Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Provisional Novice Licensing Procedure

Provisional Novice Licensing Procedure

I have received numerous emails and phone calls with questions about Prov Nov licensing procedures. The licensing schools handbooks include a section in the back with the following information, so I'm not sure where the breakdown in communication is, but since there is still a lot of confusion out there, I thought I'd put this down in writing where everyone can access it.

CMRA Provisional Novice (Prov Nov) Licensing Procedure

1. Successfully complete the CMRA Licensing School. Upon completion, you will receive a copy of the school handbook, completion certificate and a yellow Prov Nov t-shirt. If you do not receive these three items, please contact me.

CMRA License School Info: You can either take it directly from the CMRA or through an approved Track Day Organization.

CMRA-taught License School: In 2018, the CMRA offers the license school for $85 on the Friday of each race weekend. The $85 fee includes classroom and track time. At-track Registration usually opens at 6:30 and the class begins at 8:00. You can pre-register for the school using the form here: http://www.cmraracing.com/attachment...8&d=1513701590 or register at the track. Check the detailed weekend schedule for exact times. Bike prep: track day prep is okay (taped lights, mirrors removed, safety-wired oil drain plug, oil filters, oil filler cap, etc.) for the school and mock race on-track sessions only. In order to participate in regular racer practice sessions, the bike must pass race-prep Tech.

Track Day Organization-taught License School: The CMRA License School is also offered at approved Track Day Organizations at various locations and times throughout the year. At this time, the 2018 list of approved Track Day Organizations include: RideSmart Motorcycle School www.ridesmart.info and Sport Rider Coaching www.SportRiderCoaching.com. Visit their websites for dates, fees and bike-prep information.

Please Note: Fees paid for the CMRA License School do not include the fee for the CMRA Competition License.

2. Apply for your CMRA license. If you have taken and passed your licensing school and want to apply for your race license, there are two ways to accomplish that. You can print the forms from the Forms Page of our website: http://www.cmraracing.com/forms.html and then scan/email, fax or mail it in to the CMRA office or if you’d rather do it at the track, we have the forms there for you to fill out. Do not use the online forms for at-track registration. (If you decide to do it ahead of time at the office, keep in mind that the deadline is Thursday, 9 days before a race weekend. License applications are not processed during the week prior to a race weekend. If it is within that time frame, you will have to do it at the track.) Whether application is made at the office or at the track, you will need to provide a copy of your school completion certificate. Instructions (and fees) for completing the license application are included with the forms. Please note: Prov Novs are not eligible for the one-weekend license option.

If you take and pass the school on the Friday of a race weekend, you can apply for your license that weekend. You are then eligible to ride and/or cornerwork that same weekend. If you are planning to take your school on the Friday of a race weekend and want to corner work that same weekend, you must sign up for corner working ahead of time on the Corner Working Forum here: http://www.cmraracing.com/forumdispl...er-Information. Corner working sign-ups usually close 2-3 days before the race weekend.

3. Competition Number. Each rider is assigned a unique competition number. Even if the rider is only competing in Endurance Racing, they are assigned a personal sprint competition number. Look in the Announcements Section of the CMRA Forum to see a list of available competition numbers. If you decide to apply for your license via the CMRA office, there is a place on your application to put your top three number choices. If none of those three are available, I will contact you to let you know what is available. If you apply for your license at the track, we have a list you can look at. We sell black race numbers in Registration for $1 each, so you can buy them there if need be. We also sell yellow background sheets to make your number plate. They are $3 each. (We also have the required backgrounds and numbers for helmets available at the merchandise tent).

