Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pure Unsubstantiated Rumor

Bike #
    http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ra...-to-catalunya/

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Darnell View Post
    To answer that question... how many of them grew up in Moto3 and moto2? Looking @ this years crop, out of 33 riders in moto 3, 7 Italian, 6 Spanish... a bunch of countries with 1 or 2 riders... (zero Americans) , Moto 2 is packed with Spaniards, 7 in GP... something they are doing over there? or just getting into the GP series as early as possible?

"The list is extensive. I think if we resurrect a good dirt track series for the youth that the rest of the equation will be there. If I had a kid,i would take him dirt track racing first. The Hall of Fame is full of them. That or ship them off to Spain at an early age."

Those names you listed are the result of American style racing... oval dirt track racing is purely an American concept and bred a different type of racer.. something I hope is not lost in this coming age...
    The bottom line is accessibility... if more communities had dirt tracks for youngsters to cut their teeth on we would see more talent come up through the ranks.. But again for me the question of whether Dorna entering into the U.S. road racing business as the prominent entity is a good thing or bad? It kinda cuts both ways... i want good racing and lots of it... I just hope it does not become just another leg in the MOTOGP world and lose that American flavor...

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Mark nailed it. It's what is between the ears, attached to the right arm and in the soul. Learn to run sideways! Learn... We just started running the TMGP. Grids are small and always the same folks. Let's see some more of the young ones out there learning the ropes!

We'll see if a series materializes. Motorcycle racing has taken some serious hits. Lack of money, lack of air time, lack of general interest from a shrinking fan base. Unlike other racing series, motorcycle racing's core fan is either a family member, friend, or club racer.

Kasey, you make the Motogp grid, I'll be your umbrella girl.
    Heinz Roy
    Novice #458 | BTO Racing #58 (Mini Endurance)
    Not a complete idiot, some parts are on backorder.
    Thanks to...Lucas Oil Products | Dunlop Tires | BDtrackside.com/Vesrah Brake Pads | SoloMotoParts.com | 212Decals.com | Moto Liberty

Bike #
    I was going to mention dirt tracking, I watched it for the first time this summer and it was amazing. Good fun, easy accessible and fun for anyone that showed up. I think I have progressed as quickly as I have in track riding because I grew up in the desert on a dirt bike. I never raced growing up and ship sailed long ago for me making a career out of racing. The one key element for amazing riders is they started young. Marc can barely drink in the US but in a few more months he we will 3 world championships. Something has to be done but I don't know what it is.

Another thought is if we get a dorna series and support from factories then there will be a better goal and essentially create new jobs for not only riders but mechanics as well. My absolute dream job is being a race engineer for a motorcycle team. I have no idea how to do that though. I guess us peons will just have to sit and wait.

Welcome to last month Dugger.
    You're like a kid in a batman costume at Halloween....you think you're cute...and you think you're batman.
    -Author name withheld to protect the further embarrassment of the guilty

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Anderson View Post
    Welcome to last month Dugger.
    It was new to me! LOL!
    CMRA Expert #101
    EBR 1190RX, Large BGE

a lot of dirt trackin is going sideways.
    but if theres anyone here that has ever ridden a two-stroke 250 on a grooved half-mile track, you know it's just roadracing after the bikes start laying down rubber
    and the sport can be done at a grass roots level for cheap,relatively speaking.
    its the missing link that i believe would bring back American dominance
    Last edited by mark niemi; 07-15-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: or it could be lunacy or alzheimers; pick one i dont care

If I was in a position to get up and move across the pond tomorrow I'd do it in a heartbeat. The cultural differences alone make Europe a race friendly environment where the kids could have multiple series of other highly competative kids to run with instead of the same 4 or 5 on the grid. We love coming to the CMRA races and getting to hit the big track with our friends, and the fact that the CMRA will let us do it is huge. No bones about it though, all of our experience comes from TMGP and the smaller tracks, where the kart riders begrudgingly give us the little time that we get. My two cents says that if road racing is to survive and thrive in the US then it needs a major change such as television coverage, manufacturer involvement and support and a positive fan base. Those things all go hand in hand. Manufacturers want coverage and a fan base to purchase motorcycles etc... fans want lots of action and a great venue... television wants an audience.... To bring all of those things together in one place is the task at hand..

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I will add I think the classes in AMA pro could be less confusing. I don't even know the difference between Supersport and sportbike... Why do you need 2 600 classes?? It is way too confusing for the layman and people who just want to casually watch. Also WHY do they have 2 races for each class each weekend. Make the format closer to motogp. No need to run 2 races for each class. Run all of the races on Sunday or even Saturday if you do not want to compete with motogp/wsbk. The whole format is not easy to watch for the everyday person who just happens to catch it on TV (not really possible now but you get the point).

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    ^ WSBK holds double headers too. The two 600 classes will be consolidated in AMA as of 2015.