Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Provisional Novice Licensing Procedure

Quote Originally Posted by Quan Luu View Post
    This is true! I only wanted him to compete f7 bc I'm a worried father! There's only one f7 race per wknd. He was too old for Jr motard but I felt not ready for the competitiveness of the 250 sprints. Had to drive to Hallet to complete his 4th wknd for him to get his prov nov completed and now has his race license so he can practice down in Houston on his 250 on trackdays. He'll be racing f4 or e superstock and LW endurance this year. Super excited!

Hi Nancy!

Sent from my Motorola Moto X
    Sounds like he is ready for more races. Very cool. I've seen Caleb at some of the trackdays. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Reeves View Post
    Sounds like he is ready for more races. Very cool. I've seen Caleb at some of the trackdays. Good luck!
    Thanks Brad!

Sent from my Motorola Moto X

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Selleck View Post
    two race weekends without crashing (minimum of two races per weekend). In some cases, an endurance race will qualify to meet the two race minimum; prior notification to the Pit Steward is required for this option (see rulebook for specific information).
    Will the LWE race this saturday count? How do I contact Pit Steward to ask him? I couldnt find his email or contact info.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Umayr Kaleem View Post
    Will the LWE race this saturday count? How do I contact Pit Steward to ask him? I couldnt find his email or contact info.
    That means you need to check in, at pit out on the day of the race, and let him know you're going out. And check in when you come back in so it can be noted.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Oh okay. Cool. Thank u

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Umayr Kaleem View Post
    Check the rulebook but I believe the equivalent of two 20-minute stints must be completed during the endurance race to count for your two races. So either do one 40+ minute stint or two 20+ minute stints.
    Tesseract Racing - Kawasaki Ninja 250R #74
    Yamaha WR250X #743

^^ The first full paragraph on Rule book Page #2 (pdf page 14)
    Alan Etheredge, Associate and Interested Observer ~2003-2019
    At-Track Registration Staff ~2003-2017; CMRA Administrator 2009.

Bump to top.
    Nancy Selleck
    Retired CMRA Administrator (October 2002 - March 2009, March 2010 - July 2018)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    In addition to this post, I was thinking a handout "How-to Guide for Prov Novs" would be useful when they complete registration. There are a lot of wee tips and tricks we have all learned to make our weekend easier. I wrote out some of these below. Anyone have any other good ones? I want to keep it concise, but useful.

I remember my first two weekends as being overly stressful due to the procedures. Going up to tech without a kickstand for the first time, I was more worried about dropping the bike during tech than anything else. A guy called Kevin Taylor was pitted next to me and helped me with a bunch of things I didn't know about - good example of Prov Novs needing some guidance.

Tips to make your first weekend a success:

Charge your transponder, if you have your own. These need about 24 hours to charge fully so do this the day or week before the event. On most, you can check it by looking to see how many green flashes from the light. Each flash represents a day left of usage. Maximum 4 flashes, so it will last a whole weekend.

Tape the schedule the inside of your trailer, so you can easily get to the race schedule.

Keep some blue painters tape and a Sharpie marker to write down your grid positions. Write down your race number and grid position, eg 7M for 7 Middle. Stick this to your tank so you can look down and check it when you are coming up to the grid on the sighting lap. Write your tire pressures down on the tank too.

Place your tire pressure gauge and yellow shirt on your bike seat, so you can’t forget these.

Fuel – put fuel in your bike to the level where you can see it in the tank. Fuel gauges are inaccurate.

For filling out forms, make sure you have the following information handy on your phone:
    • Registrations
    • VIN number
    • Emergency Contact name and phone numbers
    • Transponder number (written on the transponder – usually a 7 digit number)
    • Medications you take

Download “Race Monitor” on your mobile phone and use it to check that you are listed in the practice sessions. If you are not, go to registration as soon as you can.

Remember your lever guard. If you need to take your lever guard off to transport your bike, keep tools handy and put it on as soon as you arrive at the track. Vortex Racing make Handlebar Cuffs where you don’t have to take your lever guard off.

Wear your helmet when you ride up to Tech inspect your bike. Have the tech inspector hold your bike for you to take off your helmet without dropping the bike.

Get comfortable with not having a kickstand. Practice taking your bike on and off the stand by yourself and make sure you can push it around comfortably. Make sure your stand is adjusted to make this easy.

Make sure you understand the classes your bike is eligible for. Rule book is available on the website. If in doubt, ask any CMRA racer for advice.

Get here early. More time you have to take care of entry, paperwork, tech, the less stressful this will be. Gates open at 6am – be there. Bring $20 cash for the gate per person – gate does not take credit cards.

Electrolytes and water. There will be no shortage of people telling you to drink water, but also make sure you have something which can stop you getting dehydrated and a headache. A 24 pack of water per person per day is a good rule of thumb to ensure you have enough for all day. Especially important at Hallett, since you can’t get out of the track to get more water during the races.