly and said, "Hey, can I have some stuff?" In all honesty, it's pretty easy to do. A lot of companies that make performance gear/parts have links to inquire about sponsorships somewhere on their websites. The requirements to get *something* are pretty low, and don't need to pertain to racing 100%. For example, if you're a track day instructor, that's worth something. If you're active in your street group, that's worth something. If you've got a popular youtube channel, that's something. I've gotten a few sponsorships just by saying that I attend 5-6 rounds per year, am an organizer for my local street riding group, and have a youtube channel with about 200 subscribers. I finish in the middle of the pack in novice classes. Will that resume mean you wake up with a brand new GP-Tech suit on your doorstep? No. But it might mean 20, 30, even 40% off retail prices, or certain bundle deals. Requirements as far as stickers, patches, etc. differ depending on your individual agreement.

Cycle Gear hands out sponsorship forms for free and either gives you $10 or $20 in credit for each race weekend you complete and list them as a sponsor. Ask for the manager at your local store to score a copy of the form.

Bryan Hodges
09-24-2016, 11:54 AM
Cycle Gear hands out sponsorship forms for free and either gives you $10 or $20 in credit for each race weekend you complete and list them as a sponsor. Ask for the manager at your local store to score a copy of the form.
Not quite... They give you $25 for signing up and $50 for every five race finishes or each win up to a certain amount of times. Store credit of course.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Mike Ziegler
09-24-2016, 02:40 PM
Wow... Excellent Info... Thank You Very Much For Your Responses... i Have Some Decals On My Bike Of Gear or Products I use... I guess I'll Fill Out The Paperwork... I Overheard A few Guys Talking at The Track About Getting Their Race Entries Paid For... I'll Look More Into This, Now That I Have All This Great Info...

Alan Etheredge
09-25-2016, 12:21 PM
On the "Forms" page under miscellaneous (fax or scan/email to Nancy) http://www.cmraracing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=813&d=1455135368

Or, we have them on the table in registration with other forms at all events - just ask if you need help ;-)

Your 'sponsor list' carries over event-to-event through the season but is 'purged' at the end of each year. You can add/delete items on your list any time, just submit a new form with your changes.

See the Forms page for info on both Class Sponsors and Contingency programs http://www.cmraracing.com/content.php?8-forms&tabid=122

Mike Ziegler
09-25-2016, 03:19 PM
Thank you Alan... I'll look into it at TWS

Kevin Guenter
09-26-2016, 10:13 AM
Check out hookit.com as well.

David Roy
09-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Mike,

I sponsor any racer that wants it as well we sponsor classes individually.

Thanks
David

Zach Morris
09-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Mike,

Thanks
David

What might that provide and what are the qualifications?

Mike Ziegler
09-26-2016, 01:40 PM
Well Then..I'd Love To talk to You At TWS... also... can i get a spot in-between one of Dewayne Davis's Sweet 680 bikes? just a small space...lol... Thanks David...

Mike,

Thanks
David

Brian Yuan
09-26-2016, 04:27 PM
Just wanted to add a quick note from what I've learned and taken away from my first full year in CMRA. Hookit contracts are good for things like when you break your bike, but really you should only have a few main sponsors(aside from the class sponsors that really help out the club). I find hookit creates a poor relationship with your support companies for many..its too easy for some to make it impersonal...id be surprised if more than a handful of accepted applicants actually took the time to call the hookit sponsor or email and say thank you. If you want to help your club or the sport itself out, the approach you should take is "how can i creatively" help company market their service or product in return for aide with their products/services. The days of throwing a decal on your bike and calling it a day are not enough in my opinion. Entitlement is for the birds. But there is no secret formula as every individual has different characteristics they bring to the table. maybe you are the next superstar...chances are with CMRA, thats a big shoe to fill with the talent we have here. So its easier to look at other things for now... Are you a social media guru and have 3000 followers? are you skilled in a particular industries such as textiles/fabrics and can give honest reviews about products? Can you make wicked videos that bring millions to watch? do you attend alot of bike nights and have a voice in the community? Do you have a pretty face like Patrick Ortega and can model products on calendars sold on amazon? or maybe you crash alot and companies want you to test their products. Whatever it is, just remember with however many dollars you take out of the pot that a given company can use to sponsor riders in aid or support, is a dollar someone else could have used....or on the flip side if you take more than you give, why would a company want to continue sponsoring people next year. The last bit of advice...just because someone doesnt use a company's product with motorcycles, doesnt mean it wouldnt be a good idea. Good luck!

Mitch Williams
09-26-2016, 08:25 PM
The days of throwing a decal on your bike and calling it a day are not enough in my opinion. Entitlement is for the birds. But there is no secret formula as every individual has different characteristics they bring to the table. maybe you are the next superstar...chances are with CMRA, thats a big shoe to fill with the talent we have here. So its easier to look at other things for now... Are you a social media guru and have 3000 followers? are you skilled in a particular industries such as textiles/fabrics and can give honest reviews about products? Can you make wicked videos that bring millions to watch? do you attend alot of bike nights and have a voice in the community? Do you have a pretty face like Patrick Ortega and can model products on calendars sold on amazon? or maybe you crash alot and companies want you to test their products. Whatever it is, just remember with however many dollars you take out of the pot that a given company can use to sponsor riders in aid or support, is a dollar someone else could have used....or on the flip side if you take more than you give, why would a company want to continue sponsoring people next year.

