Thread: motor shipping

motor shipping

what is the best way to get a complete engine and some spares shipped from dallas area to wash DC? any people that have shiped engines before thoughts would be great.
    D&G Motorsports
    Gamba Stewart #28
    Dionne "The Smart One" Stewart Team Owner

Re: motor shipping

You can post up on www.uship.com and see what they would charge. Or try forward air. They usually have hubs near airports.
    -Gabe

I use R&L carriers...they are very good. If you are going to ship LTL, it really helps to ship through someone that has a good relationship with a carrier. Without the discount, it gets a bit expensive.

Dean

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Gamba, I shipped my 636 motor thru UPS a few weeks ago. Strapped it down on a small pallet and stapled a box over the pallet. Cost me $137 to ship it to New York, with insurance for what I sold the motor for.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

If you set up an account w/ FedEx online-anyone can w/ a cc-& drop the ready to ship box off at one of their distribution hubs-list is online-It costs about 1/2 of what ups charges for large items
    #56 Team EDS

I recently used Forward Air from the dallas hub to the denver hub. It only cost $97 including insurance for $1500. Very quick delivery but it took me about 1 1/2 hours from the time I got there until they were done with me; walk in customers are small fry for them so they aren't very well setup for it (they have to weigh it, tell you what it's gonna be then you have to go get a money order and come back and pay- they don't take cash, cks, or cc's; unless of course you're using an account). And crating it was a bit of a process, but overall it was very straightforward, no pun intended!

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Being in the freight business let me give one word of warning on Forward Air. A LOT OF THIER FREIGHT GETS DAMAGED. This is mostly due to the people working the docks loading and unloading the trailers. I can't even begin to count the damaged freight I have picked up from them over the last 6-7 years.
    CMRA Asst. Race Director/Safety Officer/Medical Liaison/Outrider
    CMRA BoD Member 2018-2023
    Ex#29

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

plus one for forward air.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

ive sent several via fedex freight with good success. strapped them to $15 furniture dolly with m/c tie downs and wrapped with plastic wrap..alot of wrap..@75 bucks if i recall