Thread: Trackside Medicine?

Trackside Medicine?

In the last two years I have been involved in this sport myself and my wife have seen good and bad medicine. I myself had an EMT walk over a twist my head after a head first highside that left me laying like a sack of potatoes on the track.

This weekend there were people that needed emergency and non-emergency medicine. I myself am a Nuclear Medicine Tech, Xray Tech, and old army medic, but my wife is a Emergency Nurse Practitioner and this is the point of this post.

If CMRA could have a Dr. sponsor us she could work under their liscense and set up shop at the track every weekend to include writting scripts, sutures, IV care for Dehydration, wraps, bandages, shots and bandaids. Not to mention she can stabalize a fracture or broken neck better than anybody I have ever worked with and she teaches as well. She works at two level 2 Trauma centers currently.

Currently the people that know she is there will come to her for help but most people do not know she is there. After this weekend with people having to leave for dehydration we were both frustrated because these issues could be treated trackside without people having to call an ambulance or going to the hospital.

So I ask the board to discuss this issue and to set up a trackside aidstation instead of just having people wisked away to a hospital. If people are willing to volunteer their time why would you not? And supplies can be purchased through a donation program.

If the CMRA would be willing to provide the supplies she would be more than happy to help. As it is now she helps the North Texas Superbike Team and a few others that know her qualifications and it is done out of her caring for racers and our love for the sport.

If things continue the same and somebody needs some help or just a qualified medical opinion, please send them over to the North Texas Superbike Team and ask for Tracy Crain. We carry a small aid bag that can work for minor stuff but for next year we are investing in a much more advanced setup.

I would also like to express my anger about the condition of John Bernett's leathers and back protector after the paramedics had their way with them. The leathers are completely destroyed and even the straps on the back protector were cut off. The EMT's cut right through the leather and not the seams on his suit. The crash itself did no damage to his new Komodo racing leathers.

#708 GSXR1000 04
    #708 Honda Ruckus 2005 Rocket Ship

Trackside Medicine?

In the last two years I have been involved in this sport myself and my wife have seen good and bad medicine. I myself had an EMT walk over a twist my head after a head first highside that left me laying like a sack of potatoes on the track.

This weekend there were people that needed emergency and non-emergency medicine. I myself am a Nuclear Medicine Tech, Xray Tech, and old army medic, but my wife is a Emergency Nurse Practitioner and this is the point of this post.

If CMRA could have a Dr. sponsor us she could work under their liscense and set up shop at the track every weekend to include writting scripts, sutures, IV care for Dehydration, wraps, bandages, shots and bandaids. Not to mention she can stabalize a fracture or broken neck better than anybody I have ever worked with and she teaches as well. She works at two level 2 Trauma centers currently.

Currently the people that know she is there will come to her for help but most people do not know she is there. After this weekend with people having to leave for dehydration we were both frustrated because these issues could be treated trackside without people having to call an ambulance or going to the hospital.

So I ask the board to discuss this issue and to set up a trackside aidstation instead of just having people wisked away to a hospital. If people are willing to volunteer their time why would you not? And supplies can be purchased through a donation program.

If the CMRA would be willing to provide the supplies she would be more than happy to help. As it is now she helps the North Texas Superbike Team and a few others that know her qualifications and it is done out of her caring for racers and our love for the sport.

If things continue the same and somebody needs some help or just a qualified medical opinion, please send them over to the North Texas Superbike Team and ask for Tracy Crain. We carry a small aid bag that can work for minor stuff but for next year we are investing in a much more advanced setup.

I would also like to express my anger about the condition of John Bernett's leathers and back protector after the paramedics had their way with them. The leathers are completely destroyed and even the straps on the back protector were cut off. The EMT's cut right through the leather and not the seams on his suit. The crash itself did no damage to his new Komodo racing leathers.

#708 GSXR1000 04

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Re: Trackside Medicine?