This guy gets it!

Brandon Orr
09-27-2016, 08:28 AM
The worst thing you can do is get a bunch of free or discounted parts and never mention them.
When I see someone mention their sponsor too often though I feel like their opinion was bought. Which may or may not be the case, but when someone runs a product that they genuinely like, you can usually tell. A lot of stuff I would continue to run without a discount because I that is what I like. I always try to recommend those products to other riders when asked.

Joe Lopez
09-27-2016, 09:50 PM
Do you have a pretty face like Patrick Ortega and can model products on calendars sold on amazon?

You got some great points there.
But, that "Rico Swave" (aka Patrick Albert) literally had me rolling.
With that pretty boy comb over too!

Mike Ziegler
09-27-2016, 10:45 PM
You got some great points there.
But, that "Rico Swave" (aka Patrick Albert) literally had me rolling.
With that pretty boy comb over too!

LOL...I Texted Patrick And Told Him To look At the post... He's Like... I Never Posed For A Calendar...That I Know Of...:thumb:

Steve Ebeling
09-28-2016, 05:08 PM
The worst thing you can do is get a bunch of free or discounted parts and never mention them.
When I see someone mention their sponsor too often though I feel like their opinion was bought. Which may or may not be the case, but when someone runs a product that they genuinely like, you can usually tell. A lot of stuff I would continue to run without a discount because I that is what I like. I always try to recommend those products to other riders when asked.
I need some cannabis decals..

Brian Yuan
09-29-2016, 09:22 AM
Mike, dont believe him. Here is one from a "Purple Power" Cleaning Ad. theres another one im looking for
https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13435384_10104061426311007_2843090493052814825_n.j pg?oh=d0d80b622aa06f40ab47810ce3c8be12&oe=586C8D48

Mike Ziegler
09-29-2016, 03:14 PM
Oh Boy...Shots Fired...
Mike, dont believe him. Here is one from a "Purple Power" Cleaning Ad. theres another one im looking for
https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13435384_10104061426311007_2843090493052814825_n.j pg?oh=d0d80b622aa06f40ab47810ce3c8be12&oe=586C8D48

Randy Autry
09-30-2016, 06:28 PM
Don't let Brian Yuan tell you he hasn't posed either...here's proof! HAHAHAHAHA!!
http://www.autrygrp.com/brianugirl.jpg

robert duncan
09-30-2016, 09:20 PM
Now I don't care who you are dat rite Dar is funny

Robert Lackey
10-03-2016, 12:50 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHA What?!?!

David Roy
10-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Brandon.. All sponsors want are adds.. So everytime they are mentioned or put in a blurb on Facebook or in a pic or on video, any way you can push a sponsors Image or name including word of mouth will keep sponsors happy. Just because you use it but are afraid or dislike being that guy that pushes their product that they are happy with your commitment to them.

David Roy
10-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Zach,

I have all levels of support for different riders depending on their level and experience. Easiest way is to just find me at the races when I have time and sit and talk about it for a couple of minutes. I am working on a huge NTXSBKS Sponsor deal for CMRA Racers for next season with our premier lines of products and distributed items. Ill have everything finalized hopefully by the end of the month.

D

Michael Snyder
10-04-2016, 01:51 PM
Ya'll David's NTXSBKS support package is awesome. Im an old slow winey racer with crap equipment and David takes care of me each weekend just like his best guys. It's a little weird at first not having to do anything yourself but when you get used to just putting on the leathers and go ride, you realize how much less stressful the weekend can be

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brian Yuan
10-04-2016, 03:39 PM
hahah randy got me again! i couldnt find patrick's picture!

Dewayne Davis
10-04-2016, 05:31 PM
Well Then..I'd Love To talk to You At TWS... also... can i get a spot in-between one of Dewayne Davis's Sweet 680 bikes? just a small space...lol... Thanks David...
You can get a space close to 680. They go at a premium price.:301: But the results are amazing.
David/ NTXSBKS are second to none. He has a great program for the slow or super fast guy or anyone in between.

Linz Leard
10-05-2016, 08:11 AM
In addition to the things discussed above, Ziggy, I always listed folks who did/do things for me for a discounted rate or went above and beyond. My brother restores cars, builds performance engines, and paints. He used to paint my bikes constantly back in the day. I listed him a sponsor. I have also long since listed my machine shop guy, Kerry Rea. He does great work. I got him into roadracing in the late 1990s because all the stuff I'd bring for him to machine, weld up or whathaveyou. I'm recommending him, so I list him as a sponsor even though he's not a contingent sponsor like some of the others here. I think the bottom line is you support the folks that support you.

David Roy
10-05-2016, 10:36 AM
Linz... Definitely Like.

Dewayne Davis
10-12-2016, 10:38 AM
You can get a space close to 680. They go at a premium price.:301: But the results are amazing.
David/ NTXSBKS are second to none. He has a great program for the slow or super fast guy or anyone in between.

I need to clarify a statement I made in the previous comment. It is very much fun to hang out with the 680 racer guy! LOL But the services David Roy and North Texas Superbikes offer come at a cost that is worth every penny you spend. As I stated above the results are amazing!

Mike Ziegler
10-12-2016, 06:34 PM
This is seriously good stuff...way more than i expected to happened...thank you very much everyone for all of the responses