Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Better bulletin board software?

Re: Better bulletin board software?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Justin Molet:
    i may be the odd one out here, but i like it the way it is. the few older boards i frequent like this one rarely go down, and load a lot quicker. i hate when there's an update and posts get lost, or you have to re-register, searches don't search right, etc. </div></div>the speed at which the board loads has little to do with the software... the big factors are the server it's running on and the network connection between it and you. The other problems you mentioned (posts getting losts, re-registering, etc...) are caused more by lack of effective administration than the software itself. I guess I'm just one of those people that see something better out there for free and want to take advantage of it...

Jess, I didn't mean this to be a gripe about UBB... I just come from using (and administering) boards running phpBB, and find some of its little niceties absent in UBB. For example, the way UBB keeps track (or fails to keep track) of new posts... every time you change computers, suddenly all the posts are new again. And even after viewing the new posts in a thread, it is still shown as new until you close all your browser windows and revisit the site (on the same computer of course). It also has no mechanism for taking you to the first new post of an existing thread that you've previously viewed. In each forum, both vBulletin and phpBB tell you who posted the last post in each thread and give you a link to the first unread post. Now, maybe those are all features of UBB not currently being utilized... I don't know... Needless to say, I will be very interested to see what changes/improvements are made in this new version.

All that having been said, I want to say thanks to Jess for his work with this board. It definitely runs smoothly and I have yet to see it down since I started visiting last year...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Justin Molet:
    i may be the odd one out here, but i like it the way it is. the few older boards i frequent like this one rarely go down, and load a lot quicker. i hate when there's an update and posts get lost, or you have to re-register, searches don't search right, etc. </div></div>the speed at which the board loads has little to do with the software... the big factors are the server it's running on and the network connection between it and you. The other problems you mentioned (posts getting losts, re-registering, etc...) are caused more by lack of effective administration than the software itself. I guess I'm just one of those people that see something better out there for free and want to take advantage of it...

Jess, I didn't mean this to be a gripe about UBB... I just come from using (and administering) boards running phpBB, and find some of its little niceties absent in UBB. For example, the way UBB keeps track (or fails to keep track) of new posts... every time you change computers, suddenly all the posts are new again. And even after viewing the new posts in a thread, it is still shown as new until you close all your browser windows and revisit the site (on the same computer of course). It also has no mechanism for taking you to the first new post of an existing thread that you've previously viewed. In each forum, both vBulletin and phpBB tell you who posted the last post in each thread and give you a link to the first unread post. Now, maybe those are all features of UBB not currently being utilized... I don't know... Needless to say, I will be very interested to see what changes/improvements are made in this new version.

All that having been said, I want to say thanks to Jess for his work with this board. It definitely runs smoothly and I have yet to see it down since I started visiting last year...

oh, one more enhancement request I forgot...

how about automatic grammar and spelling correction... [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

oh, one more enhancement request I forgot...

how about automatic grammar and spelling correction... [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Norm McDonald

I'll drink to that!

Norm McDonald

I'll drink to that!

What would we ever do without Larry and Ty's typos??
    Jesse Johnson

BBS admin

What would we ever do without Larry and Ty's typos??
    Jesse Johnson

BBS admin

As long as I can hear Alan's accent in a post, I don't care what we use...

As long as I can hear Alan's accent in a post, I don't care what we use...