Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Jr. Mini Motard?

Jr. Mini Motard?

BOD,

First of all I would like to thank all of you for the great weekend I spent with my 8 year old son (Ethan) racing at OHR. Jr. Motard was an excellent idea. It really makes the event more fun for the whole family. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] I do have a couple of suggestions that might help the class become more popular to kids and parents. You see, my son was racing the xr 50 by the rules (pipe only) and did not have a chance against the TTR 90's. The whole way home he was asking me how he can do better next time. I told him that he did great, but the other kids bike's are faster than his. Is there anyway we can even up the playing field here for other manufacturers to compete in this race? I support the Honda product line and would like to be able to stick with the bike. My son however, will get discouraged if he cannot do any better than 6th place. Someone at the track mentioned this class is a noncompetative class. I think that is rediculous because there is nothing noncompetative about racing and to send our kids that mixed message is silly. Think about it, "now junior don't worry about it the other kids just have a faster bike". Then here comes dad in from the track talking under his breath about the guy running an oil cooler, and that is against the rules. As if the other guys oil cooler was the reason he got beat. If we don't want to allow mods because of money then please re-think that issue as well, and let me buy a $350 bore kit instead of a $1700 motorcycle, $300 front wheel, and $125 set of tires. I don't want to cause waves or anymosity with any of you on this BOD but my son wants to compete. The solution above looks to be easy enough but incase it is not I have another idea that will cost the club nothing. We give out placks to all the kids so why not split the class into light and heavy, and run them together. This would allow PW-50's, xr-50's, drz-50's, and klx-50's to all run together and then the xr-70's, ttr-90's to run as well. This approach might allow the participation of the DRZ, and KLX 110's. This way the small kids can ride their small bikes and get a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd plack instead of a 6th, 7th, or 8th. I realize that some of you might think I should feel lucky enough just to have my kid able to participate and I want to re-emphasize the fact that I am ver greatful. But I also think with just a little more thought we can make it even better. I can't imagine that the cost to get 7 heavy class placks printed and 5-6 light class placks printed as appossed to 11 of the same to be much different. But if there is a cost difference I will pick up the tab in full for the whole season. You tell me how much and I will right the check at the next event.

Sincerely,

Eric Yost

Jr. Mini Motard?

BOD,

First of all I would like to thank all of you for the great weekend I spent with my 8 year old son (Ethan) racing at OHR. Jr. Motard was an excellent idea. It really makes the event more fun for the whole family. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] I do have a couple of suggestions that might help the class become more popular to kids and parents. You see, my son was racing the xr 50 by the rules (pipe only) and did not have a chance against the TTR 90's. The whole way home he was asking me how he can do better next time. I told him that he did great, but the other kids bike's are faster than his. Is there anyway we can even up the playing field here for other manufacturers to compete in this race? I support the Honda product line and would like to be able to stick with the bike. My son however, will get discouraged if he cannot do any better than 6th place. Someone at the track mentioned this class is a noncompetative class. I think that is rediculous because there is nothing noncompetative about racing and to send our kids that mixed message is silly. Think about it, "now junior don't worry about it the other kids just have a faster bike". Then here comes dad in from the track talking under his breath about the guy running an oil cooler, and that is against the rules. As if the other guys oil cooler was the reason he got beat. If we don't want to allow mods because of money then please re-think that issue as well, and let me buy a $350 bore kit instead of a $1700 motorcycle, $300 front wheel, and $125 set of tires. I don't want to cause waves or anymosity with any of you on this BOD but my son wants to compete. The solution above looks to be easy enough but incase it is not I have another idea that will cost the club nothing. We give out placks to all the kids so why not split the class into light and heavy, and run them together. This would allow PW-50's, xr-50's, drz-50's, and klx-50's to all run together and then the xr-70's, ttr-90's to run as well. This approach might allow the participation of the DRZ, and KLX 110's. This way the small kids can ride their small bikes and get a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd plack instead of a 6th, 7th, or 8th. I realize that some of you might think I should feel lucky enough just to have my kid able to participate and I want to re-emphasize the fact that I am ver greatful. But I also think with just a little more thought we can make it even better. I can't imagine that the cost to get 7 heavy class placks printed and 5-6 light class placks printed as appossed to 11 of the same to be much different. But if there is a cost difference I will pick up the tab in full for the whole season. You tell me how much and I will right the check at the next event.

