Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jr. Mini Motard?

Re: Jr. Mini Motard?

I'll jump in for a second.

With ANY class structure, some bikes will be more competitive than others. Allowing certain bikes certain modifications becomes complex. I don't want to see protests in the Jr Motard class!

The idea is to get their feet wet and have them ready for the Formula 7 class when they are old enough in fact, some of the jr motard riders are old enough for F7). With a year or two of Jr Motard, they won't be as shocked when they are on the track with faster bikes.

I am in the same place as you, my boys PW50 isn't going to be competitive against a PW80.

There are options, but I don't think they fit with the spirit of the class. The original draft of the class was actually a spec class with only one machine allowed.

I have one thing I am working on, I am discussing it with the BoD.

I'll jump in for a second.

With ANY class structure, some bikes will be more competitive than others. Allowing certain bikes certain modifications becomes complex. I don't want to see protests in the Jr Motard class!

The idea is to get their feet wet and have them ready for the Formula 7 class when they are old enough in fact, some of the jr motard riders are old enough for F7). With a year or two of Jr Motard, they won't be as shocked when they are on the track with faster bikes.

I am in the same place as you, my boys PW50 isn't going to be competitive against a PW80.

There are options, but I don't think they fit with the spirit of the class. The original draft of the class was actually a spec class with only one machine allowed.

I have one thing I am working on, I am discussing it with the BoD.

I agree that a spec class is easy to deal with and in this case would probably be the best thing. However, some kids (like mine) are somewhat vertically challenged and can't physically hold a TTR-90 up. So allowing other models to run was a good decision. But to allow them to run and not be competative is not. Brooks said it best “I guarentee every kid with an ounce of competition in his/her blood will want to win. That is part of the equation isn't it? That is the way it is at any age" , and the rule book says it even better “The CMRA may change the rules or request performance adjustments of machinery in or to MAINTAIN as CLOSE a performance level as possible in the class”. Both of which say exactly what I am trying to say, let the kids RACE, and you can't race if your bike runs 10mph slower. Allowing limited mods just gives people another option. I don’t want to build a bike that will leave everyone behind, I just want to build one that at least has a chance to keep up. I wouldn’t have a problem slowing the TTR-90’s down a bit so the other bikes can compete. To be quite honest I thought they were going rather quick for a first time racer. The rule book mentions that scenerio.

I personally think option two is the way to go. As I mentioned above I was very surprised at how fast the TTR-90's were going. To be honest I would rather leave my son on the stock 50 so he can gain a little more experience before going to the 90's. This would allow for the kids to progress even more but still be competing for 1st, 2nd ,or 3rd. I am very proud to tell people that our club is where the future of roadracing comes from. I can prove that many times over, Nicky, Colin, John, Ben, Ryan, etc., etc., etc... Some of the things this club is doing will ensure that we can be proud long after the racers above have retired and I thank you for the blood, sweat, and sometimes tears all of you put into making it all happen.

Later, Eric

I agree that a spec class is easy to deal with and in this case would probably be the best thing. However, some kids (like mine) are somewhat vertically challenged and can't physically hold a TTR-90 up. So allowing other models to run was a good decision. But to allow them to run and not be competative is not. Brooks said it best “I guarentee every kid with an ounce of competition in his/her blood will want to win. That is part of the equation isn't it? That is the way it is at any age" , and the rule book says it even better “The CMRA may change the rules or request performance adjustments of machinery in or to MAINTAIN as CLOSE a performance level as possible in the class”. Both of which say exactly what I am trying to say, let the kids RACE, and you can't race if your bike runs 10mph slower. Allowing limited mods just gives people another option. I don’t want to build a bike that will leave everyone behind, I just want to build one that at least has a chance to keep up. I wouldn’t have a problem slowing the TTR-90’s down a bit so the other bikes can compete. To be quite honest I thought they were going rather quick for a first time racer. The rule book mentions that scenerio.

I personally think option two is the way to go. As I mentioned above I was very surprised at how fast the TTR-90's were going. To be honest I would rather leave my son on the stock 50 so he can gain a little more experience before going to the 90's. This would allow for the kids to progress even more but still be competing for 1st, 2nd ,or 3rd. I am very proud to tell people that our club is where the future of roadracing comes from. I can prove that many times over, Nicky, Colin, John, Ben, Ryan, etc., etc., etc... Some of the things this club is doing will ensure that we can be proud long after the racers above have retired and I thank you for the blood, sweat, and sometimes tears all of you put into making it all happen.

Later, Eric

I think the only way to go is an empirically established wall. It seems that that wall is top speed. This can be easily regulated and monitored via a speed gun. I think 50mph should be the limit--faster, and you're disqualified. The TTR90s are topping out at that (as verified on a Bushnell speed gun at TWS last year). 50mph is, when you think about it in terms of little kids, a frighteningly fast speed--you bail off of a bike at that speed and see what happens, even in full leathers. The overarching consideration in this class is safety and fun--"little league parent syndrome" should be stomped on BUT HARD. These are little kids and they might be competitive, but they are writing checks, body-wise, their parents will have to cash. I don't want to see a little kid loaded into a helicopter for a ride to a trauma center.
    Former Expert #33, member since 1988, BOD 2001-2004, retired 2008, returned 2016.

I used to be fast. Ask me about my championships. Bring beer.

I think the only way to go is an empirically established wall. It seems that that wall is top speed. This can be easily regulated and monitored via a speed gun. I think 50mph should be the limit--faster, and you're disqualified. The TTR90s are topping out at that (as verified on a Bushnell speed gun at TWS last year). 50mph is, when you think about it in terms of little kids, a frighteningly fast speed--you bail off of a bike at that speed and see what happens, even in full leathers. The overarching consideration in this class is safety and fun--"little league parent syndrome" should be stomped on BUT HARD. These are little kids and they might be competitive, but they are writing checks, body-wise, their parents will have to cash. I don't want to see a little kid loaded into a helicopter for a ride to a trauma center.
    Former Expert #33, member since 1988, BOD 2001-2004, retired 2008, returned 2016.

I used to be fast. Ask me about my championships. Bring beer.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R

I think Chuck has the right idea to limit top speed. I'll have a radar gun at TWS to check top speeds.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R

I think Chuck has the right idea to limit top speed. I'll have a radar gun at TWS to check top speeds.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Chuck,

You are correct 50mph is pretty quick. I would not be against lowering it but if this is the decision we will be going 50mph. I hope you don't think that I am one of those parents that need to be squashed. I am just trying to get the kiddo some good track expereince in the safest, and most cost effective manner.

Walter,
    So does this mean that 90cc is the limit and we can not exceed 50 mph at the next event, no matter what bike you are riding as long as it is an auto clutch and 4 stroke.

By the way if this decision adds expense to the club I will donate the first $50 to help buy a radar gun. Tell me where to send the check.

Thanks, Eric Yost

Chuck,

You are correct 50mph is pretty quick. I would not be against lowering it but if this is the decision we will be going 50mph. I hope you don't think that I am one of those parents that need to be squashed. I am just trying to get the kiddo some good track expereince in the safest, and most cost effective manner.

Walter,
    So does this mean that 90cc is the limit and we can not exceed 50 mph at the next event, no matter what bike you are riding as long as it is an auto clutch and 4 stroke.

By the way if this decision adds expense to the club I will donate the first $50 to help buy a radar gun. Tell me where to send the check.

Thanks, Eric Yost