Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Haulers on Race Weekend

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

Toy Haulers on Race Weekend

Just a question for those with big RVs. As a new owner of one, I just wanted to get a feel for what others do race weekend in regards to the RV bathroon/shower. Do people fill up the water tank and use the RV bathroom/shower or do people use the track facilities and use the RV for basic sleeping and creature comforts.

Just asking because my RV has 160gal water tank at 8 lbs per gallon equates to an extra 1200 lbs to tow not to mention no baffles creating a bad towing situation. I thought of towing empty then filling up/dumping close to the track.

Thanks in advance

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I fill mine before I leave and yes the extra weight is there but honestly I cant tell a difference but my tank is also much smaller.

I dont use track facilities other than just a quick relief here and there. They are usually gross.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I would say its mixed. Some haul water, others dont, and some fill up near the tracks.

I used the facilities until I caught athletes foot at TWS. I then used the RV the next three years.

Now that I dont have an RV I will go back to the showers and just buy lots of shower shoes.
    Expert #325
    Boulder, Colorado

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    We don't carry water other than bottled. We use the facilities at the track for showers- with flip flops.

The few people I know with RVs generally just partially fill the tank. Unless you're taking some serious showers, 160 gallons is a huge amount even for 4 people for 3 days. If you take quick showers (turning off water while shampooing/soaping) and follow the yellow/brown flushing rules, you can get by with 5-7 gallons per person per day. Even being generous, 10 per person should be plenty.

If you have the time, filling close to the track will save you some weight and gas. We have had good success with filling up at car washes - they normally have hoses to spare, and if they're not busy they're happy to let you sit and fill. We've always offered to pay something, but often they don't accept. I don't know of any good place to drain other than a dedicated RV park. If you're not scrupulous, you can just go to a self-serve car wash, park over the drain in the middle, and let 'er flow. I've done that with gray water once, but never black. But typically we go back without draining the tanks since nobody feels like finding a spot and then dealing with poop after a long day of racing.

Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Corder View Post
    ...I used the facilities until I caught athletes foot at TWS. ...
    Were you wearing shower shoes?
    Amsoil questions, product applications, or how to order LCRamsoil@gmail.com

Bike #
    This was my first season with a Toyhauler and I have a 50 gallon tank that I fill up before leaving so it's only another 400#. 2 people take showers everyday and I do dishes everyday. I've never run out of water.

When leaving the track I open the white water drain and it empties as I drive. I also don't take craps in it and use the facilities at the track. It's a personal preference but it makes cleaning the tanks so much easier on my part.
    Amsoil questions, product applications, or how to order LCRamsoil@gmail.com

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I feel up before I leave and dump when I get back it's not worth the aggravation to find a place

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I wondered the same thing when I first got my RV. Get on the RV forums, there have been countless tests of MPG with the fresh water full or empty. Bottom line, hardly any difference.

I fill up at home, my water tastes better and no hassle of trying to find a bunch of water. I use facilities at the track for solid waste, shower and liquid waste in the RV. I have a septic outlet at home where I can dump, also. 60 gallon tank, have never come close to running out. You'll probably fill up the gray tank before you run out of water.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis King View Post
    Were you wearing shower shoes?
    Yes but they were in poor condition. Lesson learned.
    Expert #325
    Boulder, Colorado