Sincerely,

Eric Yost

Steve McNamara

Re: Jr. Mini Motard?

Eric,

We introduced this class to allow our Jr.'s to get their feet wet into racing. I understand that children at that age can be very competitive. I'm not sure if separating bikes by size is the answer. I do feel that the solution may be to keep CC's to a class maximum for all entrants. Maybe allowing a big bore kit on an XR50??

Our fear is seeing this get out of hand ie:
    a spending match by parents with head porting, valve jobs, cams, etc.....
    I'll get with Bryan and the other BoD's and see if we have a fair solution.

Steve McNamara

Eric,

We introduced this class to allow our Jr.'s to get their feet wet into racing. I understand that children at that age can be very competitive. I'm not sure if separating bikes by size is the answer. I do feel that the solution may be to keep CC's to a class maximum for all entrants. Maybe allowing a big bore kit on an XR50??

Our fear is seeing this get out of hand ie:
    a spending match by parents with head porting, valve jobs, cams, etc.....
    I'll get with Bryan and the other BoD's and see if we have a fair solution.

Eric, Steve and Bryon,

Two Bros has dynos on almost all the mini's in various states of tune. Their website or a call to them should get you info on what would make the various bikes comparable power wise. A TTR90 with a pipe is about 5.5HP. That is about the same as a KLX110 with the stock pipe, but not with an aftermarket. They also have dyno's on big bore kits for the 50's. Depending on what's in the kit, an 88cc big bore on and XR 50 would be about equal to the TTR90.

Here's the link http://www.twobros.com/
    Mike Wright

Eric, Steve and Bryon,

Two Bros has dynos on almost all the mini's in various states of tune. Their website or a call to them should get you info on what would make the various bikes comparable power wise. A TTR90 with a pipe is about 5.5HP. That is about the same as a KLX110 with the stock pipe, but not with an aftermarket. They also have dyno's on big bore kits for the 50's. Depending on what's in the kit, an 88cc big bore on and XR 50 would be about equal to the TTR90.

Here's the link http://www.twobros.com/
    Mike Wright

The input is appreciated because it shows there is a divergence of opinions on this subject.
    I was a big supporter of getting this class on the grid for a couple of reasons. One was to offer the children something to look forward when they went to the track for the weekend with their parents. This, together with the aspect that we were cracking down on kid's opportunities to ride thier small bikes in the paddock.
    The second reason was to provide an entry level opportunity for children to get into the sport. I can tell you from talking to OEM's and other organizations, we have hit upon a solution that is attracting national attention.
    A trophy or some sort of recognition for Every participant. If they and their parents want to keep score fine, if they don't and I can tell you many don't because I loaned out a TT 90 last season just so kids could race and they could'nt have cared less. Some do, some don't.
    That is the program. Getting youngsters started on the footing that says you're here to have fun and learn the sport, when you get better we'll move up in bike size (just like the big folks do), is not "SILLY" in my book. Rather a dad running over and complaining about an illegal oil cooler is the silliness we want to avoid. At all costs.
    I guarentee every kid with an ounce of competition in his/her blood will want to win. That is part of the equation isn't it? That is the way it is at any age. But we offer a set of rules and folks are free to compete within those guidelines. If a XR 50 doesn't stack up well against a 90cc bike, do we offer a complex set of rules to provide for mods to equate them? (For what it's worth, I recently put a 88cc kit and pipe on a XR 50. It runs like snot but it's scary to ride because the handling wasn't made for this HP increase. Now do I add forks and a shock? Now we're really spending money. A used 90cc would be a lot less expensive). As soon as we start down the slope of determining which performance mods will be allowed for each model of bikes, we might as well go back to the old way of doing business and wait 'til they can ride a YSR.
    Have you seen the amount of discussion involved in determining what mods will be allowed for the mini classes?? Please spare us.
    My vote will be for keeping this class organized along the original premises as stated above. Maybe a divided displacement class is worth considering.
    Just my two cents. Certainly no offense intended.
    Brooks

