Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Transponder - ok to mount INSIDE tail?

Transponder - ok to mount INSIDE tail?

I've heard the repeated mentions at the rider meetings about lost transponders after a crash and the advice to fasten them securely with something other than zip ties. So I had my non-rechargable transponder mounted with zip-ties (that I hoped would break away in a crash) as well as safety wire that ran thru the mounting holes and attached to the subframe (so that the dislodged transponder would be dangling around the bike). Pretty smart, huh? [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] Well doofus had an off-track excursion, and part A worked (zip ties busted, transponder flew off into space rather than be crushed) but part B did not (safety wire sliced thru plastic mounting holes). So doofus is now on plan #2: mount inside the tail (on the subframe/undertray). This grand plan would
    (a) prevent the damn puppy from launching into outer space in all but the most extreme crashes

(b) Minimize inconvenience to corner workers, crash truck haulers, and race schedule by crashed doofuses who insist on walking around the live race corner looking for their beloved and departed transponder.

(c) Require the tech inspector to peek under the tail to verify existance of the transponder ("peek thru this slot, now see the red object there in the gloomy corner? No? Have you had an eye exam recently?" [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] ). They would not however be able to look for the transponder number or the green light.

So, BOD, is this permissible? If no, why not?

On a related note, the AMB idiot sheet did say no metal between the transponder and the road, but the way they are currently mounted, the subframe, axles and wheels appear to intrude.
    Sonny
    Expert #92

Transponder - ok to mount INSIDE tail?

I've heard the repeated mentions at the rider meetings about lost transponders after a crash and the advice to fasten them securely with something other than zip ties. So I had my non-rechargable transponder mounted with zip-ties (that I hoped would break away in a crash) as well as safety wire that ran thru the mounting holes and attached to the subframe (so that the dislodged transponder would be dangling around the bike). Pretty smart, huh? [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] Well doofus had an off-track excursion, and part A worked (zip ties busted, transponder flew off into space rather than be crushed) but part B did not (safety wire sliced thru plastic mounting holes). So doofus is now on plan #2: mount inside the tail (on the subframe/undertray). This grand plan would
    (a) prevent the damn puppy from launching into outer space in all but the most extreme crashes

(b) Minimize inconvenience to corner workers, crash truck haulers, and race schedule by crashed doofuses who insist on walking around the live race corner looking for their beloved and departed transponder.

(c) Require the tech inspector to peek under the tail to verify existance of the transponder ("peek thru this slot, now see the red object there in the gloomy corner? No? Have you had an eye exam recently?" [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] ). They would not however be able to look for the transponder number or the green light.

So, BOD, is this permissible? If no, why not?

On a related note, the AMB idiot sheet did say no metal between the transponder and the road, but the way they are currently mounted, the subframe, axles and wheels appear to intrude.
    Sonny
    Expert #92

Re: Transponder - ok to mount INSIDE tail?

We need to be able to see the transponder while you are on the track. If you mount it under the tail, then there is no way I can figure out if you have a transponder. Then in the case of a failure, I have to assume that you don't have one and you WILL NOT be scored (end of story).

Not mounting it on top of the tail section also makes it harder for pit out to verify you have a transponder.

Everyone, please mount your transponder on the top of your tail section and no where else.

Thanks - Derek

We need to be able to see the transponder while you are on the track. If you mount it under the tail, then there is no way I can figure out if you have a transponder. Then in the case of a failure, I have to assume that you don't have one and you WILL NOT be scored (end of story).

Not mounting it on top of the tail section also makes it harder for pit out to verify you have a transponder.

Everyone, please mount your transponder on the top of your tail section and no where else.

Thanks - Derek

Derek, thanks for the reply and we do greatly appreciate the speedy results that you deliver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Derek Delpero:
    We need to be able to see the transponder while you are on the track.
    </div></div>If the bike has passed tech, the transponder has been verified to be mounted, right? So what additional value is gained by having the manual scorer be able to see the transponder?
    Sonny
    Expert #92

Derek, thanks for the reply and we do greatly appreciate the speedy results that you deliver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Derek Delpero:
    We need to be able to see the transponder while you are on the track.
    </div></div>If the bike has passed tech, the transponder has been verified to be mounted, right? So what additional value is gained by having the manual scorer be able to see the transponder?
    Sonny
    Expert #92

Some riders have more than one bike and have to transfer their transponder back and forth. Sometimes they forget.

If electronic scoring doesn't pick up your transponder during a race, then we verify visually that you have one mounted on your bike. If we don't see a transponder on the tail, you will not be scored. If there is a transponder on the bike and it's not working for one reason or another, then we'll be able to score you using manual scoring sheets.
    Nancy Selleck
    Retired CMRA Administrator (October 2002 - March 2009, March 2010 - July 2018)

Some riders have more than one bike and have to transfer their transponder back and forth. Sometimes they forget.

If electronic scoring doesn't pick up your transponder during a race, then we verify visually that you have one mounted on your bike. If we don't see a transponder on the tail, you will not be scored. If there is a transponder on the bike and it's not working for one reason or another, then we'll be able to score you using manual scoring sheets.
    Nancy Selleck
    Retired CMRA Administrator (October 2002 - March 2009, March 2010 - July 2018)

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

This kinda begs the question... So why is it that the CMRA requires the transponder to be on the tail section and not on the front forks like WERA?

Not trying to stir up any trouble, just curious...
    Sprint #870
    Rockstar Racing II #26
    "ChopStix Mafia" member 001

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

This kinda begs the question... So why is it that the CMRA requires the transponder to be on the tail section and not on the front forks like WERA?

Not trying to stir up any trouble, just curious...
    Sprint #870
    Rockstar Racing II #26
    "ChopStix Mafia" member 001