Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DINNER: "How to write a resume and market your sposnors"

Status
    Expert
    Blog Entries

DINNER: "How to write a resume and market your sposnors"

RPSRaceTeam.com presents "How to write a race resume and market your sponsors"
    We are having a dinner at Motopia Motorcycle Café in Dallas, Texas on Saturday
    November 9th over “How to write a race resume and marketing your
    sponsors”. This is going to be a really unique format. We will have sponsors
    there and we will provide you format(s) that will generate 1000.00 – 5000.00 in
    revenue and program savings outside of what you are doing already.

This is a rare opportunity to talk to people that provide sponsorship, while at
    the same time seeing how they want to see your resume format. Those that come for
    the dinner will receive a working example of a successful resume format so they
    can build their own. In addition, racers that attend can pay 50.00 extra and
    RPSRaceTeam.com will write a resume for you. You can register for the dinner at
    http://www.rpsraceteam.com/#!form-for-dinner--motopia/c1q4k

Specific Information about the dinner
    Sponsorship and marketing are dependent on what the racer can provide in terms of on-track
    performance, marketing, and overall brand enhancement. This dinner provides
    insight on selecting a resume format (examples of resumes will be provided),
    what sponsors want to see, and what obligation(s) you need to prepare for when
    you accept sponsorship. Key items to be discussed include:

Plan your racing program:
    Race within your budget. Sponsorship should not replace your personal commitment to
    your program, but rather enhance your program.

Resume format:
    Make sure you send the right format and what is appropriate

What sponsors want from you:
    Details on what sponsors want and expect

Marketing through the internet:
    Using the Webpages, Facebook, and E-Marketing to the benefit of your racing program.

When you want to accept sponsorship:
    Understanding the cost associated with accepting sponsorship

Q&A Session with sponsors:
    Ask sponsors what they want to see from racers.

Immediate sponsorship available:
    Attendees will be immediately eligible for sponsorship after attending the dinner and
    completing required forms and applications.

COST: 95.00 (Spouse/Partner only 35.00 more)
    Dinner included with seminar
    Register through www.RPSRaceTeam.com
    Date: November 9, 2013

4123 N. Central Expressway
    Dallas, Texas 75204Call 281.225.2474 or email mmcbain@rpsraceteam.com with questions

Marcus McBain
    Market Manager - United States
    JRi Shocks LLC

Status
    Expert
    Blog Entries
    If you have signed up, you will have received a confirmation email this morning. If you have not received an email, contact me through email: mmcbain (AT) rpsraceteam.com
    Marcus McBain
    JRi Shocks LLC

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Wow! Way to help the sport Marcus.

Bike #
    I;d be all over this opportunity if I were in Dallas. Anyone from Houston wanna carpool?
    Amsoil questions, product applications, or how to order LCRamsoil@gmail.com

Status
    Expert
    Blog Entries
    Dennis, I think John and I may have some spots...I am driving up that morning and coming back that evening.
    Marcus McBain
    JRi Shocks LLC

I am pretty sure I am going!

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    i think the most important thing about sponsorship, is to make sure you thank, and represent the people who help you out. Would you agree Marcus?

Status
    Expert
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Davis View Post
    i think the most important thing about sponsorship, is to make sure you thank, and represent the people who help you out. Would you agree Marcus?
    I think you always have to start there…and sincerely thanking your sponsors goes a long way.

At some point, though you also have to make sure your message is not redundant. I say this specifically in our team’s case. The beginning of the season was really exciting for us and we wanted to thank our sponsors a lot for their great products and help. At the same time, I think people “tune out” the same “blah blah thank you” every race…and we have used Facebook primarily to keep the message going the latter half of the season to not bore the hell out of people on the CMRA board. I am pretty sure when we post on the CMRA board people know what we are going say…and I think that is as much as a turn off as a positive.

One of the things I was going to talk about this weekend is that companies sponsor people. Sponsors see the involvement of racers/teams in the community and the crowds they hang around as well as the influence they have in the community (good and bad). How you conduct your business is very critical. Several of our sponsors this year put us on their “C level” sponsorship tier (C level being basic discount). The fact we bought their product, promoted it, and showed we believed in their product really created some good will…and we quickly were put on “A Sponsorship” (yes, free product).

I think the last thing that people kind of miss is that many of the teams/riders that think they are not “prime sponsorship” material really are making a mistake. Guys like Bill Klindworth/Paul Coste/Richard Shiller/Privateer Tools/etc. (and there are so many other names out there) can offer as much if not more than “Johnny fast guy” as they are great enthusiasts and love this sport. Having a guy that finishes “mid pack” and makes it to all the races in his class is as valuable to a sponsor as one of the fast “up and comers”. A racer that makes it to all their races will finish well in their championships and engage more racers than a “fast guy” that just comes in and out as his budget allows.

But, yeah…thanking your sponsors is the first big step for sure.
    Marcus McBain
    JRi Shocks LLC

"But, yeah…thanking your sponsors is the first big step for sure."

"One of the things I was going to talk about this weekend is that companies sponsor people. Sponsors see the involvement of racers/teams in the community and the crowds they hang around as well as the influence they have in the community (good and bad). How you conduct your business is very critical."

Marcus, Those words are sound advice.... I am a nobody as far as the CMRA community goes... just a guy who is hanging around for now trying to learn some things. I wish I lived closer to the mainstream CMRA domain, be able to attend events like the one you are hosting and be able to quicken my learning curve. But I look forward to the coming year to work on making my goals a reality and must temper my anxious itch with some patience.
    As for the topic at hand....
    I am a relative newcomer around here, made a few mistakes, stepped on a coupla toes and opened my mouth when I shouldn't have. Thankfully the CMRA and most around it are a forgiving bunch and I get to live and learn... But I see things and so I really believe it when you say how you conduct yourself is a BIG thing when it comes to sponsors. I have made some friends, watched a lot of racing and talked to a whole bunch of people.... But your comments about buying , using and promoting the products of your sponsors is a big part of your team's success in gaining a bigger piece of their sponsorship pie are true.. but IMHO the key part in that seems to be not just that or even the natural riding talent Danny that he obviously has.

Every time I walked through the paddock and stopped by to say hi and wish him good luck on and upcoming days event he was gracious, smiling and seemed authentically pleased to shake my hand and talk to me. The few times we met you always gave me respectful attention... never was made to feel like I was intruding or that you all were to busy to stop for the moment and say thanks! That intangible is what makes the difference.. sponsors want their partners to be accessible and inclusive for fans, fellow racers whether they are just starting or at the same level in the sport.... all are prospective customers, consumers for the sponsors products. Danny is a great example of how a racer should conduct themselves and it makes your team look good... I just thought I would share my thoughts.... IMHO

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I think Marcus will agree, that if you write a press release (and regardless of where you finish, you should), you should outline in creative fashion what products you use and how they help you. Also, and I happen to think this is important, you should include a picture of you and your bike in action. Every picture tells a story, and if you already have a written story, with an image you now have a story exponentially multiplied; your sponsors like to see their products in action. And although it sounds comical, my doctors sponsor me, and they all have a picture of me on track hanging in their office. This season they've really stepped up their game while I have done the inverse and lowered mine, but the point is that sponsorship doesn't have to be limited to just track related items.
    Linz
    Expert #97
    CRRC/CMRA Member Since 1987
    Former and Current BoD Member
    Former CMRA Staffer