4. Prov Nov License Requirements. Once you have applied for your license, you will receive a yellow paper Prov Nov license. This is your license until you have completed all four of your Prov Nov requirements; so do not lose it and make sure you bring it with you to the track. In order to move from Prov Nov to a regular Novice rider, you are required to work two days of Corner Working and two race weekends without crashing (minimum of two races per weekend).
    A. Corner Working Requirement: A Provisional Novice must work two corner working days (both a Saturday and a Sunday; or a Friday can replace either the Saturday or Sunday). A Prov Nov is allowed to provide a suitable substitute to work one of their required days. Suitable meaning that they can provide the same duties as the Prov Nov: pick up a crashed bike, etc. Substitutes may not work on the same day as the Prov Nov.
    B. Crash Free Race Weekends Requirement: A Provisional Novice may race as many races as their bike is legal for each weekend, but they must complete the entire weekend without crashing (including practice). An endurance race will qualify to meet the two race minimum as long as the proper procedure is followed. A minimum of one 40-minute stint or two 20-minute stints are required to meet the requirement. The Prov Nov must report to the Pit Steward prior to and after each stint. The Pit Steward will record the time out and the time in for each stint. The Prov Nov must do the reporting themselves...no one else may do it for them. (Please see rulebook for specific information). Failure to report will disqualify that race stint.

Your school certificate is good for 12 months from the date of the class, so all four of your requirements must be completed within that 12 months or you will have to retake the licensing school. You are encouraged to complete your corner working as soon as possible. The paper Prov Nov license has a place for four signatures and you will have each requirement signed off immediately upon completion. The Corner Worker Marshal, Barry Nichols, will sign off on your corner working and a clerk in Registration will sign off on your race weekend. Do not forget to get the required signature upon completion of the requirement. As soon as you have all four signatures, you will turn your Prov Nov license in to Registration at the track or mail it to the CMRA office. At that point, you will be mailed your Novice license card and you will not be required to wear your yellow Prov Nov t-shirt anymore. Until you receive your Novice license card, you must continue to wear your yellow t-shirt when on-track. Common misinformation: non-crash race weekends do not have to be consecutive. Once you have a signature on your Prov Nov license, you do not have to repeat that requirement. Your school certificate is good for 12 months.

5. License School Certificate Expiration.
    If you do not complete all four Prov Nov requirements before your school certificate expires, you will have to re-take the school. All requirements already completed AND signed off do not have to be repeated. After you re-take your licensing school, you will need to finish the requirements not completed and get signatures for those. Do not lose or throw away your Prov Nov license...those signatures are important.

Keep in mind the following points:
    1. Yellow Prov Nov t-shirt must be worn any time you are on the track at a CMRA event.
    2. Crashing in practice or a race both count against the no-crash requirement.
    3. You cannot work on your Prov Nov requirements until you are licensed or on a race weekend, have signed up for the school. Until you are licensed, you are not a Prov Nov...you are a motorcycle rider who has completed the CMRA Licensing School.
    4. Corner working sign up is done by reservation through the Corner Worker Section of the Message Board. Each race weekend has a separate thread which is unlocked a few weeks before the race weekend. Once the thread is unlocked, reservations are open. You have to be a registered user of the CMRA Message Board to be able to post in this section. The information needed in your post is First and Last Name, day(s) you want to work, and that you are working for your Prov Nov requirement. Barry will respond in your post as soon as he can. Repeated posts, calls or emails will not get a reply any sooner.
    5. Our goal is to get you out on the track so you can race and have a great time doing it. If you have any questions about any part of the licensing process, please feel free to contact me directly or post your questions here for the benefit of others who may have the same question.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Nancy Selleck; 06-06-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    Nancy Selleck
    Retired CMRA Administrator (October 2002 - March 2009, March 2010 - July 2018)

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

Re: Provisional Novice Licensing Procedure

Hi nancy 1 question do you have to wear the yellow t shirt when your corner working? thank you.

Hi Tim,

No. You are only required to wear your yellow Prov Nov shirt anytime you are on the racetrack on your bike (practice and racing).

Cornerworkers are provided cornerworker-specific t-shirts during the morning cornerworkers meeting.
    Nancy Selleck

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

I was wondering if I took the CMRA-taught license school at MSRH could I race that same weekend or would I have to wait till the next race weekend?

Thomas,

Yes, you can race the same weekend that you take your school.

See Section 2 in my post above for additional information.
    Nancy Selleck

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Ok awesome thanks for the reply.

Nancy,

I have applied for my license. Will I receive the pink paper license in the mail, or do I get it at my first race?

Thank you,

Howard

Howard, it went out in yesterday's mail.
    Nancy Selleck

Thank you, so much.

Congrats Howard!!