The input is appreciated because it shows there is a divergence of opinions on this subject.
    I was a big supporter of getting this class on the grid for a couple of reasons. One was to offer the children something to look forward when they went to the track for the weekend with their parents. This, together with the aspect that we were cracking down on kid's opportunities to ride thier small bikes in the paddock.
    The second reason was to provide an entry level opportunity for children to get into the sport. I can tell you from talking to OEM's and other organizations, we have hit upon a solution that is attracting national attention.
    A trophy or some sort of recognition for Every participant. If they and their parents want to keep score fine, if they don't and I can tell you many don't because I loaned out a TT 90 last season just so kids could race and they could'nt have cared less. Some do, some don't.
    That is the program. Getting youngsters started on the footing that says you're here to have fun and learn the sport, when you get better we'll move up in bike size (just like the big folks do), is not "SILLY" in my book. Rather a dad running over and complaining about an illegal oil cooler is the silliness we want to avoid. At all costs.
    I guarentee every kid with an ounce of competition in his/her blood will want to win. That is part of the equation isn't it? That is the way it is at any age. But we offer a set of rules and folks are free to compete within those guidelines. If a XR 50 doesn't stack up well against a 90cc bike, do we offer a complex set of rules to provide for mods to equate them? (For what it's worth, I recently put a 88cc kit and pipe on a XR 50. It runs like snot but it's scary to ride because the handling wasn't made for this HP increase. Now do I add forks and a shock? Now we're really spending money. A used 90cc would be a lot less expensive). As soon as we start down the slope of determining which performance mods will be allowed for each model of bikes, we might as well go back to the old way of doing business and wait 'til they can ride a YSR.
    Have you seen the amount of discussion involved in determining what mods will be allowed for the mini classes?? Please spare us.
    My vote will be for keeping this class organized along the original premises as stated above. Maybe a divided displacement class is worth considering.
    Just my two cents. Certainly no offense intended.
    Brooks

Steve,

I really don't care which way the BOD decides to go on this one but I would love to see the racing be competative for all kids. I really do appreciate your response and my little boy will be thrilled if he can stay on the Honda.

Mike,

You are correct a Kitaco or Takagawa kit puts the xr 50 real close to the ttr 90. There is no head work involved, just a jug, piston, and carb. I would really like the little boy on the klx 110 to have a chance to compete as well. My son Ethan and him were riding around together in the field and he seems to be a good kid. He rode the knobbies off that 110 but was obviously disqualified for the displacement. That would be really cool if we could allow some mods for the small bikes and a pipe mod for the 90's and none for the 110's. Now everyone is participating and more importantly having a blast.

I want to thank the BOD in advance for your understanding.

Thanks, Eric Yost

Steve,

I really don't care which way the BOD decides to go on this one but I would love to see the racing be competative for all kids. I really do appreciate your response and my little boy will be thrilled if he can stay on the Honda.

Mike,

You are correct a Kitaco or Takagawa kit puts the xr 50 real close to the ttr 90. There is no head work involved, just a jug, piston, and carb. I would really like the little boy on the klx 110 to have a chance to compete as well. My son Ethan and him were riding around together in the field and he seems to be a good kid. He rode the knobbies off that 110 but was obviously disqualified for the displacement. That would be really cool if we could allow some mods for the small bikes and a pipe mod for the 90's and none for the 110's. Now everyone is participating and more importantly having a blast.

I want to thank the BOD in advance for your understanding.

Thanks, Eric Yost