Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: What's behind your number?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    46 was my number all through high school football, I wanted 26 because that was my dad's number in college (those athletic genes did not get passed on) but couldn't get it, and I've been using that number for everything ever since. So, I threw a 4 in front of it to get 3 digits. Which is awesome because I'm sure everyone thinks I'm trying to be Rossi with the 46 thing going on

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Local exchange number for my village back in Scotland where I grew up - we had 3-digit dialing there for a "local" call. If you wanted to venture out and be wild and call another village in the same area, you had to dial 6 numbers - 430XXX.
    Rab McNaught #430
    2022 Race Bikes: 2021 KTM Super Duke R, 2020 Yamaha R1, 2022 Yamaha R7, 2021 Kawasaki Ninja 400 (endurance)
    Former BoD member: 2018 to 2021

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Artem Volkov View Post
    In India, I have seen many people seeking number '9999' for their vehicle. There is a high demand for this number than any one else. People who choose this number would be shocked if they know that this number is prone to accidents more often than any other number. Yet, they choose such numbers out of ignorance and misguidance
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Felio View Post
    Waitaminute...sorry, I just can't let this one go...

so you're saying that:

1) There is rational, causal reason that '9999' is not just an arbitrary number, but is prone to accidents, and

2) so people who choose '9999' are ignorant and misguided, because the poor bastrds don't know that 1) above is really a thing.

I can't wait to hear the explanation for 1).
    LOL...agreed. I thought it was a statistics joke about the "ignorant and misguided" since it's most likely just a function of math that some may not really understand.

Said another way....since it's a popular number, more vehicles have it and therefore it is involved in more accidents. Just like there are more automobile accidents in Austin in one day than the middle of the Atlantic ocean in an entire year so therefore it must be foolish to drive an automobile in Austin.

If he was serious...I'm totally lost.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Wink

Waitaminute...sorry, I just can't let this one go...

so you're saying that:

1) There is rational, causal reason that '9999' is not just an arbitrary number, but is prone to accidents, and

2) so people who choose '9999' are ignorant and misguided, because the poor bastrds don't know that 1) above is really a thing.

I can't wait to hear the explanation for 1).
    Dave, just...
    Last edited by Sean Gurevich; 01-27-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Loggins View Post
    LOL...agreed. I thought it was a statistics joke about the "ignorant and misguided" since it's most likely just a function of math that some may not really understand.

Said another way....since it's a popular number, more vehicles have it and therefore it is involved in more accidents. Just like there are more automobile accidents in Austin in one day than the middle of the Atlantic ocean in an entire year so therefore it must be foolish to drive an automobile in Austin.

If he was serious...I'm totally lost.
    To wit -

"Our market statistics show that the average Human Being has one testicle...so all's we would have to do is capture 0.1% of the prosthetic testicle market, and we could make bazzillions...."

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    New number plate story -
    So my company is moving to new offices at the end of this month (unimportant). In a relocation meeting, the guy doing the facility coordination says he's got to figure out how to map out the phone extensions to the offices, and asked me if I had any direction or preferences. I said, "No, just come up with something that makes sense." Later that night he sends this e-mail:

Re: Extension number for your office

Dave,

What's your race number ?

...I'm so keeping these guys

Perfect!
    Nancy Selleck
    Retired CMRA Administrator (October 2002 - March 2009, March 2010 - July 2018)

New number plate story -
    So my company is moving to new offices at the end of this month (unimportant). In a relocation meeting, the guy doing the facility coordination says he's got to figure out how to map out the phone extensions to the offices, and asked me if I had any direction or preferences. I said, "No, just come up with something that makes sense." Later that night he sends this e-mail:

Re: Extension number for your office

Dave,

What's your race number ?

...I'm so keeping these guys
    Haha! Awesome!

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    So...as a new Prov Nov, I just picked mine up at MSRH last month.

My first choice was taken so as I was scanning the available remaining choices I came across 747.

I'm 6'1" and 230 pounds so I figured a reference to one of the bigger planes out there was a good fit.

The good news is that the 747 is actually pretty fast even though it's big so hopefully I can be too.

(although...I might want to consider racing something bigger than our Ninja 250 endurance bike....pretty sure I heard the little engine say "please help me" on the back straight last race...)

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Since my wife has been my lone supporter in this racing venture (albeit, reluctantly) I had planned to honor her by selecting 520 (our anniversary). Unfortunately some jerk (Scott Finning) has that number and wouldn't release it despite me putting him on a public guilt trip via facebook... hahaha

Anyway all kids birthdates, wifes birthdate, etc were taken... So I picked the most fun number on the list which was 888. meh. I like symmetry.
    Co-Founder, Bison Track Gear - Bespoke suits, gloves, and track apparel. www.bisontrack.com