Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New racer / mentor program

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I think the most consistent answer you will get to your question will be this. You would be better off, buying a bike that is ready to race or use at the track. You can find them on here every week at a very reasonable price if not a down right steal. Most will come with everything you'll need and you'll save a fortune not piecing it together yourself. Nothing against the bikes you've mentioned, because they are fine bikes, but they really are not race bikes. The cost of rear sets, clip-ons and suspension adds up quickly, and in the end you will more than likely end up going to something that's race proven.

I mentioned it above, the mini class (Ninja 250, Ninja 300) is a great way to get into racing, they are inexpensive, easy to maintain, tires are cheaper and it's a great platform to learn on. An SV650 is another good bike, or a 600 sport bike, you can find these at a pretty good price already setup and ready to go. The Yamaha R6 and Suzuki 600 are great bikes, and you shouldn't have any problem finding a one on here with everything you will need. As far as your experience, I would definitely hit some track days and get some seat time in Level 3 or advanced level to make sure you comfortable with the passing. You should come out to some races and walk around and take it all in, get out and meet some of us, we are afriendly group. Well most are of us are. LOL!
    Last edited by Yorke Oldfather; 05-07-2015 at 11:36 PM.

Status
    Expert
    on what York said...KISS...Keep it simple !

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Thank you for the advice, I was leaning toward selling the triple as it is a pristine street bike (never dropped) and pick up a track only bike just didn't want to go through the hassle. If you see a Harley XR1200 on track days it's probably me as I will hit some track days before I can purchase a track ready bike. thanks again.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    TBD
    Hello everyone. My name is Matthew Crowe and I'm living in Katy, TX. Yes I'm that guy that has nooooo clue and is also hoping for help and guidance to ensure i don't hurt or slow anyone down! My first track day is this weekend and am wanting to not only dip my toes, but to completely submerge myself in this lifestyle. I have always wanted to do this and at a point in my life where i can. I have been working over the last 6 months to get my bike and myself ready fro this adventure. I have watched probably watched 1000 hours of youtube trying to ensure all etiquette and rules are observed. I would like someone to bounce NOOB questions off of so as to ensure all is well. I don't mind looking like a noob! i just don't want to be the cause of someone getting hurt because i made a dumb decision or didn't know. Any advice will help. Thank you for your time. Matthew Crowe (# TBD)

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Matthew, will you be at TWS? I will be there on Saturday. Bike #537. Blue R6. Come find me and you are welcome to pit with us. Happy to help.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    TBD
    Thank You so much, but unfortunately i will not be there until Sunday. Only free time i had. I also have a track day set up on June 20th at MSRH.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    TBD
    Zach,

Will you be there Sunday?

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Nah, I will be there Saturday

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    TBD
    That sux. I look forward to meeting you some other time. Any advice for Sunday?

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Matthew,

We're you able to sign up for the Beginner's Riding School? It looks like it's sold out now... but I was hoping you signed up. That's the best way to start a track day experience and learn the track.
    2009 GSXR 750 (Race), 2001 YZF426 (Dirt), 2014 GL1800 ("Sport" Touring), 2013 Super Tenere (ADV), 2015 CB500F (Daughter's), 2012 Zuma (Daughter's)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/DQRacing/
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1574/2...888b15cd_n.jpg