Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Supermotos used in CMRA

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Supermotos used in CMRA

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this - just got my ProvNov done this year. I watched a couple of races with Supermoto bikes at ECR when I first looked into racing. I thought it looked like a lot of fun. I've got a DRZ400SM on the street, and took it on a track day (Cresson 1.3) and had a lot of fun. I don't think it has enough grunt to really be any use on the bigger circuits as it tops out at about 90 - that's with a cam and a full exhaust system. I know there is more that could be done, but you are only working with 400cc to start with.

I was curious what the most common Supermoto's used in CMRA are? My idea was converting a Honda XR650R to Supermoto - from what I've read they are a bit heavy, but would have enough grunt to be used for racing the bigger tracks. I would guess there are some KTM's out there too, but not sure which models.

Also, does anyone know if CMRA is planning on running the Supermoto class next year, and if not, when that would be confirmed. The last time I saw it, there didn't seem to be a lot of bikes and it was sharing a grid with another race. Kinda would be good to know before cash gets spent on something.

Cheers, Robert

Hi Robert - welcome to the CMRA!

In the CMRA we call it "Motard" class and run "Motard" machines, not "Supermoto" because we don't run on anything but asphalt

One thing you might do is look at the race results pages to see what's been entered in that class. Motard class makes no distinction between Novice/Expert riders (both NOV and EX are on the track together and scored together) so the results are under Sprints>Expert for each event on this page http://www.cmraracing.com/content.ph...ults&tabid=120

When you've selected the Sprints>Expert results for an event/track, scroll down to Sunday Race 6 - Texas Motorcycle Academy@H2Rraceway - Motard (the same for all events this year) ... you can browse what machines folks are riding under the "Make" column.

Scope out at least several events, the participation in the class varied a bit during the season.

HTH
    Last edited by Alan Etheredge; 10-30-2014 at 07:51 PM.
    Alan Etheredge, Associate and Interested Observer ~2003-2019
    At-Track Registration Staff ~2003-2017; CMRA Administrator 2009.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Hi Alan

Thanks a lot - I think my wording of Supermoto may be European, which is where I'm from...not sure.

I didn't think to check the results, as I didn't think it contained the model of the bike - from what I see now, it's mostly KTM's, which is kinda what I suspected.

Cheers, Robert

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    We don't like Europeans round these parts.

Aprilias and KTMs seem to be the weapons of choice.

The DRZ will be part of the knife to a gunfight scenario.

However, it is not all about winning. Run whatcha brung and have some fun.
    Better Dead than Red

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Thanks - I know I'm not liked ;)

I'll see what comes up on the forum and craigslist over the winter.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Here, I have one nearly race ready. I can help you get it drilled and ready to race.

http://www.cmraracing.com/showthread...For-Sale-Trade
    Eric Johnson
    Nov #183

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Eric,

Thanks for this - bike looks awesome! It's probably out of my price range, ideally, maybe I'd have something I could use it as a street/road bike too. I've found an older KTM online that I may go and have a look at next week.

I'm going to be doing A Superstock next year too, so I've kinda invested a fair bit into doing that.

If my situation changes, I'll be sure to let you know.

Robert

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Part of choosing the best race bike is availability of parts and knowledge of setup. So a bike that many others are racing offers both of these.

Status
    Expert
    I ran a DRZ400 dirt bike the first couple of years of the Motard class. Your street model has a different carb. which really holds back horsepower...bigger piston and cams, I had the fastest 440 on the grid...pulled a holeshot every time! Big 4th gear wheelies over the hump at TX World was very fun! Shifting into 5th in the air was awesome.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert McNaught View Post
    Eric,

Thanks for this - bike looks awesome! It's probably out of my price range, ideally, maybe I'd have something I could use it as a street/road bike too. I've found an older KTM online that I may go and have a look at next week.

I'm going to be doing A Superstock next year too, so I've kinda invested a fair bit into doing that.

If my situation changes, I'll be sure to let you know.

Robert
    I also have a Husqvarna 610 that is street legal that I raced some last year. It's a few grand less.
    Eric Johnson
    Nov #183