Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: New racer / mentor program

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gooding View Post
    That bike would be eligible for the following classes F40-Middleweight or F40 HW, F40 LW, Modern Classic, B-SB, C-SB, A-SB, F2, and Heavyweight twins.....you could add SS classes if you change to DOT race tires.

Not eligible for D SBK nor LTW twins as Jordan mentioned above.

My advice is to run F2, HWT or Modern Classic, F40 LW, & maybe C SB for Sundays

On saturdays you could run Solo 30's or T60's in the LW classes since they use F2 rules!

I have a Duc 749!
    I say run F40 Mwt too...yeah sorry I forgot F40 Lwt is running based on F2 rules, but still needs WW approval as it expressly says in F2, the 749 must run under ss rules.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    That bike would be eligible for the following classes F40-Middleweight or F40 HW, F40 LW, Modern Classic, B-SB, C-SB, A-SB, F2, and Heavyweight twins.....you could add SS classes if you change to DOT race tires.

Not eligible for D SBK nor LTW twins as Jordan mentioned above.

My advice is to run F2, HWT or Modern Classic, F40 LW, & maybe C SB for Sundays

On saturdays you could run Solo 30's or T60's in the LW classes since they use F2 rules!

I have a Duc 749!

Thanks Ben and all, so of all the options, in what class would the 749 have the most equal footing (be competitive)? I'd be coming in as a beginner so my first goal is to not get lapped I can switch to DOT tires if that will level the playing field. I've heard from a couple of instructors to ditch the Duc for racing since it's not competitive, too heavy and not enough top end power. What has been your racing experience with the 749 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Chahin View Post
    Thanks Ben and all, so of all the options, in what class would the 749 have the most equal footing (be competitive)? I'd be coming in as a beginner so my first goal is to not get lapped I can switch to DOT tires if that will level the playing field. I've heard from a couple of instructors to ditch the Duc for racing since it's not competitive, too heavy and not enough top end power. What has been your racing experience with the 749 ?
    That's what Ben hears too. People usually speak favorably about his motorcycle though.

Kidding aside. If you like your bike, race it. With a couple of exceptions, most people are "not competitive" at least their first few races. You will however find a race with someone somewhere and that is what it is all about. If you do that a few rounds and find that you think your bike is holding you back, then start looking for something else (I would encourage a smaller bike 250/300/390 less expensive and tons of fun). Again, with a small handful of exceptions, the rider is much larger part of being competitive than the bike is.

Status
    Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Chahin View Post
    As a novice, it will be fine against most stock 600's. In the expert classes where the 600's are superstock built, tuned, ecu flashed, etc and BETTER riders, it's down 20-25+hp.
    It's actually not that heavy in race/track trim with aftermkt exhaust, AL subframe, and ltweight battery. Race it for a season, have fun, then you can buy a better equipped race bike. Novice races will be a blast. Race what u have, F2, F40LW, C-SS, HWT...have a blast!

And as Jersey DeSimone said above, the small ultra light weight bikes 250/300's are a blast to learn/ride/race especially in endurance.
    BOHICA-ModClassic Champ
    Lame Duc Racing
    Sport Rider Coaching #43 ULWE
    Torquasaurus #10 BBE-F2 Champ

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    As a novice, it will be fine against most stock 600's. In the expert classes where the 600's are superstock built, tuned, ecu flashed, etc and BETTER riders, it's down 20-25+hp.
    It's actually not that heavy in race/track trim with aftermkt exhaust, AL subframe, and ltweight battery. Race it for a season, have fun, then you can buy a better equipped race bike. Novice races will be a blast. Race what u have, F2, F40LW, C-SS, HWT...have a blast!

And as Jersey DeSimone said above, the small ultra light weight bikes 250/300's are a blast to learn/ride/race especially in endurance.
    You're reading my mind. I hear the smaller bikes is where it's at. I'm going to get my license with the Duc and try a round or two then once oil markets rebound pick up an R3 and load it with goodies.

Look forward to meeting you guys in person at the track, appreciate the warm welcome.

Best,
    Jason

Hey. I'm saving to get a track bike only. I've being riding 10 years. I went from sport bikes and riding in Washington state to living in san antonio and riding Harleys. Well long story short. My Harley got stolen and frankly I don't like the drivers on the roads here. My last sport bike was an aprilia rsvr. I could never ride to its potential. So I'm saving to get one of the rc390s I'm going to have it mid summer. Thank. I didn't see a new area page do I figured I'd try this

The oil field is picking up for us that's why I am staying to save Jason