PDA

View Full Version : How to do a one-time race weekend if I'm licensed with CCS?

Alex Vaipan
05-06-2017, 10:18 PM
I'm interested in possibly going to Hallett in a couple of weeks to race with CMRA. It would be my first time with CMRA, but I have raced with CCS and MRA in the last couple of years (my license is through CCS). Do I have to purchase a CMRA license, or pay some sort of fee to do just one weekend event, or how does this work?

Also, what is the cost for each race?

Carter Rossner
05-06-2017, 10:55 PM
We offer a 1-weekend license for racers from other regional clubs. They're $35. On the "forms" page above, just fill out the normal license application. You'll check the box for "new/returning CMRA member" and then say you were last licensed with the CCS in 2017. With your application, include a photo or scan of the front and back of your license. If you were an expert in CCS, you'll be an expert here. If you were an amateur or novice, you'll be a novice.

The costs are laid out on the pre-entry forms, also available on the "forms" page. But basically, for our Saturday small bike (<500cc) races, your first race is $65, your second is $55, and 3rd+ are $45. For Sunday big bike races, the first entry is $85, the second $65, the third and fourth $45 each, and fifth and beyond $35. Two 20-minute morning practice sessions are included with your first race entry. Friday practice is $150, and that's typically include six 20-minute sessions, red-flag and another delays notwithstanding.

All the forms include instructions to fax or e-mail your documents to Nancy, our club's do-it-all wonder woman. If you have any questions, she typically responds to e-mails same day. Or, if you like, you can handle everything at the track. That said, Saturday afternoons and Sunday mornings get pretty busy at the registration desk, so it'd probably be best to get as much done ahead of time as you can.

Be sure to bring your AMB transponder (if you have one), else it's $50 to rent one for the weekend.

Cody Stewart
05-07-2017, 01:11 AM
I'd have to double check the rule book, but I'm pretty sure you can do two races a year with a license from another approved organization. No extra licensing need to be purchased. The rule book is in one of the blue tabs at the top of the page.
-Cody

Alan Etheredge
05-07-2017, 01:19 AM
Alex, yes, you must fill out paperwork and be issued a CMRA license to race at our events.

If you hold a current CCS or MRA license there's an option to race with us under a free reciprocal license for two events each season. You would not get CMRA points under that arrangement, but that's usually not a factor if you only race a couple of events in the season. This is a popular option for one or two-time visitors who just want to join the competition with CMRA racers.

I urge you to call CMRA Administrator Nancy Selleck on Monday:
Office Hours: M-F, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Central Time
Office: 817.570.9779
Be sure to leave a message with call-back number if she's unable to answer when you call.

Nancy will be glad to talk with you about your specific situation and help ensure you have a great time if you decide to join us at Hallett.

You are able to do licensing and registration in advance which would make things especially easy once you arrive at the track (and save you the additional $20 at-track entry fee) - just sign for your pre-entry package when you arrive and go straight to tech, avoiding registration lines and paperwork delay.

Consider downloading these forms and reviewing them before calling ... they will be required to pre-enter and though they can't be used for at-track paperwork, the forms you'll be given at the track are very similar
Race fees are explained here: License & Entry Fee Information Sheet (http://www.cmraracing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1025&d=1484606601)
Class Info: 2017 Class Courtesy Guide (http://www.cmraracing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1074&d=1488041266)
Event Schedule: Hallet May Event schedule (http://www.cmraracing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1053&d=1486504400)
Pre-license package: Competition License Application (http://www.cmraracing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=986&d=14805336552017) < this is used for the free reciprocal license, too, Nancy can explain how to do that
Pre-Entry Package: Sprint Pre-Entry Forms (http://www.cmraracing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1023&d=1484605929)

Pre-licensing and pre-entry for Hallet close on Thursday, May 11, so don't delay.

Hope to see you there!

Bryan Hodges
05-07-2017, 09:21 AM
You are able to do licensing and registration in advance which would make things especially easy once you arrive at the track (and save you the additional $20 at-track entry fee)

The rule book still says $10...

Nancy Selleck
05-07-2017, 12:04 PM
The rule book still says $10...

Thanks for pointing that out...it will corrected in the next addendum.

Steven Smith
05-07-2017, 04:15 PM
Alex - What bike will you be racing? Maybe you can get hooked up with a local CMRA racer who rides a similar bike to help you out at the track, as well as help us let you know what all classes you are elgible for as I know different orgs may have slightly different class naming and requirements.

Alex Vaipan
05-07-2017, 05:50 PM
Thank you all for the quick and detailed replies!

Alex - What bike will you be racing? Maybe you can get hooked up with a local CMRA racer who rides a similar bike to help you out at the track, as well as help us let you know what all classes you are elgible for as I know different orgs may have slightly different class naming and requirements.

Steven, I would be racing an R3 and a ZX6R. Looking through the class/category section in the rule book, it looks like that would mean 3 with the R3 (ULGP, 500 superstock, 500 superbike), and with the zx6r most likely C Superbike and B Superbike, unless I decide to swap out the slicks for DOT's, and then I can do C Superstock and B Superstock as well.

