Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: "Updated!" Provisional 2015 CMRA Schedule

Bike #
    Cody I'm no expert and have wondered why everyone says its so much more dangerous going CCW. Going through sugar and spice the opposite way is a much slower turn then joe bone. Yes I agree you point more head on with the wall but it seems like with the better track surface and slower turn then the pit wall would be less dangerous in the CCW direction. Am I missing something? I really want to know.

Still think its a bad idea to switch directions for the first race. Either way I'll trust Walter and the Board to make the right decision since they have a lot more experience than me.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    To start with you have to stop using the words safe and racetrack in the same sentence. Those words don't belong together. There is no such thing as a safe racetrack. The best that we can do is try to minimize risk. With that in mind consider this, entry onto the front straight going CCW is close to 70 miles an hour slower than entry onto the front straight going CW. Combine that with a much different approach angle that will allow us to add more Airfence than we can going CW reduces risk.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990
    (NOT mean and unapproachable)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Henke View Post
    Whoa! Like whoa! Dunno if I can do that.

Also, think you meant CCW the 2nd time, too.
    Oops sorry.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by David Adams11 View Post
    Cody I'm no expert and have wondered why everyone says its so much more dangerous going CCW. Going through sugar and spice the opposite way is a much slower turn then joe bone. Yes I agree you point more head on with the wall but it seems like with the better track surface and slower turn then the pit wall would be less dangerous in the CCW direction. Am I missing something? I really want to know.

Still think its a bad idea to switch directions for the first race. Either way I'll trust Walter and the Board to make the right decision since they have a lot more experience than me.
    I think the slower turn is negated by the fact that you have less than half the distance to the wall compared to the apex of Joe bone. I'd also wonder how much more likely you are to high side right into the wall since it's a sharper, slower speed turn.

Either way, I agree with you and others 100% that switching direction on the first event isn't a good idea.
    -Cody

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    43R
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorke Oldfather View Post
    I've run it both directions and I agree with Cody, I think CW the first race and CCW the second race would be a safer way to do it. Give everyone time to come out on a track day and learn it.
    What if this were an entirely new facility that no one had riden before? You would have to learn it on Friday.
    Walter Walker
    Director of Competition
    254-717-6848
    walter@cmraracing.com
    CMRA Ex #43r
    Member since 1990

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Walker View Post
    What if this were an entirely new facility that no one had riden before? You would have to learn it on Friday.
    Valid Point!

York
    Last edited by Yorke Oldfather; 11-05-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Bike #
    What they should do is put build a alternate sugar and spice about 300'-400' up track. It would slow the speeds down and add run off.

I've never run MSRH CCW before. Looking forward to it!

On a somewhat similar note, I miss CW at Hallett. Wish a way could be figured out to bring that option back.

Huge thanks to Walter and the Board for getting the tentative schedule out so quick. Now I just need to know which weekends will be BBE so I can start windowing dates on the calendar.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    I've never run it the other way. So i'll be learning Friday as best I can, along with a bunch of others. Methinks the Houston locals will have a great advantage! Can't we just line the entire track with pillows and make it super safe?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Walker View Post
    1. MSRH isn't new. It takes a long time just to figure out how the bumps, patches, and sealer will affect you going in a different direction.
    2. Like I mentioned before, I think you might be giving people a false sense of security that they 'know the track', when everyone I know that has ran CCW says it's completely different.
    3. We HAVE done that before. It was NOLA. It had been around for a while before we raced on it - and it wasn't the season opener that was announced 3 months prior in the off-season.
    4. Very few of us are professional racers. Most of us like to get in 1-2 track days on a track before we race on it.
    5. Learn it on Friday practice? Just out of curiosity, how many hot laps were turned at Friday practice at TWS? It's hard to learn a track when almost every session ends in a red flag - not to mention, it's February, so if the track EVER comes in, it'll be after lunch essentially cutting the day in half.

Oh well, I've said me peace. Hope you guys don't end up like this, I doubt I'll be making this round now.

-Cody