Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Health Care Insurance and Motorcycle racing

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Health Care Insurance and Motorcycle racing

In speaking with many of you casually it has come to my attention that many of us attend racing events without healthcare insurance of any kind. In defense of this, it is not uncommon for younger folks, that being those of you in your 20's, to not have healthcare insurance as the reality is you really have no use for it. At that age it is not common to get sick often or go to see the doctor on a regular basis. At that age the likelihood that you will need a doctor, aside from trauma, is low. So most in that age group don't carry it. Fine. However, going to a racing event without it is not only reckless but really irresponsible and here is why.

Careflight's cost $5000.00 to $7000.00. Walking into the ER before any tests are done $800.00. Cat Scan, MRI or any other testing $1000- $1500 at least; each! Consultation by physicians or surgeons starts at $500.00 and god forbid you need surgery, forget it. For example, my friend shattered his shoulder last year at Barber and his total hospital bill was over $100,000. Of which all, except for his deductible, was paid for by his insurance carrier.

For those of you who don't think you can afford a plan please consider the following. You can become a member of Careflight for $49.00/year which means they will cover most of the expense of a flight. If you think you can't afford healthcare insurance look into having a major medical only plan which means a big hit, like a motorcycle crash with fractures and such, will be covered. Price will be likely $100.00 to $200.00/month. Also, if you need to save money, which in this day and age we all do, get a plan with a high deductible. This will keep your monthly payments low. A high deductible will mean that you will be responsible for a larger portion of the bill. For example, if you have a $2500.00 deductible and your hospital bill is $100,000, you only have to pay the $2500.00. Sounds pretty good when you put it that way.

I've been really impressed by what a great organization the CMRA is and I'm proud to have become a part of it. I've met a bunch of really nice folks and I'm just trying to do my part to keep you all healthy and racing. If any of you have any questions feel free to contact me via this board or in my office: 817-375-0300. I have great insurance guy, who aside from thinking I'm nuts for racing, gets very affordable insurance for me and my staff.

You're all free to do as you wish. This is just food for thought. See you all at ECR.

And I like to thank Walter for fishing my bike out of the tumble weeds at MSR.
    Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.
    Racing support: The Metric Garage

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Re: Health Care Insurance and Motorcycle racing

Some of us just stick our fingers in our ears, close our eyes and say "nananananana."

Me, I've got coverage but I do the above when it comes to whether I'm covered in a racing event.

Thanks for the reminder, though.
    Provisional Expert #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Good Info!
    Thanks Joe.
    Ronnie

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

This should be part of a racing primer. Great stuff!

Great info Joe! Looking up Careflight now.
    As an employee of an insurance company, I have learned that not all insurance covers incidents that occur while participating in "dangerous" activities. It's worthwhile asking to make sure and if they don't supplemental coverage is relatively cheap.
    Non-Member, Uber Poster who is hopelessly addicted to motorcycle racing, but can't race.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean Gurevich</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This should be part of a racing primer. Great stuff! </div></div>

When I got my license, the instructor did a session on it. It was covered in the CMRA book.
    CMRA Expert #101
    EBR 1190RX, Large BGE

Tested my Insurance at TWS this year. Thankfully I had it!
    Ron Harris
    eürtoast!
    Novice #308

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

I have found out a few additional bits of information since I posted this.

1. Unless you have a specific exclusion for motor sports, you likely HAVE coverage for motorcycle racing related events through your standard insurance. I have Blue Cross/ Blue Shield and am covered under a standard plan. Please double check because some plans will distinguish between &quot;track day&quot; recreational events and &quot;timed competitive&quot; events that are sanctioned.

2. Disability insurance will have to be specific for motor sports. Its expensive. But if you truly want this coverage its available and will cover you for up to 60% of your income. You'll need a broker to find this.

3. Life insurance, if you have it, needs to be specific to cover motor sports. Almost no standard plan will cover you if the worst should happen. Let's make a pact to never find this out.

Safe riding.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Caruso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Careflight's cost $5000.00 to $7000.00. </div></div>

on what f-ing magical fantasy planet?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

This is average cost and my last experience with this was in the north east as a fellow at a level one trauma department. Admittedly, that was now 5 years ago so likely you are correct in that the price has gone up. Thanks