Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prov Nov Crash Rule

Prov Nov Crash Rule

A common interpretation of this rule is that during a Prov Nov's first two race weekends, if he crashes at any point he must effectively "start over" with a blank pink slip and retake the riders school. This is how I understood it after taking the rider's school, and I have heard the same from several other Prov Nov's.

However, the rulebook states that "Provisional Novice riders must complete two separate weekend events without crashing and complete two days of work as a corner worker before qualifying for a Novice status license." This implies that if a Prov Nov crashes in his second weekend racing, he just doesn't get his pink slip signed and still does not qualify for a full Novice license. Could someone please clarify this rule?

Thank you,

Prov Nov Crash Rule

A common interpretation of this rule is that during a Prov Nov's first two race weekends, if he crashes at any point he must effectively "start over" with a blank pink slip and retake the riders school. This is how I understood it after taking the rider's school, and I have heard the same from several other Prov Nov's.

However, the rulebook states that "Provisional Novice riders must complete two separate weekend events without crashing and complete two days of work as a corner worker before qualifying for a Novice status license." This implies that if a Prov Nov crashes in his second weekend racing, he just doesn't get his pink slip signed and still does not qualify for a full Novice license. Could someone please clarify this rule?

Thank you,

Re: Prov Nov Crash Rule

I'm not a board member but IMHO....

There is always a Loop Hole. I don't believe this is one... You have to complete to weekends without crashing. If you crash you don't get a signature....

I hope some Prov Nov's will read this...

That Yellow shirt is nothing to be embarrassed about. I personally think that it is a good idea to run as many races (endurance is great) as possible while wearing that shirt.

The other riders will give you more "wiggle room"
    and you will have the opportunity to experience the race pace with a little less pressure.

Without that yellow shirt..... you are fair game.

As soon as their front wheel is in front of yours they have the right of way. It is then your job to make sure, as they come in to the "groove", that you are clear of their back tire or tail section or (insert phrase here).

I think to many people put a stigma associated with the "Yellow Shirt" and fail to realize how important it is to CYA.

I'm not a board member but IMHO....

There is always a Loop Hole. I don't believe this is one... You have to complete to weekends without crashing. If you crash you don't get a signature....

I hope some Prov Nov's will read this...

That Yellow shirt is nothing to be embarrassed about. I personally think that it is a good idea to run as many races (endurance is great) as possible while wearing that shirt.

The other riders will give you more "wiggle room"
    and you will have the opportunity to experience the race pace with a little less pressure.

Without that yellow shirt..... you are fair game.

As soon as their front wheel is in front of yours they have the right of way. It is then your job to make sure, as they come in to the "groove", that you are clear of their back tire or tail section or (insert phrase here).

I think to many people put a stigma associated with the "Yellow Shirt" and fail to realize how important it is to CYA.

I'm not a BOD member either but, I think you just have to make it two consecative weekends with out crashing, if you crash in the 1st weekend, then it will take 3 weekends instead of 2.

Also, as far as I know you can put the shirt on at anytime if you feel the need, Heck I am a expert rank rider, and I even considered puting on a yellow shirt this weekend, as it was the first time I rode a big bike in probably 6 years or so. there is no shame in wearing the yellow shirt.

Richard Eads

I'm not a BOD member either but, I think you just have to make it two consecative weekends with out crashing, if you crash in the 1st weekend, then it will take 3 weekends instead of 2.

Also, as far as I know you can put the shirt on at anytime if you feel the need, Heck I am a expert rank rider, and I even considered puting on a yellow shirt this weekend, as it was the first time I rode a big bike in probably 6 years or so. there is no shame in wearing the yellow shirt.

Richard Eads

It is not two consecutive weekends, but two weekends. If you crash on a weekend, you don't get a signature, but it does not mean that you have to start over from scratch.

At least that was my interpretation of the rules, and that's what happened to me. The first weekend I got my license I didn't crash, but the second weekend I did. On the third, I didn't crash, got the second signature, and was able to get my Novice license.

You might want to contact Bryan Norton, as he is the contact person for rule book questions.

Robert

It is not two consecutive weekends, but two weekends. If you crash on a weekend, you don't get a signature, but it does not mean that you have to start over from scratch.

At least that was my interpretation of the rules, and that's what happened to me. The first weekend I got my license I didn't crash, but the second weekend I did. On the third, I didn't crash, got the second signature, and was able to get my Novice license.

You might want to contact Bryan Norton, as he is the contact person for rule book questions.

Robert

Robert, your interpretation is consistent with what the rulebook states. I was not trying to say that the rulebook version is wrong in any way. On the contrary, I think the rulebook entry about this is spot-on. The problem I saw was with the apparantly common interpretation that a Prov Nov would have to "start over" after crash. This is what I came away from the rider's school thinking, so I figured that others must have thought the same. I was kinda hoping some other Prov Novs might chime in here and either confirm or deny that they also received that interpretation...
    Case in point: http://www.frenzy.com/UBB/cgi-bin/ul...c;f=1;t=004645

Robert, your interpretation is consistent with what the rulebook states. I was not trying to say that the rulebook version is wrong in any way. On the contrary, I think the rulebook entry about this is spot-on. The problem I saw was with the apparantly common interpretation that a Prov Nov would have to "start over" after crash. This is what I came away from the rider's school thinking, so I figured that others must have thought the same. I was kinda hoping some other Prov Novs might chime in here and either confirm or deny that they also received that interpretation...
    Case in point: http://www.frenzy.com/UBB/cgi-bin/ul...c;f=1;t=004645