+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NEW to Cornerworking? Got QUESTIONS? LOOK IN HERE!

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    41R

NEW to Cornerworking? Got QUESTIONS? LOOK IN HERE!

SOME OF THESE RULES MAY HAVE CHANGED FOR 2017

Getting a racing license is an exciting and overwhelming opportunity! Every new racer has questions, many of them the same as others have had. This thread is meant to answer some of the more common ones. You CANNOT post here, but I will try and update this area with any new question I get that has not been addressed. For the most part the questions below should get you going!

HOW DO I GET A RACING LICENSE?
    Attend the approved CMRA licensing school and receive a completion certificate.

IS THERE A SEPARATE FEE FOR THE CMRA LICENSING SCHOOL and the CMRA PROVISIONAL NOVICE RACING LICENSE?
    YES. Once you get your School Certificate, you must apply for a CMRA Provisional Novice License either at the track or by mail/fax to the CMRA office. When you apply and pay your fees you will receive a YELLOW SLIP. This will be your PROV NOV TEMPORARY LICENSE. ALWAYS bring this to the track until you are a Licensed Novice as you will need the YELLOW SLIP to REGISTER for races and CORNER WORK. A copy of your school certificate is required at the time of application.

DO I HAVE TO HAVE A PROV NOV LICENSE TO CORNER WORK FOR MY REQUIREMENT?
    YES. In order to keep an accurate record of who has completed the Corner Working and Racing portions of their requirement, the CMRA has to have a file of each racer. Each year many people take a racing class at the approved CMRA school who never intend to begin racing; they just want to become a better rider. The CMRA does not keep a record of those people. We only know who you are when you tell us. How do you tell us? Pay for a racing license.

OKAY...I HAVE TAKEN THE CMRA LICENSING SCHOOL...PAID FOR A CMRA LICENSE...NOW WHAT?
    Now you need to schedule corner working. Every new racer has to corner work TWO days, one SATURDAY and one SUNDAY. When you schedule and whether you work both days together or separately is up to you.

DO I HAVE TO CORNER WORK BEFORE I CAN RACE?
    NO. Your first weekend at the CMRA is your FREE weekend to CHOOSE what you do. If you want to race...race. If you want to work both of your days... work. If you want to work one day and race the other...that is your choice as well!

I HAVE HEARD THAT I HAVE 1 YEAR TO COMPLETE MY PROV NOV REQUIREMENTS. IS THAT TRUE?
    YES and NO. From the date that you originally receive your school certificate, you have 1 YEAR to complete all of the CMRA requirements to obtain a Novice License. If you pass your anniversary date without satisfying those requirements you then must RE-TAKE the school. HOWEVER, this really only applies if you are NOT coming to the track. If you ARE coming to the track, your Corner Working must be completed in a TIMELY manner. I am fairly flexible with dates but be aware you CANNOT race TWO weekends in a row without having corner worked.

CAN I BRING SOMEONE TO WORK WITH ME TO SATISFY ONE OF MY REQUIRED DAYS?
    YES!
    • PROV-NOV'S MUST WORK THE REQUIRED FRIDAY/SATURDAY/SUNDAY. IF YOU CANNOT...HERE ARE THE EXCEPTIONS:
    • YOU MAY USE A SUBSTITUTE YOU FIND TO WORK ONE OF YOUR DAYS.
    • YOUR SUBSTITUTE CANNOT COME FROM MY REGULAR WORKERS, SO DON'T ASK.
    • YOUR SUBSTITUTE MUST BE YOUR EQUAL IN ABILITIES TO PERFORM THE TASK. I WILL EXPECT THEM TO CROSS THE TRACK AND RETRIEVE CRASHED BIKES.
    • YOU CANNOT WORK WITH YOUR SUBSTITUTE.
    • YOUR SUBSTITUTE MUST WORK THE DAY YOU WERE REQUIRED TO WORK.
    • YOU MAY WORK TWO SATURDAYS OR TWO SUNDAYS ONLY IF MILITARY, OR EXTREMELY SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCE.
    • YOU MAY TEAR DOWN AIR FENCE TWICE (TWO SEPARATE WEEKENDS) IN PLACE OF ONE CORNER WORKING DAY.
    • IF YOU TEAR DOWN AIR-FENCE, YOU MAY NOT HAVE A SUBSTITUTE WORK YOUR SECOND DAY. YOU MUST COMPLETE YOUR REQUIREMENT.

CAN I WORK TWO OF THE SAME DAYS?
    NO...and sometimes. 99% of the time you are going to have to work both of your required days. I realize this will make you miss a race, but these are the rules, and everyone has to be treated fairly. Unless you are ACTIVE MILITARY or have an extremely unusual circumstance, there is almost no reason to ask.

I HAVE HEARD THAT WORKING A FRIDAY PRACTICE DAY WILL SATISFY ONE OF MY DAYS?
    YES...This is new for 2017 because we are now hosting the Friday practice days ourselves.

CAN I RACE ON THE DAY THAT I CORNER WORK?
    NO. Corner working is an all day gig. We start before the sun comes up and we watch it go down!

