Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Junior Expert class

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Junior Expert class

I went up to Loudon in 1997. They had a Junior class. After the novice moved up he had to first ride junior before becoming expert. The idea seem to work good. Loudon has the largest club in the U.S. This class helps riders gain confidence before moving to expert.

I would like to propose a similar class for the CMRA. For example:
    Novice riders scoring between .500 and .700 the year before can ride the junior class.
    Experts that have never finished in the top 8 can ride the class. This would not be a championship class, only an experience enhancing class. A rider can only win the class 3 times before being bumped up to expert. Points would be counted but only to determine who can't ride the class anymore.
    This class would be a 750 and under class. The A and B expert classes are pretty tough classes. This would give rookies a chance to shine and gain confidence without having to battle with the experienced experts. They would riding against similar ability riders.
    This could be the needed class to help the CMRA continue to grow and encourage rookie experts to stick around for a few more seasons.

Ridesmart and Ty Howard Racing School were looking for a class to sponsor. This would be an ideal class for that. If that was the case these guys would be racing for purse money. I think Bill Syfan could probably pick up some contingency money also.
    Private lessons available at MSR and ECR
    One on One or groups up to 5 students
    Email typhoonpowersports@yahoo.com or visit me on Facebook.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Junior Expert class

I went up to Loudon in 1997. They had a Junior class. After the novice moved up he had to first ride junior before becoming expert. The idea seem to work good. Loudon has the largest club in the U.S. This class helps riders gain confidence before moving to expert.

I would like to propose a similar class for the CMRA. For example:
    Novice riders scoring between .500 and .700 the year before can ride the junior class.
    Experts that have never finished in the top 8 can ride the class. This would not be a championship class, only an experience enhancing class. A rider can only win the class 3 times before being bumped up to expert. Points would be counted but only to determine who can't ride the class anymore.
    This class would be a 750 and under class. The A and B expert classes are pretty tough classes. This would give rookies a chance to shine and gain confidence without having to battle with the experienced experts. They would riding against similar ability riders.
    This could be the needed class to help the CMRA continue to grow and encourage rookie experts to stick around for a few more seasons.

Ridesmart and Ty Howard Racing School were looking for a class to sponsor. This would be an ideal class for that. If that was the case these guys would be racing for purse money. I think Bill Syfan could probably pick up some contingency money also.

Re: Junior Expert class

Ty, this is something I've been pondering a while now, and brought this up several years ago as a way to retain first year experts.

I've been following how Loudon (LRRS, a CCS affiliate) handles this, and recently they are considering a change to their current structure due to some issues they found in living with the Jr EX concept.

The details to that are here:

http://www.lrrsracing.com/rider_reclassification.htm

Basically, it breaks down into three classes:
    Novice
    Amateur
    Expert

Amateurs can win championships and earn contingency, similar to our current Novices, but you have to spend some time racing as a Novice to advance to the Amateur class.

The way I read the spirit of this, you get some time to get used to everything in the Novice class, and then advance to the Amateur class to race for contingency and make a run at some championships, if so inclined. After that, advancing to Expert status would take a bit of work.

This certainly raises plenty of questions, too, but it's a very interesting notion and worthy of debate I think.

Ty, this is something I've been pondering a while now, and brought this up several years ago as a way to retain first year experts.

I've been following how Loudon (LRRS, a CCS affiliate) handles this, and recently they are considering a change to their current structure due to some issues they found in living with the Jr EX concept.

The details to that are here:

http://www.lrrsracing.com/rider_reclassification.htm

Basically, it breaks down into three classes:
    Novice
    Amateur
    Expert

Amateurs can win championships and earn contingency, similar to our current Novices, but you have to spend some time racing as a Novice to advance to the Amateur class.

The way I read the spirit of this, you get some time to get used to everything in the Novice class, and then advance to the Amateur class to race for contingency and make a run at some championships, if so inclined. After that, advancing to Expert status would take a bit of work.

