Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Refund Policy

Refund Policy

Hi Brooks and BOD,

I am generally only full of praise for the CMRA, the BOD and its staff. But this time I feel a little different- specifically with regard to the refund policies.

On Saturday at Hallett, having found that after working on it all day Friday and getting only 2 practice sessions, our endurance bike- also my sprint bike for Sunday- was still failing. The problems are of an electrical nature, and I elected to pull out of my Sunday races due to lack of parts.

Out of $110 in registration fees I am only receiving a $30 refund, and I find that preposterous, and even greedy. In my nine years with the CMRA, what few refunds I obtained were given without question or ďpenaltyĒ. Why has the CMRA suddenly elected to enforce this policy (which Nancy pointed out IS in the CCS rulebook)? Have we not been with CCS for a few years now? To my recollection, last year this self-serving policy was not enforced, and I know of one instance where an injured rider was able to "roll-over" his fees to a future race. A solution like that would appease me, but for the club to just keep 73% of the money is nuts! First, you penalize us $10 for not pre-registering. Understandably! I know how long lines get and I don't like standing in them either. And I know that Nancy and Co. prefer to see short lines themselves and have a smoother day. But this "refund policy" only encourages people to register at the last minute, and not risk losing their money in case of injury/ mechanical/ personal. I am more than willing to pay the associated administrative costs to cancel (right now I guess that stands at $10, but I'd be willing to double or even triple that! How much can it really cost to cancel out of a race?). I am well aware the CMRA is a business and has Insurance costs, track rental fees, etc, and has to make ends meet. Well, surprise folks. I also have many costs. My salary has not increased, yet your fees increase, as do many other fees and costs of living. I also now have to spend more money to get my bike working again so that indeed I can visit with the friendly, fast, and fun CMRA folks and spend some more money. But I'm starting to feel a little differently now- This policy is insulting! If I had gotten hurt on Friday or Saturday, and then to be belted with something like this on top of all the anguish and medical costs?! Talk about taking advantage of one's hardship!

Am I the first one to complain? Am I alone here in thinking that this is not fair? I spoke at length with Nancy about this (and also apologized for getting a little perturbed) and she suggested I write to the BOD. So here it is... I would request that something be done to remedy this insane policy for your upcoming rulebook. Furthermore, can I get a refund please? Take your administrative costs, and give me the rest. But explain to me how the CMRA has spent $80 to sign me up for two races, and then to cancel me out. Reminder: I cancelled on Saturday, BEFORE Sunday even started, yet Nancy remarked that I had already practiced. Excuse me, but I think that was a different cost, one that I paid for to practice on Friday and again to race on Saturday.
    I just can't make this add up. Iím not asking for sympathy, Iím just asking for what is honest and fair.

Yours truly,
    Andy Galindo
    Exp #46

Re: Refund Policy

I agree with Andy on this. I can't see why we need to keep that much money.I was more than a little surprised when he told me.
    I'd like to see this "rule" modified too. It really takes away the incentive to pre-register. What is something happens on endurance day? What if the bike blows on practice day? Anyways, you get the picture.
    You guys are doing a great job.I wish we could keep all of you(whether you like it or not).

Andy, I agree with much of what you have said here. I believe that as the CMRA is in the process of writing the 2004 rulebook, it is a perfect time to review the refund and cancellation policies (among others) and get them down in black and white.

I understand your frustration with the change in refund policy from previous years. Unfortunately, when I started working for the CMRA there was no written refund/cancellation policy specific to CMRA. From talking to both racers and staff, I have determined that prior to this year there was no "standard" policy for refunds. It was a moving target and your refund may have depended on who you were, what time of day it was or maybe if it was a full moon or not. Because of this, I was forced to use the one in the CCS rulebook.

My goal is to be fair, consistent and equitable to every CMRA member regardless of who they are and whether or not I liked my lunch on any given day.

I'm sure the Board of Directors is open to any suggestions on this subject as well as any other policy/rule change.
    Nancy Selleck
    Retired CMRA Administrator (October 2002 - March 2009, March 2010 - July 2018)

Nancy there was a standard refund policy printed on sheetmetal. It was located in the trailer.

Thanks, Eric.

I haven't seen that piece of sheetmetal; I'll have to ask Walter if he saw it when he cleaned out the old trailer.

Any idea why it was printed on sheetmetal, but not in the rulebook?
    Nancy Selleck

Eric, we're using the refund policy posted in the CCS rulebook, so as to make things consistent for our racers. When we are again independent, I'm sure we'll come up with a more equitable refund policy, publish it, and enforce it accordingly.
    Former Expert #33, member since 1988, BOD 2001-2004, retired 2008, returned 2016.

I used to be fast. Ask me about my championships. Bring beer.

Well, thanks for replying. In the end I don't mind playing by the rules, so long as they are known beforehand (I wouldn't have pre-registered), and this one definately surprised me.

I guess I'll just have to get it back in the form of some prize money... [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

At the very least know that you have 1 very strong vote for a reasonable change to this policy.

Andy, any suggestions toward the change in policy? What seems reasonable to you?
    Nancy Selleck

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Blog Entries

One suggestion might be to at least receive a full refund while registration is still open.

At the first Hallett, I went in to try and withdraw my pre-registration for the GT race and found the the rules said in order to receive a full refund, I would have had to submit my request in writing PRIOR to registration opening.....? Doesn't make much sense.

I'm looking forward to some reasonable flexibility in the future!
    EX #51
    Village Idiots #1 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017
    CMRA Board of Directors 2010-2014; 2016-2018

How about this?

Pre-registration - up to day before - 100% minus a administrative fee.

Pre-registration - day of event, up to end of practice - 75% back minus admin fee?

regular registration - up to end of practice - 50% back minus admin fee and late registration fee?

The admin fee is to cover credit card expenses, Nancy and Derek's time.

Jess
    Jesse Johnson

BBS admin