Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving from street to track! Need help!

If your undecided, make sure you are completely committed before you get on the track. It's pretty much an all or nothing deal as we take our lives in our hands(and our other track mates at the time)each time we go out...trackday/practice or otherwise. That IS the reality of our sport! You say you're 18, so the mental preparation of that alone will take some time. I think most of use thought we were invincible at 18, but at least you've determined that street riding can be very dangerous....so I'd say your over half way there....thats a good thing!

I would suggest, as others have, for you to find a smaller displacement motorcycle and all required riding/safety gear in your budget, then spend some time with a CMRA mentor. I certainly would not recommend anyone, who has not spent a considerable(years) amount of time on a larger displacement motorcycle, to buy and try to start their racing career on one. In addition, budget for your first "get-off"....I'd say about $350-600 would cover things like used rearsets, bar, maybe a piece of bodywork, gloves, etc...that amount won't cover all of these at once, but maybe one or two of them, so you can get back on relatively quick.

Good luck!

Derek Thomas
    Desert Rats #47

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    DO listen to this guy ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Better Dead than Red

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Thomas View Post
    If your undecided, make sure you are completely committed before you get on the track. It's pretty much an all or nothing deal as we take our lives in our hands(and our other track mates at the time)each time we go out...trackday/practice or otherwise. That IS the reality of our sport! You say you're 18, so the mental preparation of that alone will take some time. I think most of use thought we were invincible at 18, but at least you've determined that street riding can be very dangerous....so I'd say your over half way there....thats a good thing!

I would suggest, as others have, for you to find a smaller displacement motorcycle and all required riding/safety gear in your budget, then spend some time with a CMRA mentor. I certainly would not recommend anyone, who has not spent a considerable(years) amount of time on a larger displacement motorcycle, to buy and try to start their racing career on one. In addition, budget for your first "get-off"....I'd say about $350-600 would cover things like used rearsets, bar, maybe a piece of bodywork, gloves, etc...that amount won't cover all of these at once, but maybe one or two of them, so you can get back on relatively quick.

Good luck!

Derek Thomas
    Desert Rats #47
    I'd say go play golf instead but I hate golf. This is good advice!
    Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.
    Racing support: The Metric Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Caruso View Post
    I'd say go play golf instead but I hate golf. This is good advice!
    I'm addicted to both...probably better at racing, so that tells you how bad my golf game is. We're going to get you out to that tournament one way or another!

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Last season when I went down in Arkansas it made me wonder what I was even doing, riding like a racer on public roads. I was dragging knees through blind corners with no regard to what was on the other side of those trees. Oncoming traffic, gravel, or (in the case of my crash) a slippery center stripe. Three years ago I was chasing a Porsche up Hwy23 when the car spun a complete 180 right in front of me mid-apex. I was fortunate enough to squeeze between him and an oncoming car, but it should have been a wake up call that I needed to take this crap to a track. That being said, I could cope with the fact that I crashed on my own. It's the thought of being hurt or killed by someone in a car that worries me most. I've been riding daily for 8 years until September, but this was a rough summer. LOTS of riders down with injuries, LOTS of funerals. The biggest problem I had with these accidents was that most of them were due to inattentive or inebriated drivers.

I'm excited to track with you next season Jake. It's funny that we are both in the same boat (having both been obsessed with street riding up until this past couple months). After a year of thinking about moving to track riding and finally giving it a shot I thought to myself "damn I should have done this years ago". I'm in no way naive enough to think I won't crash or be harmed riding on the track, but I sure won't be as mad at myself when it does happen.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Rob, I am beyond excited to get out on the track with you. I can't wait to learn the dynamics of track riding, and to learn along side you. We are going to have a lot of fun!

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Well played Jake. Asked for advice and then bought the litre bike.......
    Better Dead than Red

Jake,

It's great to hear that this amazing sport is still bringing in new faces!! I use to ride street, back when I was a little younger and a bit more of a dare-devil. ;) But, once I started riding the track, it changed my entire feeling about street riding. I was able to get the adrenaline rush while matching the high speeds (legally) and most importantly, I knew that I was safe. The chances of me going home to my family/kids were much greater than the unknown of street riding. Now, don't get me wrong, Lacy and I will still take a bike out for a day ride to Galveston and have some fun on nice days, but it's nothing like it use to be.

I am in the process of selling my 2006 GSXR 600, race ready. I rode it through the beginning of the season, but I needed something a little newer with a little more hp to keep up with the ever advancing expert class. It's a podium proven bike with a lot of life left in her and it would be a great bike for someone like yourself that is looking to transition from street to track, with all of the goodies.
    You are more than welcome to text or call me with any details. I can also offer technical support if you are in the Houston area also.
    281-685-2778

Best Regards,
    Gonzo (Alonzo Contreras #523)

The bike Alonzo is selling is a solid well sorted out bike, you couldn't go wrong with buying it
    North Texas Superbikes
    Eurtoast Endurance Team
    08' R6
    05' yz450f
    01' KX65 Motard

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Dean,
    I know my decision was odd, but the reasoning was this... the power delivery of a CBR is so smooth, being throttle control will be my first priority. Since I am on my own in buying a bike, the price I payed was so perfect that I could not pass it up. I have always had the mentality to learn at the highest level with high standards. Knowing that at some point I will wreck this motorcycle, like Rob said I'm not naive. I've ridden many CBR1000rr's, and couldn't think of any other bike but this one to buy. The advice was taken, trust me! But, obviously I am going to hold myself to a certain standard. I started on a 600, where most started on a 250, I caught on faster than most when riding. I seem to have a little more "common sense" at times compared to others in my generation. I know that sounds overly cocky, but I know my limits. And this bike will give me the knowledge to build my limits, and if I push them the results will follow. Thank you all!!!