Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Lap time minimums?

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pearson View Post
    One of the reasons I didn't race at TWS this round was because I'm just too slow on the track to compete. I took the numbers off my bike and rode the track day. I'm trying to decide if I'm done.
    To slow to compete with anybody?
    That is one thing I like, I'm not the fastest but you are always either being pulled or pulling someone in a race so there is always direct competition.
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Orr View Post
    That is one thing I like, I'm not the fastest but you are always either being pulled or pulling someone in a race so there is always direct competition.
    I had a fantastically fun race with the back pack in races 3 & 5 at tws. I couldn't agree more with your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by John Redford View Post
    Mitchell I am happy to help you with any spare parts you may need if they are in my box. I have lots of extras!
    Btw John it's all your fault 😂

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Orr View Post

I'm almost always running by myself...except when I'm getting lapped.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Take some classes and hit some trackdays, it will click soon enough. I'd ride with you at the track but I am not sure I am one to really help anybody.
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    My two cents....With me being a fixture at the back of the pack, I work hard on maintaining my / the correct lines so those faster do not encounter any surprises getting past me. While I joke about my inability to run at the front, I do ask those faster if I am doing anything wrong. I ask for that feedback. It is important to me that (a) I don't ruin anyone's day and (b) everyone have fun. I sincerely hope I am never an issue. If I am, let me know.

Get track time. Get instruction. Then, get more instruction. Don't look behind you. As stated, it is the rider passing to make the pass. Safely.

Have a great weekend all!
    Heinz Roy
    Novice #458 | BTO Racing #58 (Mini Endurance)
    Not a complete idiot, some parts are on backorder.
    Thanks to...Lucas Oil Products | Dunlop Tires | BDtrackside.com/Vesrah Brake Pads | SoloMotoParts.com | 212Decals.com | Moto Liberty

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    I never seeing such a sad post like this one before :(

CMRA# 672

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dugger View Post
    I actually think we share the same mindset, just get to the conclusion a bit differently.
    Probably! I guess I was reading more of a concern from you leaning toward membership retention at the sake of saying, "Hey, we've observed your racing and we can't let you race any more until your pace and safety improve" vs "Keep on racing, we don't want to lose you as a member and hopefully you'll get better."
    Sometimes I think it should just be said that this sport isn't for everyone. Of course I've seen some really fast dudes that would be considered "dangerous" too and have been disciplined for it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBob DuggarCantCookOnBGE
    The best thing for our sport and our club is to develop new passions for it.
    Yes!

Beginning with Keith, Chuck, and Eric Falt's idea of the ESS class way back when (and shows no sign of slowing, even with the 300 and 500 around); to the more recent successful idea of Team 60 and Solo 30 (cough, cough Red River Challenge, cough, cough) and the invasion of the Gromnation. I'm with you there.

That still doesn't answer the question of the OP. And I hate coming up with questions that have no solution offered. For this, I have a couple, all of which may benefit the CMRA partners and supporters...
    Last edited by Tom Anderson; 08-01-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Because that's just funny
    You're like a kid in a batman costume at Halloween....you think you're cute...and you think you're batman.
    -Author name withheld to protect the further embarrassment of the guilty

I am the subject in question.... I never once denied that..
    In fact I have mentioned it specifically in this and two other forums. I offered an apology for my mistake and admitted I was partially at fault for this incident. So I'm not hiding behind a computer screen from any of this... At the beginning of the F4 round I spoke to Linz to make sure the other rider was ok.. and was told he was fine.. On retrospect I geuss I should have sought you out Mitchell to make sure in person.. Now I wish I had done that.
    So first off again, Mitchell I am sorry for my bonehead rookie mistake and apologise for causing you an injury and a busted bike. I truly mean that.. if I could take back the moment I would but I can't and will have to try to move on.