This certainly raises plenty of questions, too, but it's a very interesting notion and worthy of debate I think.

We almost did it a couple of years ago. There are many headaches associated with it, including administrative and scoring.

The biggest downfall I see is it dilluting what has become a small expert 600cc+ field. This will make it harder for contingencies to pay down when you only have 6-8 riders in an average grid. We need larger expert grids to make the contingencies more attractive to the sponsors.

NOTE: I'm not talking about club purses, strictly manufacturer contingencies.

J
    Jesse Johnson

BBS admin

We almost did it a couple of years ago. There are many headaches associated with it, including administrative and scoring.

The biggest downfall I see is it dilluting what has become a small expert 600cc+ field. This will make it harder for contingencies to pay down when you only have 6-8 riders in an average grid. We need larger expert grids to make the contingencies more attractive to the sponsors.

NOTE: I'm not talking about club purses, strictly manufacturer contingencies.

J
    Jesse Johnson

BBS admin

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Blog Entries

Very cool to see some of these ideas being kicked around. Keeping 'new' racers interested in racing has to be a key goal - it's sort of a lifeline to keeping the club strong.

Maybe a version of a JR class will help guys manage their expectations a bit as they learn their race craft, become more competitive and move up through the club ranks a bit.

Like Ty said in his other post, the new racers have to stick around long enough to pay a few dues...get guys to do that, and they'll get faster and stick around on their own. That'd be a big win for the club.
    EX #51
    Village Idiots #1 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017
    CMRA Board of Directors 2010-2014; 2016-2018

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Blog Entries

Very cool to see some of these ideas being kicked around. Keeping 'new' racers interested in racing has to be a key goal - it's sort of a lifeline to keeping the club strong.

Maybe a version of a JR class will help guys manage their expectations a bit as they learn their race craft, become more competitive and move up through the club ranks a bit.

Like Ty said in his other post, the new racers have to stick around long enough to pay a few dues...get guys to do that, and they'll get faster and stick around on their own. That'd be a big win for the club.
    EX #51
    Village Idiots #1 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017
    CMRA Board of Directors 2010-2014; 2016-2018

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

My thinking was it is just one class for people that qualify. These riders would still ride in their expert or novice races also. It would just give them a race that they didn't have to race against the fast experts. They would also have a chance to make a little money and contingency. The riders in the race are probably not fast enough to win money in the expert races.
    This would not be a classification just a race. These riders could still ride in novices races or experts races.

Basically the fast novices racing against the less experienced experts. A boost in confidence for both.

The Prov Nov race is very similar. These guys that win the Prov Nov race are so happy and brag to all their friends. Then the same day they ride the novice race and get 15th. Thats not much to talk about but the first in the Prov Nov race sure was.

The junior race would work the same way. They won the junior race and some money but got 11th in c superstock. That win would do so much for their confidence. The 11th place finish wouldn't bother them a bit.

Its a way for riders to get through that shock of going expert and realize they do have the speed to race with the experts. Just what they need to be CMRA lifers.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

My thinking was it is just one class for people that qualify. These riders would still ride in their expert or novice races also. It would just give them a race that they didn't have to race against the fast experts. They would also have a chance to make a little money and contingency. The riders in the race are probably not fast enough to win money in the expert races.
    This would not be a classification just a race. These riders could still ride in novices races or experts races.

Basically the fast novices racing against the less experienced experts. A boost in confidence for both.

The Prov Nov race is very similar. These guys that win the Prov Nov race are so happy and brag to all their friends. Then the same day they ride the novice race and get 15th. Thats not much to talk about but the first in the Prov Nov race sure was.

The junior race would work the same way. They won the junior race and some money but got 11th in c superstock. That win would do so much for their confidence. The 11th place finish wouldn't bother them a bit.

Its a way for riders to get through that shock of going expert and realize they do have the speed to race with the experts. Just what they need to be CMRA lifers.