Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: What's behind your number?

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    #676.... My number is my wife's birthday... June 7, '76.... When I completed the License school and had to pick a number, I really had to think, is this the number I really want to use.... Because if something were to happen between us, I would want to change my number.... So after 17 years, I hope she still wants to keep me, cause I do not want to change my number! Lol....

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    When I wrote and edited The Inside Line for a period of time, I used to ask racers this same question. I was always amused and entertained by the answers.

In my case, when I started racing motocross in the 80s, I wanted 601 because it was reported to be the name of a small band of vigilantes in the Midwest in the late 1800s and I thought it sounded cool. I never gave any thought to my birthday or any other combination of numbers, so when I asked for 601 at the track, and the number proved to be unavailable, I had no backup plan. Pressed to choose a number on the spot, I simply decided to go with the highest 9 available, which I assumed would be 999. Nope. Taken. And so was 998. But 997 was open so I took it. I ran 997 for years in MX and hare scrambles before carrying it over to roadracing in 1987. Then, about 10 years ago, I made the change to 97. John Haner had run 97 for a brief time in the CMRA before me in the late 1990s / early 2000s, and I've known John since about 1986, so it was nice of him to keep the number warm for me while he went on to become accustomed to 44 (or variations of 44). Additionally, back in the 70s, AMA pro roadracer Ron Pierce was number 97. He was not my favorite racer, and I really didn't follow roadracing at the time, but I do recall reading his name and seeing pix of him racing quite often in the magazines (primarily Cycle and Cycle News) when I was a kid, and I always thought his number stood out because it was a high two digit number for a guy who would run up front fairly often.

This season my daughter Raynie has started racing. She, like many, mused over a number for a bit before choosing the obvious...

Last edited by Linz Leard; 02-19-2015 at 07:03 AM.
    Linz
    Expert #97
    CRRC/CMRA Member Since 1987
    Former and Current BoD Member
    Former CMRA Staffer

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Neighbor of the beast. Technically across the street address wise, but still a neighbor.

I think he'd like me to move...I'm THAT kind of neighbor.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    478 - My birth month (4) and year (78)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    displacement in cc's of a 1993 suzuki bandit 400 motor...

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    all these responses are great!

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloan Essman View Post
    Wedding anniversary, Feb 28. By chance 2/28 is also the wedding anniversary of my parents and my wife's parents... freaky!

I like the Iron Butt idea although I've only done the 2000 miles in 48 hours variety so I have a standard number.
    That's ok Sloan! 2K/2 is still impressive. FWIW...take an entire season's sprint budget, multiply by about 30%...and you MIGHT be able to cover an IBR. It's stupid expensive. I did it twice and figured racing was cheaper and I could have fun longer...
    Allen Dye

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    The first number I wanted was 302, Texas independence day is March 2nd and if you've known me for more than an hour you know how much I love Texas. After that was taken I was thinking 121, add up all the birthdays (month + day) in my family and you get 121. Then 101, but alas Dugger had that locked down. So I said f*** it and when I registered for my first number I looked over the available list and saw 899. I thought it looked cool and would be easy to remember with 2 nines in it, so 899 it was. Basically, all my complex ideas didn't pan out, so look cool it was!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Altmeyer View Post
    now MotoAmerica is saying KTM riders need to run a 3 digit number, so now we are back to 291. Sheeesh!
    EMBRACE THE THREE DIGITS.

Well I started racing as 717 (OMRRA), sadly it was supposed to be my wedding date, then 417 for verse in James, and my mentor Doc Brown is #17 (founded OMRRA), so obviously I wanted 17, but Nancy wouldn't take it from Bill lol...so given the numbers available, having been a math geek, and also having moved to Texas as a Golf Teaching Pro, what better than #59, lowest recorded score in golf PLUS 17th Prime Number now (when I grew up it was 18th but 1 is no longer a prime lol), so I get to have my cake and eat it too!!! (I have #22 in OMRRA, it's in KTM tradition as well the F-22 Raptor is baddest fighter jet in the history of the world, and essentially aren't we all dog fighters on the ground anyway?)
    ps I did in fact marry my ex-fiance on 7/17 and been married 18 yrs!