The one thing I'm not sure is if aftermarket wheels are allowed in either C or B Superstock? I didn't see any mention of that, leading me to believe they're legal, but I was really tired when I read through that so I might've easily missed it. I forged aluminum wheels on the ZX6R.

Alan Etheredge
05-07-2017, 07:06 PM
The one thing I'm not sure is if aftermarket wheels are allowed in either C or B Superstock? I didn't see any mention of that, leading me to believe they're legal, but I was really tired when I read through that so I might've easily missed it. I forged aluminum wheels on the ZX6R.Alex, key to reading the Superstock machine requirements is the last paragraph in the section on Rule Book page number 22:

Entirety of Superstock Allowances
The items above constitute the entire realm of deviation from showroom stock for Superstock classes. If it does not mention you CAN do it, then you CAN NOT.

So, absent a specific mention that aftermarket wheels are allowed, they are not in the Superstock classes.

You might want to check the Class Guide I linked above for hints on more classes that your R3 is eligible to enter (F3, "D", LWTwins).

Steven Smith
05-07-2017, 07:59 PM
The one thing I'm not sure is if aftermarket wheels are allowed in either C or B Superstock? I didn't see any mention of that, leading me to believe they're legal, but I was really tired when I read through that so I might've easily missed it. I forged aluminum wheels on the ZX6R.

I also race a ZX-6R, a 2009. If yours is a 2004 or older you can race modern classic. If you are over 40 years old, you can also sign up for the Formula 40 Middleweight class. Also, on Saturday you can ride in the Solo 30 races, Middleweight for the ZX6 and Lightweight for the R3 (mainly SV's, but you can still race, there will more than likely be other R3/RC390 too).

Alex Vaipan
05-07-2017, 10:54 PM
Alex, key to reading the Superstock machine requirements is the last paragraph in the section on Rule Book page number 22:

Entirety of Superstock Allowances
The items above constitute the entire realm of deviation from showroom stock for Superstock classes. If it does not mention you CAN do it, then you CAN NOT.

So, absent a specific mention that aftermarket wheels are allowed, they are not in the Superstock classes.

You might want to check the Class Guide I linked above for hints on more classes that your R3 is eligible to enter (F3, "D", LWTwins).

Ah yes, thank you! I interpreted wrong. I thought if it doesn't mention it, it's allowed, but it's the opposite. So no Superstock unless I change out the wheels.

I see on the schedule for Hallett that race #4 is 500 superbike/ULW GP...so those are 2 of the classes I could've done but they both run at the same time. Why would they run such similar classes at the same time? That basically reduces the amount of races anyone with a 300, R3, 390 can do by one.

I also race a ZX-6R, a 2009. If yours is a 2004 or older you can race modern classic. If you are over 40 years old, you can also sign up for the Formula 40 Middleweight class. Also, on Saturday you can ride in the Solo 30 races, Middleweight for the ZX6 and Lightweight for the R3 (mainly SV's, but you can still race, there will more than likely be other R3/RC390 too).

Mine's '09 as well, and I'm not 40. I did see the Solo 30 ones...but 18 laps at Hallett on a 600 seems like more than I can handle. On the R3 it would be ok.

My dilemma so far is deciding where to go. A few months ago I was pretty much set on coming out to Hallett on this weekend to race with you guys. But several weeks ago CCS made a change to their schedule and now the first weekend at Blackhawk is on this same weekend. So I'm just trying to figure out which one I want to go to, hence the questions I had. It'll basically come down to where I can do the most races/practice sessions for roughly the same cost.

Josh Henke
05-07-2017, 11:01 PM
I think you'll be very pleased with the CMRA experience and the level of competition. Plus, HMRC is a great track. Try it, and I'm sure you'll want more

Alex Vaipan
05-07-2017, 11:07 PM
I think you'll be very pleased with the CMRA experience and the level of competition. Plus, HMRC is a great track. Try it, and I'm sure you'll want more

I definitely like Hallett more than Blackhawk. I'm also more familiar with it having done 3 days there on 2 bikes last year (just track days though), whereas at Blackhawk I only have one day and that was 2 years ago (my very first time racing...I did terrible lol)

Jeremy Harvey
05-08-2017, 05:00 AM
Having raced both CCS and CMRA myself, I would recommend coming to Hallett with the CMRA. I think you'll really enjoy the weekend and might consider joining us again in the fall when we return.

Alex Vaipan
05-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Also how do race numbers work in a case like mine since I'm licensed with a different org? I have number 77 (novice) with CCS. More than likely there's already someone with that number in CMRA. Would I have to get a whole new number for that single event, or could I just put an "X" next to my number like other orgs do?

Alan Etheredge
05-08-2017, 12:11 PM
Also how do race numbers work in a case like mine since I'm licensed with a different org? I have number 77 (novice) with CCS. More than likely there's already someone with that number in CMRA. Would I have to get a whole new number for that single event, or could I just put an "X" next to my number like other orgs do?Make that call to Nancy, Alex - she'll be able to explain all that best with our current CMRA number list in front of her.