HOW DO I SIGN UP TO CORNER WORK?
    The good news is you are in the right place! Once you are done reading the Thread, back out and look for the thread for the NEXT RACE. Go into that thread and POST that you want to work this event, what day, and that you are a Prov Nov. That is it! I will respond to you directly in your post as soon as I get a chance. If you were able to post, you will likely have a spot.

I WANT TO SCHEDULE BOTH OF MY DAYS, BUT I CANNOT GET INTO ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE CURRENT RACE THREAD TO POST. WHY?
    I only schedule ONE race at a time. A lot changes in our lives between races. You may not realize it now but the CORNER WORKERS are the Hinge Pin of the race day. Without YOU we cannot start the day. It is VERY important that everyone remembers to show up on the date they committed to. I have found you are less likely to forget if you schedule only for the upcoming event. I will UNLOCK the Next Event Thread the day after each Race.

OKAY...I AM SIGNED UP...WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
    #1 - First of all, watch the WEATHER! And then plan for everything. We start early and go late and the weather can change drastically so bring what you need to be comfortable.
    #2 - Dress accordingly. Shorts are fine, but no open toe shoes are allowed. Remember, you are probably going to be running and lifting so think about what you wear. Also, this is TEXAS and there may be ants!
    #3 - Bring a cooler with snacks and drinks. It is a long day, and even though we feed you lunch, you may want a cola or some crackers. A little comfort food makes the day shorter!
    #4 - Bring a CHAIR to sit in. Standing makes for a LONG day!
    #5 - Yellow Prov Nov License? Don't forget to bring this, I need it to give you credit! Don't know what a Yellow Prov Nov License is? You have skipped some questions!

WHAT DOES THE CMRA PROVIDE?
    Weekend gate pass, lunch, a canopy to sit under, and the best seat in the house!

WHAT TIME DO I NEED TO BE AT THE TRACK?
    The front gate opens at 6:00am. I begin checking you in at 6:30am. Remember, signing up IS NOT signing in. I will hold your spot until 6:45am. Each track only has so many corners to fill. If you are late, and the corners are full, you may not get to work....So PLEASE be on time! We can not start racing without you!!

DO I HAVE TO PAY TO GET IN WHEN I AM CORNER WORKING?
    NO. When you get to the front gate just tell the CMRA gate staff you are a Corner Worker, they will mark your name off a list I have provided them, and you will get in for free for the weekend.

WHAT IF SOMETHING COMES UP AND I CANNOT MAKE IT?
    Do everything you can to keep your commitment because the WHOLE club depends on the Corner Workers, but in the end, sometimes life just gets in the way. If you know you are not going to be at the track to work, let me know as soon as possible so I can fill your spot. If something happens last minute...No Worries!.....IF....you remember to cancel before the weekend is up. Just go to your POST and cancel just like you signed up. I will check them Monday. BUT...If you do not cancel and just do not show up...you could be fined!

What is the minimum age (minor) cut off to corner work? In the past it has been 16 yrs. Does this still stand to be the same for this year?
    Where PN CW Requirements are concerned, if the new racer is under 16 years of age, they are required to work, and a Parent MUST work with them.
    The cutoff for everyone else is 18 years, but I do make exceptions based on maturity. Under 18 years always works with another adult.
    Last edited by Nancy Selleck; 09-02-2017 at 11:35 AM.
    ”The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.” - Chinese Proverb

Bike #
    I'm corner working Saturday. Is it OK to have my girlfriend with me when I corner work.

Idk for fact, but I'm sure if she's willing, she can be the second person and maybe even earn some $$$$
    Joe Rodriguez

I will be driving from Louisiana on Friday night from Louisiana to race Halett on Sunday. I will not arrive to the track until +/- 5 am Saturday morning and I still have to corner work to fulfill my prov-nov duties. Can my wife corner work half a day for me on Saturday, and me work the other half so I can knock out some of my corner working obligations?

Hey guys. New guy here. My friend and I are both extremely interested in corner working this Sunday. However, when we click on the link to sign up it directs us to the forums instead and will not direct us to a sign up page. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have emailed Nancy but it is the end of the work day so I do not expect a reply this evening and I am very anxious to get signed up to reserve a spot for both myself and my friend.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Madison View Post
    Hey guys. New guy here. My friend and I are both extremely interested in corner working this Sunday. However, when we click on the link to sign up it directs us to the forums instead and will not direct us to a sign up page. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have emailed Nancy but it is the end of the work day so I do not expect a reply this evening and I am very anxious to get signed up to reserve a spot for both myself and my friend.
    post in the event forum post. There is no link.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Madison View Post
    This is the one for Hallett this weekend.

http://www.cmraracing.com/showthread...ept-16-18-2016

I work corners for auto racing at Hallett and we must wear all white. Is this the same for bike events?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Utterback View Post
    I work corners for auto racing at Hallett and we must wear all white. Is this the same for bike events?
    No, you are not required to wear all white. We provide the t-shirt that you'll wear.
    Nancy Selleck
    Retired CMRA Administrator (October 2002 - March 2009, March 2010 - July 2018)

+ Reply to Thread