Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better Than Family! WERA GNF

Better Than Family! WERA GNF

I've always heard that the roadracing community is more like a family. I'm here to tell you it's better than that!

We just returned from the 2012 WERA GNF at Barber Motorsports Park and I'm still amazed at what happened while we were there. My son, Eric Williams, had a pretty bad get-off in practice Thursday afternoon. I couldn't find him for a while after the crash, which is a tense situation for a parent. He finally showed up in the crash truck with what I kind of recognized as our race bike. It was in lots of pieces, some of which were missing. What wasn't broken or missing was bent, and what wasn't broken, missing or bent was leaking. Bryan Altmeyer and Keith Hertell dropped what they were doing and unloaded the bike while I checked on Eric and tried to find out what had happened. I talked to Eric for maybe two minutes in the trailer and when we came out I couldn't even see the bike. It was totally surrounded by people and tools. Bryan and Keith were hard at work as was John Hutchinson, Brandon Spradling, Steve McNamara and Jesse Davis. Brandon Altmeyer took the wheels to have the dirt and grass removed, checked for straightness, and the tires remounted. MacMan made an inventory of needed parts (which continued to grow as the work progressed) and took off to find parts. Hutch took care of the bent bars and controls. Brandon offered "anything at all" from his trailer. Keith and Bryan kept removing bad parts and removing debris. Jesse Davis was right in the middle of things and would remain there with MacMan through the evening and giving up his own practice time to get us back on the track.

DJ Ricks asked Eric and myself to come with him to his pit. When we got there Mike Sweeney was waiting for us and offered us his SV with a newly rebuilt motor and fresh suspension. We were totally blown away. These guys are awesome!

All of the effort would have been in vain if the TOBC team had not come by to ask us what we needed. They brought us parts.......lots of parts. Darrell Emerson and Russell Masecar went above and beyond to help us out and even offered us a bike to ride if we couldn't get ours repaired. Some of you might remember the TOBC guys from the first CMRA round this season. They came all the way from Maryland to see what the CMRA was all about and said they had a great time and really enjoyed the hospitality they were shown. I hope they make more CMRA rounds next year. They have a facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/tobc.racing?fref=ts

Jesse Davis sent us to the hotel ( I hadn't slept in over 40 hours by that point) to get some rest and he worked late into the night to get the bike finished. We showed up the next morning and had a running bike with a fresh tech sticker. Eric took it out for a few practice laps and we looked it over for leaks or any other problems. There weren't any.

When I saw the bike roll up on the crash truck I figured I'd just load it up, watch races and drink beer. I never thought Eric would get to ride it. Thanks to everyone I mentioned and probably a few people I didn't even see, Eric managed to get to the podium at a WERA National in his first expert season. Eric, his mom Liz, and myself would like to thank all of you from the bottom of our hearts. This really is a family!

I have officially adopted Jesse so if anyone ever has an issue with him at the track just come looking for me before you mess with my kid. I'm easy to find.

Also, congratulations to the CMRA riders who won titles and made the podium at the GNF. Lots of hard luck this year, but lots of success too. I don't want to get specific until I can review the results because I don't want to leave anyone out. WERA should have their results posted soon and I'll post up the CMRA racers finishes unless someone beats me to it.

Like I always say, everyone needs at least one Mitch. Sounds like everyone needs a Mitch and a Jesse to back up that Mitch.
    s
    Congrats to you guys, you and that Amish son of yours deserves success!

The list of folks you did mention above is a pretty dern top-notch group of folks, and some of my favorites to be around.

See you at TWS Mitch!
    You're like a kid in a batman costume at Halloween....you think you're cute...and you think you're batman.
    -Author name withheld to protect the further embarrassment of the guilty

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Great people, great story, glad everything worked out, and congrats to Eric and all of the other CMRA racers who attended.

It was great watching everything and everybody coming together!

Status
    Expert
    Blog Entries
    Great story. WERA and the people in the Southeast have always been some of the best people to race with or around. It has always been like that. Unfortunately our club made some decisions years ago that really hasn't been conducive to our membership regularly racing with them. When you have guys/lengends like Vic Fasola, Opie Caylor, and new folks like TOBC and the many others helping at will...it really underscores what a great event the GNF has always been.

All the CMRA racers as usual showed well. I was happy to get our bike running right before Danny's race after wasting almost all Friday and Saturday morning practice chasing electrical issues. Some of the best racing I have seen in awhile over half the races seemed to be wire to wire close racing for the win.
    Marcus McBain
    Market Manager - United States
    JRi Shocks LLC

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Great story. I wish I coulda made it there.

Next year for sure!
    David Kobierowski
    CMRA #669
    6DHelmets.com - Suspension for your head
    2014 ESS LW Endurance 2nd Place

It was really awesome to see so many CMRA racers show up for the GNF. Thanks for making the trip east.

I'm glad Eric was able to get back on track. I don't know most of the CMRA SV riders, but I know DJ and Eric are two of the fastest and I like racing with those guys. Hope everyone made it home safely and perhaps myself and the whole TOBC Racing crew will make it back for another round of CMRA races. We haven't seen 20 bike lightweight expert grids in quite a while. Good fun, I hope to see some of you guys next year.

Russell Masecar
    TOBC Racing #63

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    All great guys and a great story.

And Jesse can seem like a real doosh until you get to know him. I love the dude.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    awesome!!!!! Glad it all worked out. When I first started racing I heard all the stories, and now it seems as if racers are doing what they do best, and that's racing. I concur that there are some awesome people in the WERA paddock just as there are in our own paddock. I think the NOLA round should be pretty interesting and a sort of midseason GNF. Let's us as a club, promote it to be a big thing and bring in the fastest guys from all over the country.

COngrats to Eric and his family! That's what racing is all about.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Great write up Mitch! Yup, we have a great group here!

Heinz Roy
    Novice #458 | BTO Racing #58 (Mini Endurance)
    Not a complete idiot, some parts are on backorder.
    Thanks to...Lucas Oil Products | Dunlop Tires | BDtrackside.com/Vesrah Brake Pads | SoloMotoParts.com | 212Decals.com | Moto Liberty