Thread: New rule book & points????

New rule book & points????

I understand you all are quite busy with the new rule book for our split with CCS. My question is in regards to the point structure. The way things stand now, if you enter a race and complete one lap, you gets points. This policy kind of confuses me because I believe that if you don't finish a race because of a crash/mechanical then you shouldn't be awarded points for a non-finish.
    (DNF)This seems to be the standard in most of the other sanctioning bodies so I am wondering if this is a CCS type rule and if this will be carrying over to the new rule book. If so, please explain why DNF's deserve points.
    #170 expert

Re: New rule book & points????

You have to balance the reasoning for the rule in the first place.

If you require a racer to cross the checker flag to get any points, that pushes riders to take to the track in potentially unsafe vehicles.

As an example - a racer crashes. With the current rules he can re-enter the race. If the rule for points requires him to cross the checker, in the heat of the moment he would retake the track on a machine that may not be safe becuase he needs the points.

Secondly, What if someone crashes in front of you, and takes you out. If you would not get any points then you could be out of the championship chase.

The ability to renter a race, and the way points are awarded was discussed at length at the last BoD meeting. Rest assured we looked at more than one other organization's rules. Stay tuned for the official 2004 CMRA rulebook.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Bryan Norton:
    You have to balance the reasoning for the rule in the first place.

If you require a racer to cross the checker flag to get any points, that pushes riders to take to the track in potentially unsafe vehicles.

As an example - a racer crashes. With the current rules he can re-enter the race. If the rule for points requires him to cross the checker, in the heat of the moment he would retake the track on a machine that may not be safe becuase he needs the points.

Secondly, What if someone crashes in front of you, and takes you out. If you would not get any points then you could be out of the championship chase.

The ability to renter a race, and the way points are awarded was discussed at length at the last BoD meeting. Rest assured we looked at more than one other organization's rules. Stay tuned for the official 2004 CMRA rulebook.
    </div></div>Okay, so he goes out in a race with only 12 riders, does 5 of 8 laps, crashes out and still comes up with 39 points? When I take the grid of 50 plus and crash in the same manner and I get nothing? Doesn't seem fair and reasonable to me.

Also, arent the corner workers (via race director)responsible for making sure a crashed rider doesn't re-enter the race on an unsafe bike.

Oh, the other organizations have a name for someone taking you out and you coming up with a big fat nothing......"thats racing." I don't wish that scenario on anyone, mind you, but it's part of the risk we all take when getting on the bike in the first place. The way things are now, you could be finishing good but not getting very far in front of your competitors because they crashed and still got points.
    #170 expert

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

My $.02:
    I've thought a couple of times that we should reduce the number of points for each position by about half. In other words, 1st place gets 30 points or so, and on down, in about the step sizes of today. Just that today, if a person misses one race, they're pretty much out of any semi-competitive class. If there is one person who makes all the races and he comes in last place in every race, he is almost guaranteed the championship in that class. There are lots of arguments here, and I agree that it should be a big knock on your championship run if you miss a race (such as going in the hole by 30 points!), but I don't think it should necessarily be an insurmountable loss.

Just a thought to throw in the bucket, from (of course) a guy who is never quite able to make all the races. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]

Good luck with the rule book and all and thanks again BOD!
    David B.

David, that's one of the issues we are still working out.
    If you only award 30 points for first, then only the top 20 positions get paid. We have had classes with 50 entries, so that means the bottom 30 would recieve no points.
    However, as you pointed out - If you missed a race (or crashed and receieved no points if that was the rule) then you wouldn't be 60 points behind...

That's the logic behind giving points even if you crash when the points structure awards 65 points for first...

So this is one of the few things that hasn't been cemeted yet. We want to insure a top rider can crash or miss a single race, and if they are good enough they could overcome the points deficit and win the championship(but it would not be easy at all)

Not to mention keep it simple and manageable for the staff to sort through for 20+ races per weekend.
    Jesse Johnson

BBS admin

I might bring up another factor that figures into this issue. With the return to Independent status, new class rules and other considerations that are still being worked on, changing the point system at he same time is asking our membership to accept an awful lot of changes at one time. To be prudent, perhaps the best measure would be to digest the changes on the table this season first. By this time next year we can undertake more steps to improve things.
    For what it is worth, I brought up the idea of changing the current point system at the last BOD meeting. I do believe we can tweek the system to improve it. But by postponing this decision for the moment, we can study alternatives throughly and make recomendations accordingly.
    I hope this answer is satisfactory.
    Brooks

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Brooks,
    That would be fine with me. I don't think the points structure is on the "top 10" list of things that need doing for next year. More on the list of things that could be a little better when we have time to get to it.

Thanks for all you and the other BOD members put into the club!
    David B.