Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: transponder info

Hybrid View

transponder info

BOD I've a question for ya. What is the status on transponders? I've got an idea. QUICK CALL RIPLEYS! Okay, so why don't we do this. Let everyone who wants to buy a transponder NOW do so at some group purchase price. Let's say the actual cost is $350. (I have no clue if this is even close) Let those who want to front the cash for it now do so. But make it advantageuos financially. Say, subsidize the riders $50 or something. Guessing it should be 10% or so to make it seem appealing. Now of course we'll have to charge more for the people who want to rent them or pay for them later. I think the price point should be a year worth of rental to pay for the transponder. So if they cost $350, and we have ten weekends charge them $40 a weekend. The advantage is clear- the club "finances" the transponders by those willing to make the smart investment of buying it up front. That is subsidized over time by the "finance charge" of those who are not willing to pay for it up front. The real numbers are probably way off from all of this, but the idea seems like a probable solution.
    The Short Bus Races Again!

Re: transponder info

We have a plan, we are just working dates, bulk prices, individual prices, rentals and such.

Stay tuned.

Jess
    Jesse Johnson

BBS admin

I think JOE has been reading the WERA BBS again [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
    IF YOU DO WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS DONE YOU GET WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS GOTTEN

KELLY DAVIS
    Member # 892 posted January 17, 2004 02:25 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think JOE has been reading the WERA BBS again

Am I under the impression that if I plan on racing with this club, that soon I will be forced to either purchase a transponder or rent one at a substantially increased price over the course of the season? Are we heading in this direction?

I thought that the club success that we've all heard of by increased numbers (membership/entry fees) was subsidizing the cost of the system.
    #170 expert

$300ish is the price of a set of tires that
    most people wouldn't think twice about purchasing for a race weekend.

In the big scheme of things for what it cost to
    race for a year a set of tires isn't a big deal.

If you are planing to race for more then a year
    buy a transponder and be done with it.

Most all clubs are going this way. It's the future, embrace it.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

how about a rent to own program? I hear thats what WERA is doing.
    IF YOU DO WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS DONE YOU GET WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS GOTTEN

what is the WERA BBS URL?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Emmett Dibble:

Most all clubs are going this way. It's the future, embrace it.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    </div></div>That's kinda my only concern. Is the system that we are looking at proven? And actually I plagiarized the idea from Brooks, with some minor modifications. Not Wera. :-D

For all intents, the system we're looking at is the same as the one we already have. It's more than proven, hardware-wise, at least (some organizations that use the AMB hardware insist on using their own software, and that's where any problems that arise have usually come from; we've been running AMB's Orbits software in the endurance series with few, if any, problems--correct, Derek?).

I think the only problem we might have, from a hardware standpoint, will be finding a common place to mount the transponder. We've always done top-o-the-tail, but it seems everybody else is going to someplace on the front forks; the main thing in sprint racing is to get a common placement with respect to the front wheel, so in the event of an extremely close finish, the transponder on the bike whose front wheel crosses the line first is also the first transponder across the line (this hasn't been too important in endurance racing); it's also important not to have anything interfering with the signal from the transponder to the scoring loop in the track.
    Former Expert #33, member since 1988, BOD 2001-2004, retired 2008, returned 2016.

I used to be fast. Ask me about my championships. Bring beer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Joe Browning:
    what is the WERA BBS URL? </div></div> http://forums.13x.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=12
    A little slower in the here and now
    A lot faster in the "There I was...