Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amsoil Coolant

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Re: Amsoil Coolant

1. I thought Engine Ice was AMA approved, and that's a PropGlycol product?

2. Amsoil is a sponsor of EBR. Ostensibly they run it. I also know what they recommend to those of us who had super-stock motors built by them. It wasn't Amsoil. At the time, they didn't have enough race experience with it to recommend it, so they told me to run Motul 300V. That may have changed.
    CMRA Expert #101
    EBR 1190RX, Large BGE

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

The 2011 AMA rulebook has a mention of propylene glycol but it was scratched out- presumably a change from the previous year. However, the 2012 rulebook states, as Mr. Kitchens previously mentioned, that no glycol-based coolant is allowed.

David Sprague
    Team Owner
    Mahna Mahna
    Somebody

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil Kitchens</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dunno about Amsoil...trying to do a search on their 'Dominator Coolant Boost', all of the 'independent tests' direct back to the same test that's on Amsoil's website, and the 'test results' read like an Amsoil advertisement...

Also, there's an Amsoil dealer right down the road from my shop, and I popped in a few months back to inquire about some specifics and see about possibly running it in my racebikes, and the guy who owned the place (and when I asked 'I'd like to speak to someone who actually knows about oil, not just someone who sells it' he was the one that the employee directed me to) didn't seem like he knew Jack about Spit.

Seems like snake oil to me. I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that a 'miracle product' hasn't either had more 'independent' tests done that show how amazing it is.

http://tornadoair.com/ </div></div>

We've used it on all of our fleet vehicles for a long time, it usually increases fuel economy in gas engines about 1 mpg or so, and up to 2 on my diesels. it works really well, but it is pricey and now there are probably some good equivalents on the market, but they are pricey too. I've run Ams in my bikes since i started riding these things. It elimanted my false neutrals as well, and got rid of the Kawasaki top end rattle i seem to get in my bikes (08 ZX10R, 08 ZX14, 08 ZX6R) and most importantly to me, i've run the 10 out of oil (oil pan bolt dropped) and rode about a mile with no oil, and my engine not only survived, it didn't have any damage. Just some real world experiences with Ams over the years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey Lewis
    I would like to run Amsoil in my bikes, but i don't know if they are acceptable. I just read where Erik Buell is running it, and i'm an Amsoil distributor. Is this allowed for the tracks we run at? Amsoil says it's &quot;Propylene Glycol Antifreeze and Engine Coolant&quot;.
    I think there is quite a bit of confusion in this thread. Amsoil sells two cooling system products - their &quot;Propylene Glycol Antifreeze and Engine Coolant&quot; and their &quot;Dominator Coolant Boost&quot;. The &quot;Propylene Glycol Antifreeze and Engine Coolant&quot; is actual coolant, like you put in your car, and is definitely illegal for any racing organization. The &quot;Dominator Coolant Boost&quot; is their version of Red Line, Engine Ice, Water Wetter, whatever. It should contain no glycol and be legal for any racing organization. Check with Tech to be sure, but nowhere does &quot;Dominator Coolant Boost&quot; mention containing any glycol, you were simply looking at the wrong product.

And yeah, it's a pyramid scheme.

it is very simple. just like redline water wetter it is a surfactant. it lowers the surface tension of the water which increases dwell time on the metal surfaces allowing more heat to transfer to the water.
    Pyramid schemes are illegal. Multi-level marketing, or private franchising are legal. If you remember way back McDonalds was one vote away from being considered illegal back in the wars against franchises like Amway...which oh by the way is still a multi-billion dollar company. First NBA team bought with one check, Orland Magic. Who-&gt;Rich DeVoss, partial owner of Amway.
    The dumb crap you learn in school!
    995Paintworks.com, Dunlop/Whoopie cycles
    RPSRaceTeam.com, LoneStar Track Days
    South Austin Motorcycle Co-op, Sharkskinz, Amsoil

exactly as mr. sprague quotes the rule book, if it says glycol it is not allowed on a CMRA track
    staff/tech

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Kuelbs
    The &quot;Dominator Coolant Boost&quot; is their version of Red Line, Engine Ice, Water Wetter, whatever. It should contain no glycol and be legal for any racing organization. Check with Tech to be sure, but nowhere does &quot;Dominator Coolant Boost&quot; mention containing any glycol, you were simply looking at the wrong product.
    Sorry, but Engine Ice is Glycol based and not legal in most race orgs.

Sorry, my oversight, Engine Ice isn't one I've used, just thought it was a Water Wetter ripoff.

Engine isn't a Watter Wetter rip off. It works great on MX bikes where glycol isn't a problem.