Ben / Tracy:

This idea has some merit, but the logistics of it all - and the liability of it, too - needs to be fully explored. The CMRA, as the sanctioning body, does not always have full control over what can be allowed at the track. The BoD will take a look at this idea at an upcoming meeting and see if it's a viable addition.

Oh yeah, I've never seen paramedics give a hoot about leathers. Once, when I was broken up, some paramedics (at TWS, as a matter of fact) offered to cut off my leathers to have a better look without causing me more pain. I told them that as long as I was conscious, I'd decide what needs to be cut off and that the pain I was feeling at that moment would be minor compared to the sting of buying new leathers later.
    Linz
    Expert #97
    CRRC/CMRA Member Since 1987
    Former and Current BoD Member
    Former CMRA Staffer

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Ben / Tracy:

This idea has some merit, but the logistics of it all - and the liability of it, too - needs to be fully explored. The CMRA, as the sanctioning body, does not always have full control over what can be allowed at the track. The BoD will take a look at this idea at an upcoming meeting and see if it's a viable addition.

Oh yeah, I've never seen paramedics give a hoot about leathers. Once, when I was broken up, some paramedics (at TWS, as a matter of fact) offered to cut off my leathers to have a better look without causing me more pain. I told them that as long as I was conscious, I'd decide what needs to be cut off and that the pain I was feeling at that moment would be minor compared to the sting of buying new leathers later.
    Linz
    Expert #97
    CRRC/CMRA Member Since 1987
    Former and Current BoD Member
    Former CMRA Staffer

Please fill free to give Tracy a call. She can explain more details than can I when it is dealing with liscenses and liabilities. She is currently checking with the Board of Examiners to see if she can just set up shop with limited abilities without a Dr. on staff. As a practitioner she can write scripts if she is working with a Dr. or medical group. If not, her script writting ability is removed but she can still do everything else.

Her number is 817-896-5369.

When is the Next BOD meeting?

Side Note: I spoke with Health South during a meeting last month, they did seem interested in sponsoring a road racer. Maybe they can be convinced to sponsor the Organization.

#708 GSXR1000 04

Please fill free to give Tracy a call. She can explain more details than can I when it is dealing with liscenses and liabilities. She is currently checking with the Board of Examiners to see if she can just set up shop with limited abilities without a Dr. on staff. As a practitioner she can write scripts if she is working with a Dr. or medical group. If not, her script writting ability is removed but she can still do everything else.

Her number is 817-896-5369.

When is the Next BOD meeting?

Side Note: I spoke with Health South during a meeting last month, they did seem interested in sponsoring a road racer. Maybe they can be convinced to sponsor the Organization.

#708 GSXR1000 04

I am posting for my Wife so from here on she is the one writting this message. When liscense renewal comes up I am going to make her an Associate Member.

First -- I would like to say the vast majority of leather cutting is not necessary. Xrays can be taken through the leathers. In the ER we much prefer a patient to be packaged with the helmet and leathers on. If bleeding must be controlled - sure - cut the leathers to do so. We examine the patient's equipment as well as the person. As most of you know, you end up with minor injuries you don't even notice till your pain from the major injury is under control. We find those injuries much quicker by looking at damage to safety gear. We also go looking for some critical injuries to rule them out sometimes before symptoms develop. Packaging with equipment is the standard of care. You only remove components for life saving procedures in the feild. Helmets are the most important.

Second - Your safety gear(Leathers) makes great splints - they require minimal reinforcement for upper extremeties especially. Femurs that are broken require a little extra, and as tight as they are they are perfect for pelvis fracture splinting. Now you bet when you get to the ER they will be DESTROYED if you have a pelvis injury. In that case you probably won't care.

Third - I want everyone to know I started my career as an EMT many years ago. I hold great respect for EMT's and Paramedics. I am concerned however at some of the care I have seen given. I am sure as in everything one bad apple makes the bunch seem bad. I am sure they are not. Newbies in the business do get a little to anxious from time to time. And in the racing world we give them the adrenaline they are looking for.

