Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Flags

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

Blue Flags

Would it be possible to start using blue flags in the combined races where Experts and Novice classes are mixed? The reason I ask, is because I know there have been times where lapped, usually Novice and Prov-Nov, riders have interfered with the battle up front in the Expert race. I'm pretty sure I was one of several riders which probably cost Ty the race in the Superstock A Ex/Nov race at Hallett... I would have gladly moved out of the way if I would have known that him and Shannon were coming up behind me.
    Sprint #870
    Rockstar Racing II #26
    "ChopStix Mafia" member 001

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

Blue Flags

Would it be possible to start using blue flags in the combined races where Experts and Novice classes are mixed? The reason I ask, is because I know there have been times where lapped, usually Novice and Prov-Nov, riders have interfered with the battle up front in the Expert race. I'm pretty sure I was one of several riders which probably cost Ty the race in the Superstock A Ex/Nov race at Hallett... I would have gladly moved out of the way if I would have known that him and Shannon were coming up behind me.
    Sprint #870
    Rockstar Racing II #26
    "ChopStix Mafia" member 001

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Re: Blue Flags

The CMRA staff has talked of this before and is, I believe, generally of the mid-set that for CMRA sprints, while lapping does happen, it doesn't happen at the same frequency as longer professional races. Thus, the perceived need is lower for blue flags.

However, lapping does happen, but adding a blue flag to the mix and suggesting that a racer move over for faster traffic is probably a worse solution for club racing than putting the onus of passing safely on the faster rider. If you're being passed, holding your line is safer and more important than trying to move out of the way.

Walter Walker and Barry Nichols probably agree with me, but I'll turn the floor over to them anyway.
    Linz
    Expert #97
    CRRC/CMRA Member Since 1987
    Former and Current BoD Member
    Former CMRA Staffer

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

The CMRA staff has talked of this before and is, I believe, generally of the mid-set that for CMRA sprints, while lapping does happen, it doesn't happen at the same frequency as longer professional races. Thus, the perceived need is lower for blue flags.

However, lapping does happen, but adding a blue flag to the mix and suggesting that a racer move over for faster traffic is probably a worse solution for club racing than putting the onus of passing safely on the faster rider. If you're being passed, holding your line is safer and more important than trying to move out of the way.

Walter Walker and Barry Nichols probably agree with me, but I'll turn the floor over to them anyway.
    Linz
    Expert #97
    CRRC/CMRA Member Since 1987
    Former and Current BoD Member
    Former CMRA Staffer

IMHO... the blue flag could cause a bigger problem than actually finding a way around someone... People up front.... should be predictable... seeing a blue flag changes that...

IMHO... the blue flag could cause a bigger problem than actually finding a way around someone... People up front.... should be predictable... seeing a blue flag changes that...

I have to agree with Jason. Who knows what someone would do if they actually knew they were getting lapped? They may end up right where you were going to pass them. Not all passing happens on the inside especially with lapped riders... IMHO....
    Heather Rawlinson
    1992 RS 80
    2001 SV 650

I have to agree with Jason. Who knows what someone would do if they actually knew they were getting lapped? They may end up right where you were going to pass them. Not all passing happens on the inside especially with lapped riders... IMHO....
    Heather Rawlinson
    1992 RS 80
    2001 SV 650

FWIW I agree, a blue flag would probably do more harm than good. If you held your line when they lapped you, no worries IMO.

FWIW I agree, a blue flag would probably do more harm than good. If you held your line when they lapped you, no worries IMO.