PDA

View Full Version : H2R Membership Question

Andy Rutkus
09-11-2017, 10:17 AM
I know alot of guys with the CMRA also have memberships to H2R. I live in Austin so it is the most convenient track to get more seat time and to dial in my bike other than what i currently do on non ridesmart track days/CMRA race weekends which is take my unregistered, no title, track bike on the street or a big parking lot (lots of pebbles and grease). If i got stopped im never getting the bike out of impound. Ive looked at how much it costs and how many motorcycle dedicated track days there is there per month and my question to everyone that also has membership there is A. If i cant make the mondays due to work, is it worth it? and B. Is the track condition comparable to ECR or another texas track thats a little better. C. Is the $500 membership fee a one time fee or is it yearly

Josh Henke
09-11-2017, 10:24 AM
I'm also interested. I get 0 seat time except for race time. Looked at H2R's site and scoffed at the prices. Seems like a model change would bring in more money, if there are many folks thinking like me.

Manny Poulis
09-11-2017, 12:55 PM
Andy and John.
First the,positive
H2R is better condition then ECR but not better then any of the other tracks on the cmra schedule. If u do good at the hill u will be better at other places, good place to get up to speed and improve ur skills and get faster
2) u do get alot of track time,at face value, meaning 6 riding days per month is good for the money u spend.
3) there are no sessions so u get,to,work on your endurance,
The 500 is one time only
The negatives
You can no,longer try and get faster then you currently are,
You can't work tieing section together to improve ur speed,
If you try and ride above 80% you will be talked to, and its not a 2 sided conversation.
It use to be the best place in the world imo
But it has now become a safety foundation and the difference in speeds makes it unsafe.

I love Harris hill been a member since 2012 but have given up my garage and my membership has been terminated by the current management because I voiced my opinion.

I will go back after the motorcycle program changes management but not before.

My 2 cents
Good luck.

Brandon Orr
09-11-2017, 02:01 PM
So I guess the track has some posted speed limits?

Haha, John I think I will start calling you that.

Carter Rossner
09-11-2017, 04:27 PM
H2R has been expanding their motorcycle days gradually over the years, and they may continue doing it, so keep an eye out even if it's not the best idea now.

That said, being unable to ride Mondays sealed the deal for me too, as far as membership goes. However, you can go pay $150 and ride for a day more or less whenever you like. On some very popular days they may not have that option, but that has never been an issue for me. They also have half-day "How we Roll" days, where you get a short orientation to the track, its facilities, and its membership policies before getting a half-day on the track. Those are $100. They're posted on their calendar page (http://harrishillroad.com/h2r-calendar.php)

The pace is definitely slow, I would say dangerously/problematically slow for a serious racer. I did a day out there on my Multistrada with Pilot Road 3s and had no problem passing about half the other riders. It is in fairly decent shape (they make repairs every year or so on the worst parts) and certainly has a lot of different types of turns. I would really just recommend going out for a single day and seeing how you like it. It's definitely a great resource for "test and tune" type situations. Keith Hertell is at most member days, so you'll typically have an expert at setup on hand if you think something is off.

Neil Klein
09-14-2017, 01:10 PM
This is interesting to me as I am in the same boat and would really like for H2R to work for me. I would primarily be riding a small bike (Ninja 250) and was curious what exactly determines your "pace" is too fast? Lap times? Passing people? Or some other "perception"? I would think that overall lap time on a ninjette would not be particularly fast, nor would outright speed. But passing people and corner speed ..... that is the whole point. So from that standpoint how tight do they hammer down on you?

David_Gonzalez
09-14-2017, 01:57 PM
For the times I've been there, as long you are a safe rider, it's ok to pass pretty much anywhere on the track except for 1 or two corners I belive.

As well passing pit in / out lane would get your ear pulled.

Christopher Simmons
09-14-2017, 06:14 PM
I'm a member and I ride my 300 ninja out there. I've never really had a problem, but I usually do Mondays when it's not so crowded. With no sessions, it's nice to be able to go on and come off as you please. Easy for making adjustments and such.

Tom Anderson
09-15-2017, 10:08 AM
If yall want to get the straight skinny, contact the track and talk to Craig Gleason. He runs it for the bikes. Fun track, reminds me of Oak Hill. Nice environment and nice people.

Keith Hertell
09-15-2017, 11:29 AM
I've been going there since before bikes were allowed to do track days.

The track is great to learn on, kinda like the old Oak Hill Raceway, it has some bumps but when you learn how to deal with them it will make you a faster rider wherever you go.

If you have any particular questions you can PM me and I'll help you out.