Thread: Ultra-light enclosed trailers

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Ultra-light enclosed trailers

I'm really getting tired of what happens to my bikes when I have to pull in the rain with an open trailer. Yuck. The Kendon is great and all, but what a mess if you run into any water on the roads, etc. Not to mention the road damage I'm getting from ordinary dry debris.

I'm looking for an ultra-light, small enclosed trailer. Ideally, would be under 2,500 lbs including two bikes, gear, tools, etc. I'm not too cost sensitive if I can find what I want -- I realize I'm probably talking about an aluminum trailer here. My typical pull is two bikes, stands, extra wheels, canopy, gear, and 20 gals of race fuel. So, a trailer around 1,000lbs would fit the ticket.

What are some manufacturers I should look at in this space?
    CMRA Expert #101
    EBR 1190RX, Large BGE

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Jim, I purchased a 5 x 10 Cargo Craft from R & J Trailers in Seagoville. It hauls two full-size bikes, generator and all the other gack I need. It is a lower height and, if I wanted to, could put in my garage. It has a fold-down ramp, leg stabilizers and no side door (my choice). I finished / customized the interior myself.

It is less than 1,000 pounds and I pull it easily with my 2005 Ford Escape 3.0L, V6. I paid less than 2,000 for it. Just a suggestion to check them out...

http://www.tuggertrailers.com/

I've been very happy with it.
    Last edited by Heinz Roy; 04-26-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    Heinz Roy
    Novice #458 | BTO Racing #58 (Mini Endurance)
    Not a complete idiot, some parts are on backorder.
    Thanks to...Lucas Oil Products | Dunlop Tires | BDtrackside.com/Vesrah Brake Pads | SoloMotoParts.com | 212Decals.com | Moto Liberty

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Jim, we've been using a 12x7 v-nose Featherlite for several years and have been very happy with it. It's 6' tall on the inside, so I'm not constantly ducking or hitting my head, and weighs about 1300 pounds empty being a single axle. Has side door and rear ramp door. We've got it set up to haul three bikes and gear, but it's a tight fit. Two bikes and gear fit comfortably in there. We're actually looking to sell this one and get a slightly larger trailer since we're usually taking 3 bikes to the track, and would like a bit more room...which is we decided to do right after I put new all new brakes, bearings, and tires on it a few weeks ago. Featherlite is on the upper end of the price point though, with it being all aluminum construction.
    CMRA #75
    TipToes and Tonka Trucks Endurance #75
    Special thanks to R&R Tool and Die, G-Baby Racing, Cafe Racer

If a lightweight and well built trailer is what you need, Featherlite is what you want. I've owned Doolittle, Pace, and Featherlite and the Featherlite has been my favorite for many reasons.