I read and listened to every one of the comments made on this thread and now feel I need to share my views.
    Every person came to this club in some way... some had family involved for years and grew up with it, some started on their own when they were young and before there were trackdays. Others have gotten involved through friends and were able to do the trackday scene and progress into the sport... But the pathway to this sport is not the same for everyone. Not everyone is blessed with opportunnity.
    I have been a follower of the series for some time but only from the sidelines. I wanted to race but was not financially ready and of coarse had no real experiance anyways. I cornerworked when I could to get close to the track, made a fool of myself asking anyone I could all kinds of questions and reading, watching everything I could on the sport... coming into the sport at such a late date I was seriously behind the curve... but I have desire and I have passion for the sport and that may be all I have but it's what I have to work with.
    A few here have made some assumptions on me.. and maybe they are valid to some point but until you walk in my shoes don't think you know everything about me..
    I live a hell of a long way from these tracks... My address is Claremore, Ok but that's only the address.. my home is in Foyil, which you probably never heard of. It's in the sticks northeast of Tulsa by quite a ways and even Hallett is 2 1/2-3 hours away and all the other tracks... well you can do the math. While most of you (not all... I know) have the luxery of being able to schedule trackdays and training classes a couple of times a month.. that is not my fortune. My hometown does not have a sport bike scene... there are no group rides, folks going to Hallett or anywhere else. It's all farm trucks, sprint cars and the steel plant... I'm not going to justify or sit here and list off how many hours of seat time I have. I'm not whining or crying about how hard it is for me and many more others like me to get get involved. And this not any kind of excuse.. I just want to put into perspective where I'm coming from.
    To maybe some others my experiance just is not enough to warrant a race license but you you know what? I went through all the steps, spent all the money, bought all the equipment and was told what to do and when to do it.. I followed the rules and was with awarded a paper that said I could go out and try my hand at racing.... one race weekend , one mistake and now I'm being crucified and some want to run me out of town on a hot rail.... And maybe it is my fault.. I thought the race scool was more closely monitered...I should have asked for help on a track I never rode on... I should not have just tried to find the lines myself and of that I am guilty.
    So for my first time ever... On Saturday I was not 100% as I never rode on TWS ever.. I was on a bike I probably didn't have enough time on to be comfortable. and I was going onto the track with some pretty fast, well experianced people. The gist of this thread was about being too slow... maybe I was but how do I know for sure until I get out there. But for those of you who care, you can add in that my bike was a giving me some issues and that slowed me down, if you had a way to check my speeds on track sections, where I was really losing time on was that exact portion where the incident occured.. I was trying to get the race line down and maybe was spooked a little by the inside pass... and maybe after two days I should have already have that down.. sorry I failed.. sorry I caused a incident.. But maybe some forget what a first day was like!
    Because not only was all the above going on but I got lost in the timing of the day, I learned the hard way about calls and session timing.. trying to fiqure out tech and all too.. I pitted away from the announcer and did not have a scanner.. missed some practice time because and was late to grids too... I was in frantic mode all day and could not seem to catch up. Nothing went like I thought it would but I pushed through all of that and tried to make the best of the deal... And the comments are right above, they hammered about not crashing, not crashing, not crashing,,, all the time I have been around the club I was hearing that the novices and all would see your yellow shirt so don't worry... just run your pace stay safe and don't crash... plus I didn't want to trash myself or my bike first time out..
    Bottom line for me is that though I am really sorry about Mitchell's bike and his sore arm I don't feel this is a matter of me being too slow or me not having forty track days under my belt...... I think I made a bad choice in a bad place at probably the worst time... when we were all bunched in the tightest portion of the track... While faster riders were chasing each other... and I was just trying not to crash.. I ended up three laps down that race.. but even getting hit I did not crash.. I lost one lap from being passed.. another which happened during the incident and lost the other because I pulled off track and went to tech to make sure my bike was still safe (which Steve told me I really didn't need to do cause I did not crash) and then to pit not finishing the race... I feel it was a bad set of circumstances all falling together at the worst possible time...
    I look back and wonder what I could have really done different and think maybe there are some things but in the heat of the moment sometimes things don't always go as planned... this surely was not the way I planned it.. but if I was as bad as everyone says then how is it that I was able to compete in the following F4 session without incident.. better my time even while running a sick bike? Slow? yes... dangerously slow? I expect that the CMRA officials are watching these races and if they felt I was a danger they would have black flagged me(which I was constantly looking for) or at least came to me afterwards and said something...
    But for sure now I have a target painted on my back... CMRA officials will be watching me... other riders will be watching me... I have become an instant parihra in one single weekend.. I am sure that with all that are going to have me on the microscope plate that before the Friday/Saturday practices are done the CMRA will have made a decision whether I will be allowed to race.
    I will be at the next session and I will looking to redeem myself... I am going to try to find a way to be much better prepared and hopefully that will be enough to dispell your concerns... I already have contacted some folks in the ranks that I think may be able to help me out and if and anyone else is willing to do so I am open to all advise and critique. But I will be there and I will looking to compete... hopefully it will be a better outcome...
    Mitchell... Again I am sorry... if there is anything I can do to help you let me know...
    Last edited by Scott Finning; 08-02-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Scott - you are welcome at any race and any track. Come look me up anytime, I would love to spend time riding with you and we can learn the track together.

Please understand you did nothing wrong…the bike in front cannot, and should not, see what is happening behind. The thought that a target is painted on your back is yours and yours only, I am quite certain that NO ONE that has posted in this thread feels that way.