Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: proposed changes for 06

proposed changes for 06

There are two rules that I feel need to be discussed for the upcoming season. These rules have effected many racers and I can't understand why they should?

1. If a racer does not have a transponder on during the race for any reason they are DQ'd. We pay for people to manually score at every event and we also pay to have numbers and background on our bikes. Why can't we utilize these people in certain situations? Being Dq'd could cost someone a championship or maybe even contingency money. In the event that a racer forgets their transponder, we should go to manual scoring and possibly fine the racer for the inconvienence. The fine will keep people from making a habit out of forgeting but also allow someone to be scored.

2. The protest process is confusing and needs to be revised. I reported a problem at TWS and before I could even get word back from a CMRA official 30 minutes was up and I was told it was too late. I came in to report my problem and ask questions immediately and I still was not given an opportunity. I understand that race weekends are busy, this is why the racers should be allowed more than 30 minutes. Once a racer reports the protest with an official within the 30 minutes, there should be no time limit to resolve the issue. In my case it took more than 30 minutes to just get some help. This has effected many racers and I think we need to take a look at it. Once again, I understand how busy the CMRA staff is on a race weekend, this is exactly why we need more time as racers to get information and be able to make a decision on a protest.

The CMRA staff does a great job, this is only a suggestion to help make things better for everyone.

Thanks

proposed changes for 06

There are two rules that I feel need to be discussed for the upcoming season. These rules have effected many racers and I can't understand why they should?

1. If a racer does not have a transponder on during the race for any reason they are DQ'd. We pay for people to manually score at every event and we also pay to have numbers and background on our bikes. Why can't we utilize these people in certain situations? Being Dq'd could cost someone a championship or maybe even contingency money. In the event that a racer forgets their transponder, we should go to manual scoring and possibly fine the racer for the inconvienence. The fine will keep people from making a habit out of forgeting but also allow someone to be scored.

2. The protest process is confusing and needs to be revised. I reported a problem at TWS and before I could even get word back from a CMRA official 30 minutes was up and I was told it was too late. I came in to report my problem and ask questions immediately and I still was not given an opportunity. I understand that race weekends are busy, this is why the racers should be allowed more than 30 minutes. Once a racer reports the protest with an official within the 30 minutes, there should be no time limit to resolve the issue. In my case it took more than 30 minutes to just get some help. This has effected many racers and I think we need to take a look at it. Once again, I understand how busy the CMRA staff is on a race weekend, this is exactly why we need more time as racers to get information and be able to make a decision on a protest.

The CMRA staff does a great job, this is only a suggestion to help make things better for everyone.

Thanks

Re: proposed changes for 06

Good points, I had the same thought on the first one but a good counter was made to it.

You remember your helmet, back protector and even to put gas in your tank. Your transponder is part of your race prep just as anything else is. It's not the responsibility of the staff to score you just because forgot your transponder. They might as well check to see if you've got gas in the bike. Although, if it were changed, I think the fine would be a good deterrent.

On the second. What would be the possibility of protests being filed with Registration (Alan's going to shoot me for this) and they can time stamp it and it can be reviewed at the end of the day when there is more time? It would ensure that the protest if filed in the time limit but would ensure that it has time to be reviewed properly.

Just thoughts,

David
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Good points, I had the same thought on the first one but a good counter was made to it.

You remember your helmet, back protector and even to put gas in your tank. Your transponder is part of your race prep just as anything else is. It's not the responsibility of the staff to score you just because forgot your transponder. They might as well check to see if you've got gas in the bike. Although, if it were changed, I think the fine would be a good deterrent.

On the second. What would be the possibility of protests being filed with Registration (Alan's going to shoot me for this) and they can time stamp it and it can be reviewed at the end of the day when there is more time? It would ensure that the protest if filed in the time limit but would ensure that it has time to be reviewed properly.

Just thoughts,

David

I agree David that the transponder is part of your gear, however, if you do not have enough gas, you just run out. You will still get some points and that is better than nothing. Also, we don't have back up helmets, back protectors and gas tanks, but what we do have is numbers on big white and yellow plates that let people score us manually. We are paying for them to be there, let's use them! I do think the racer should be fined to keep things under control, at least $25.00?

I like the protest idea and I am sure Alan would be more than happy to assist any racer with this kind of problem. He has always tried to help me and I think he does a great job!!

Thanks for your thoughts David and I hope we all take a look at the current format to see if we can improve on it.

I agree David that the transponder is part of your gear, however, if you do not have enough gas, you just run out. You will still get some points and that is better than nothing. Also, we don't have back up helmets, back protectors and gas tanks, but what we do have is numbers on big white and yellow plates that let people score us manually. We are paying for them to be there, let's use them! I do think the racer should be fined to keep things under control, at least $25.00?

I like the protest idea and I am sure Alan would be more than happy to assist any racer with this kind of problem. He has always tried to help me and I think he does a great job!!

Thanks for your thoughts David and I hope we all take a look at the current format to see if we can improve on it.

Randall,

I agree, but as pointed out in earlier threads, the manual scorers are there if there is a problem with electronic scoring not picking up a transponder that is on a bike. I know that several times during the races while corner working we were asked to confirm that there was a transponder on a bike.

and if those big numbers on white or yellow backgrounds weren't there, we wouldn't know which bike to look for. Also, the grid marshall wouldn't know if you were in the right spot. So they do have some use anyway.

And as far as a fine, I would recommend twice the entry fee for the race. if you're going to buy points by not having a transponder, make it more of a thought the next time.

I've worked 4 of the last 5 CMRA days, and in the 3 race days I worked, there was always conversation between manual and electronic scoring to make sure they were on the same page. So they're not just sitting around with nothing to do. (and yes, I know you know this).

Like I said, good points, and I look forward to seeing what the BOD rules on the issue.

and on a side note, you looked damn good, can't wait to see you run again next year.

David

Randall,

I agree, but as pointed out in earlier threads, the manual scorers are there if there is a problem with electronic scoring not picking up a transponder that is on a bike. I know that several times during the races while corner working we were asked to confirm that there was a transponder on a bike.

and if those big numbers on white or yellow backgrounds weren't there, we wouldn't know which bike to look for. Also, the grid marshall wouldn't know if you were in the right spot. So they do have some use anyway.

And as far as a fine, I would recommend twice the entry fee for the race. if you're going to buy points by not having a transponder, make it more of a thought the next time.

I've worked 4 of the last 5 CMRA days, and in the 3 race days I worked, there was always conversation between manual and electronic scoring to make sure they were on the same page. So they're not just sitting around with nothing to do. (and yes, I know you know this).

Like I said, good points, and I look forward to seeing what the BOD rules on the issue.

and on a side note, you looked damn good, can't wait to see you run again next year.

David

Thanks David!!

In my case someone actually removed my transponder from my bike without me knowing. I am aware of the other uses for the numbers, as you pointed out, but if they are scoring us manually no matter what, just in case something happens, why don't we use that info in a helpful way? How often do we lose power? Probably about as much as someone forgets their transponder?

I agree we need enough of a fine to keep racers from getting amnesia [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] Any options for the racers would be better than a DQ.

I appreciate the feedback!!

Thanks David!!

In my case someone actually removed my transponder from my bike without me knowing. I am aware of the other uses for the numbers, as you pointed out, but if they are scoring us manually no matter what, just in case something happens, why don't we use that info in a helpful way? How often do we lose power? Probably about as much as someone forgets their transponder?

I agree we need enough of a fine to keep racers from getting amnesia [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] Any options for the racers would be better than a DQ.

I appreciate the feedback!!