Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The age old question

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

The age old question

I know in my inner circle the question often comes up about how our club the CMRA stacks up against the rest of the roadracing community around the country. We like to think we are the fastest, funniest, most trustworthy, best sportsman, most intelligent and best looking bunch around.
    Well one of our little birds flew the coop at the end of last year and took a job with a helicopter company in Philadelphia. He was a part of my Modern Classic endurance team 3 Cousins Cycles last year and I got to know him rather well. He and I have kept in touch with eachother since his transplanting in the great northeast. Yes, I am talking about Jeremiah Walker.
    Jeremiah has had one track day at NJ Motorsports Park to get the hang of it then went racing for the first time with CCS this past weekend. Now this was the second CCS race of that region but the first for Jeremiah. It turns out he would have had to go to Summit Point WV to race in the April round. Let me get back on point here.....Jeremiah was in race one Saturday and was grid near the back at 16th position. The race was a 25 minute race and he finished in 6th just .04 seconds behind 5th. He also put in the fastest lap of the race in trying to put his 2005 ZX10 on the podium. The second race he was also grid at the back in 18th position but this time he fought his way up to 5th place at the end of the race. Next day he had a race in unlimited GTU amateur (which is our equivalent of F1 novice) and actually put himself on the box in 2nd place. This is where it really gets good. Jeremiah was .01 seconds behind the leader at the finish of the race and his comment was "I sure wish I had 5th gear and could have shifted". Yes ladies and gentlemen, our man Jeremiah Walker went to whipping the CCS community in the Atlantic region with a broken transmission and no 5th gear.
    When we start talking about racing against WERA, CCS, MRA, OMRRA, CVMA, WMRRA or WSMC we need to just accept the facts. It is absolutely true, the CMRA is the top motorcycle roadracing club in the country and I am proud to be a member.
    I am very much looking forward to getting Jeremiah back in Texas next year. I also urge you to reach out to him via this forum to congratulate his supreme efforts. If anybody has an inexpensive 2005 ZX10 bottom end laying around please let him or myself know. He may just take it and a CCS championship.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Excellent. Well Done, Jeremiah!

In the same vein, Steve Wilson went to Canada last year and won the Intermediate LW Championship at the first time of asking.
    Better Dead than Red

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I concur. CMRA is the best club in the nation with a reputation for being well run and having a deep pool of talent. The competition, race officials/staff, and diversity of classes is unmatched elsewhere.

Bike #
    Amazeballs! Congrats Jeremiah... CMRA Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Brown View Post
    I know in my inner circle the question often comes up about how our club the CMRA stacks up against the rest of the roadracing community around the country. We like to think we are the fastest, funniest, most trustworthy, best sportsman, most intelligent and best looking bunch around.
    Well one of our little birds flew the coop at the end of last year and took a job with a helicopter company in Philadelphia. He was a part of my Modern Classic endurance team 3 Cousins Cycles last year and I got to know him rather well. He and I have kept in touch with eachother since his transplanting in the great northeast. Yes, I am talking about Jeremiah Walker.
    Jeremiah has had one track day at NJ Motorsports Park to get the hang of it then went racing for the first time with CCS this past weekend. Now this was the second CCS race of that region but the first for Jeremiah. It turns out he would have had to go to Summit Point WV to race in the April round. Let me get back on point here.....Jeremiah was in race one Saturday and was grid near the back at 16th position. The race was a 25 minute race and he finished in 6th just .04 seconds behind 5th. He also put in the fastest lap of the race in trying to put his 2005 ZX10 on the podium. The second race he was also grid at the back in 18th position but this time he fought his way up to 5th place at the end of the race. Next day he had a race in unlimited GTU amateur (which is our equivalent of F1 novice) and actually put himself on the box in 2nd place. This is where it really gets good. Jeremiah was .01 seconds behind the leader at the finish of the race and his comment was "I sure wish I had 5th gear and could have shifted". Yes ladies and gentlemen, our man Jeremiah Walker went to whipping the CCS community in the Atlantic region with a broken transmission and no 5th gear.
    When we start talking about racing against WERA, CCS, MRA, OMRRA, CVMA, WMRRA or WSMC we need to just accept the facts. It is absolutely true, the CMRA is the top motorcycle roadracing club in the country and I am proud to be a member.
    I am very much looking forward to getting Jeremiah back in Texas next year. I also urge you to reach out to him via this forum to congratulate his supreme efforts. If anybody has an inexpensive 2005 ZX10 bottom end laying around please let him or myself know. He may just take it and a CCS championship.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Mears View Post
    I concur. CMRA is the best club in the nation with a reputation for being well run and having a deep pool of talent. The competition, race officials/staff, and diversity of classes is unmatched elsewhere.
    Agreed 100%. Many of us from the midwest have had the, ummm...'opportunity' to race with different organizations, and there's a reason we keep making the drive to Texas.
    CMRA #75
    TipToes and Tonka Trucks Endurance #75
    Special thanks to R&R Tool and Die, G-Baby Racing, Cafe Racer

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Aw, congrats!

Bottom end? Bah, he just needs a some transmission parts. It's a cassette style. There's a bunch of stuff on eBay.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Lately, I have done many races with CMRA & WERA.

I've met some really cool people in both clubs.
    The CMRA grids are 2, 3 or 4 times the size of WERA.
    CMRA entry fees are about 3/5 the cost of WERA (6 races at CMRA cost me $310.... 6 races at WERA cost me $500)
    I would say as a whole, CMRA has tougher competition.... If for no other reason than more racers on the grid.

With that being said, I equally enjoy the atmosphere with both clubs. The staffs are different, but both are very good in their own way.
    I'm excited to see how things go down at the Hallett sprint races with CMRA Round 4 & the WERA Nationals.
    It should be some good racing!
    CMRA # 309
    WTF Racing
    Fastline Motorcycle School - Lone Star Track Days - South Central Race Center - P-1 Racing
    Cycle Gear - VP race Fuels - 380 Paint - DNP Americas - TC Hydraulic Solutions

Thanks everybody! What Sean said is correct. I kind of surprised myself at how well I did, especially with the bike issues in addition to last year's injuries and limited racing (maybe the smooth surface of NJMP was confidence inspiring). Don't be fooled there are some fast people out this way. I had the pleasure of riding with Dane Wesby, Mark Heckles and Wyatt Farris! More like seeing them go by me and tailing them for all of 2 turns. The CCS is a nice club and so far my experience has been pretty positive. When folks hear I rode with the CMRA I get instant respect. We should all be proud of being a part of the best club in the country!

Status
    Expert

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Congrats Jeremiah. Sounds like you can progress, but also get some trophies along the way. Great combo.
    And like Sean said, check ebay. I don't think it will be THAT big of a deal to get the trans sorted. 2nd gear seems a more common problem on them, so if it's OK, any replacement should be OK
    OnRoad OffRoad Suspension - Ktech, JRI, Penske, Öhlins, MUPO, GP Suspension, RaceTech

512 636 0960
    www.ororcycle.com