I look forward to having ya'll drop by if you need anything or just want to ward off the evil spirits. You can find me at the North Texas SuperBike Pit. I am a rider as well who has been down before. Just so you know - I rode home from the ER after I broke my hand in my wreck - broken bike and all. Clutching was tricky. I won't be telling you to stay on 4 wheels only unless it's really warranted.

My credentials include a Master's in Nursing with 3 focal areas -- Acute Care, Emergency, and nursing education. My professional credentials fall under my maiden name Tracy Brown, my married name of course is Crain, and I go by TraumaDoc on the TSBA WebSite. My background includes almost 17 years in the ER. All of which in a county facility that is a Level II Trauma Center. The past couple of years I added a private not for profit Level II Trauma Center to my resume.

Tracy Crain

#708 GSXR1000 04

I am posting for my Wife so from here on she is the one writting this message. When liscense renewal comes up I am going to make her an Associate Member.

First -- I would like to say the vast majority of leather cutting is not necessary. Xrays can be taken through the leathers. In the ER we much prefer a patient to be packaged with the helmet and leathers on. If bleeding must be controlled - sure - cut the leathers to do so. We examine the patient's equipment as well as the person. As most of you know, you end up with minor injuries you don't even notice till your pain from the major injury is under control. We find those injuries much quicker by looking at damage to safety gear. We also go looking for some critical injuries to rule them out sometimes before symptoms develop. Packaging with equipment is the standard of care. You only remove components for life saving procedures in the feild. Helmets are the most important.

Second - Your safety gear(Leathers) makes great splints - they require minimal reinforcement for upper extremeties especially. Femurs that are broken require a little extra, and as tight as they are they are perfect for pelvis fracture splinting. Now you bet when you get to the ER they will be DESTROYED if you have a pelvis injury. In that case you probably won't care.

Third - I want everyone to know I started my career as an EMT many years ago. I hold great respect for EMT's and Paramedics. I am concerned however at some of the care I have seen given. I am sure as in everything one bad apple makes the bunch seem bad. I am sure they are not. Newbies in the business do get a little to anxious from time to time. And in the racing world we give them the adrenaline they are looking for.

I look forward to having ya'll drop by if you need anything or just want to ward off the evil spirits. You can find me at the North Texas SuperBike Pit. I am a rider as well who has been down before. Just so you know - I rode home from the ER after I broke my hand in my wreck - broken bike and all. Clutching was tricky. I won't be telling you to stay on 4 wheels only unless it's really warranted.

My credentials include a Master's in Nursing with 3 focal areas -- Acute Care, Emergency, and nursing education. My professional credentials fall under my maiden name Tracy Brown, my married name of course is Crain, and I go by TraumaDoc on the TSBA WebSite. My background includes almost 17 years in the ER. All of which in a county facility that is a Level II Trauma Center. The past couple of years I added a private not for profit Level II Trauma Center to my resume.

Tracy Crain

#708 GSXR1000 04

Tracy
    Thanks for pointing out that we are not all bad apples. I've worked full time as a paramedic for the past 6 years (I finish my RN this December). I cut off clothing only when absolutely necessary and after obtaining permission from the patient, unless they are unresponsive (implied consent). I've also been in the patient role. My left clavice was fractured into four pieces at the August Hallett race weekend. I too encountered the overly eager leather cutters. It is important to remember as a patient, one always has the right to refuse any and every procedure when alert and oriented, this includes but obviously not limited to leather cutting. Thanks for the reply.
    Woodcraft-CFM
    #236 CMRA

Tracy
    Thanks for pointing out that we are not all bad apples. I've worked full time as a paramedic for the past 6 years (I finish my RN this December). I cut off clothing only when absolutely necessary and after obtaining permission from the patient, unless they are unresponsive (implied consent). I've also been in the patient role. My left clavice was fractured into four pieces at the August Hallett race weekend. I too encountered the overly eager leather cutters. It is important to remember as a patient, one always has the right to refuse any and every procedure when alert and oriented, this includes but obviously not limited to leather cutting. Thanks for the reply.
    Woodcraft-CFM
    #236 CMRA