Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Slicks now OK in SS classes

Slicks now OK in SS classes

Tire management just got easier.

Tired of the time and expense involved in swapping tires between races? Don't worry about it any longer. Just run slicks in SS classes.

Keep in ind that this rule is not for everybody. Santa has two lists and you can't be on the "naughty" one. I'm sure we couldn't get by with it but I'm sure most folks can. The precedent has been set so it should work for everyone. Good luck!

(this post presented as a public service)

Not sure if this ^^ is in reference to SS"A", but if so, the following bold underlined revision has been in the 2014 rule book since it was published in January (printed RB page 21):

j) DOT-approved tires with an S or higher speed rating must be used and the original tread pattern cannot be grooved or modified. Slicks may not be used with the exception that slicks may be used in the “A” Superstock class. Rain tires can only be used if the event is declared wet by the Director of Competition. Non-DOT-approved rain tires may be used with no modification of their original molded tread pattern.

If you are 'offended' by another competitor running slicks in a Superstock class other than "A", simply file a "Class Suitability" Protest ($25 fee) within 30-minutes of the results posting. The fee will be returned to you and the results revised when the race Director confirms (usually by conversation with the 'alleged offender' who acknowledges the 'error' or by check with Grid Marshalls) that indeed slicks were used.
    Last edited by Alan Etheredge; 05-20-2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: presented as a non-obtuse, rule-based PSA ;-)
    Alan Etheredge, Associate and Interested Observer ~2003-2019
    At-Track Registration Staff ~2003-2017; CMRA Administrator 2009.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    There should be no "naughty" or "good" list. While riders are getting on their grid in the SS classes, a official should be looking at tires.

Curious on what happened, Mitch? Think I know what you're talking about...

Thanks Alan. I'm aware of the SSA class rule. This was different and there was ample knowledge it was going on. It's ok though. We had a great weekend. Always a pleasure to see you!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Klesel View Post
    ..... a official should be looking at tires. ...
    Michael - it is not appropriate for a grid official to risk delaying the start of a race with a 'class suitability' discussion/argument when bikes are gridding for a start (an observed safety issue is a different matter). That's what the Protest Procedure is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Williams View Post
    .... I'm aware of the SSA class rule....
    Figured that, Mitch, just wanted to ensure the newbies didn't misconstrue your 'barb' ;-)

.... Always a pleasure to see you!
    Thanks and ditto ... see y'all at ECR!!!
    Last edited by Alan Etheredge; 05-20-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    Alan Etheredge, Associate and Interested Observer ~2003-2019
    At-Track Registration Staff ~2003-2017; CMRA Administrator 2009.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    File a protest.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Hate to spend the $25 if it's something the race director already is aware of. No big deal. Just glad to know it's ok to run slicks in SS now.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I can run slicks in Superstock B and C now?

Thanks Mitch, I'm calling John now to change my Pirelli order!
    Chris Coffey CMRA Expert #907
    2015 Sponsors
    Johnson Equipment Company, RaceWorx, Pirelli, SouthCentralRaceCenter
    Vortex, Motion Pro, Spiegler, All Balls Racing, Braking, Sunstar, Leatt Neck Braces
    Pit Posse, Matrix Concepts, Replay XD, Motul

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coffey View Post
    I can run slicks in Superstock B and C now?

Thanks Mitch, I'm calling John now to change my Pirelli order!
    Better find out which list you're on first. I know we couldn't get away with it.

youre reading the wrong book mitch

Better find out which list you're on first. I know we couldn't get away with it.

You need to read Marion's copy of the new CMRA 2013 Suggestion Book....I mean Rulebook
    Last edited by mark niemi; 05-20-2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: it only matters if i say it matters...or possibly not