Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rain Light REQUIRED for tech.. gauging interest for a product.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Rain Light REQUIRED for tech.. gauging interest for a product.

Hello all,
    I'm Matt with Crazy Jacks Powersports, we are also your certified Bridgestone rep, At the shop I'm the tuner and machinist and like to make all kinds of little things in my spare time. I've converted a few bikes for paraplegics through custom design and enjoy making one off custom parts for people. now back to the point of the thread....

I know if its anything like the mandatory brake guard rule the first year it took effect people will be scrambling last minute to find a solution. I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in a kit I'm thinking about putting together.

The design may change slightly but it will basically be a 1/4" base with a 3/4" mounting rod for the light to mount to. The kit will come with the base assembly, the light, a set of batteries, and SS hardware and rivets. The base will be 6061 Aluminum.. I may have them powdercoated black or leave them bare. The base will be revited through your body work on the bottom side of the tail. on dry days it can double as a gopro mount if your using the handle bar mount and ill probably add a safety wire hole somewhere. would run about $25~30 depending on machine time and how much ends up going into the final product.

It's fairly small. just big enough to utilize both the light assembly and a gopro handle bar mount. the base in this model is 1.25" x 1.25" and the pipe extrusion is around .75" to give you an idea of scale.

The light the kit would come with that Walter has already approved.

Depending on the feedback this tread gets I may make a lot I may only make a few.

my last little project was a dirt bar/ gpr conversion on an sv with a gsxr front end....like I said.. I like one off custom parts.

Expert #425
    2016 ESSE ULWE 2nd Place
    2018 250 ULWE Class Champion!
    2019 500 SS ULWE Class Champion! 2019 ULWE Overall Champion!
    2020 500 SS ULWE Class Champion! 2020 ULWE Overall Champion!

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    you guys CAN leave me some feed back.. i like it..i dont.. add this.. ugly..i dont want that on my bike....this is a good kit/deal. If i was you i would...

constructive criticism will only help me to make a better product that can be widely used on multiple bike platforms and ultimately make people happy with their purchase.
    Expert #425
    2016 ESSE ULWE 2nd Place

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    For endurance I think you have to go battery powered. Then when you wreck you can just stick a new one on.
    For sprints wired might be the way to go? I am not sure yet. I would want something that when I wreck I can unplug the light under the seat and then plug in the new light. I figure they will break once you crash.
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    the light that would come with this kit is battery powered with 2AA and will run for 15 hours on one set. i agree that the light could break during a crash. good thing is this will be a standard bar diameter so most bicycle lights will fit the post. I for one will remove mine after tech and replace it with a gopro. I'm trying to keep it double duty for those that don't want the light visible all the time. i know their are tons of ways to do this.. and i also know their will be plenty of people pressed for time day of the race and they dont have a light to pass tech.
    Expert #425
    2016 ESSE ULWE 2nd Place

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    it's custom, it's handmade i get it, but $25-30 seems a little steep. i've found bicycle lights on amazon for <$7 and a ziptie/safety wire hold on the tail would work fine.

one concern about the design: on a bicycle the light attaches to the frame and if it slides up or down it doesn't matter because it's locked in on both sides. will the stem to which the light attaches on your design have a lip at the bottom to prevent it sliding down and off? safety wire would help with that but i'd like to see it somehow "locked" onto the pipe.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    I still have yet to see a better idea than the LED strip. It's flexible and can fit to almost any bike. There's no lens so you don't have to cover it with film. It had its own adhesive for mounting. You can supplement that with packing tape for a more secure install. It adds nothing in weight or profile to the bike. Attach it to the battery or any other battery pack. Every issue that anyone has posted can be resolved with minor adaptation.

The best part? You would have a very hard time trying to spend less on an inferior design. Just sayin'...

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I think it looks good and for $20-$25 I would definitely do it. I do like the idea of a lip or maybe a hole for a pin at the bottom to make sure the light won't slide off due to vibration. Maybe a safety wire clip?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I like this idea Matt and think it has value. I'd happily pay more for something which fits proper and looks right. 30 bucks is nothing on the scale of things here. I was going to try the LED adhesive strip lights from cycle gear that someone else posted up, and will probably send the amazon bicycle USB battery powered light, as I think they look awful. When your bike looks tip-top and then one small item just ruins the look of an otherwise perfect machine, it hurts
    Rab McNaught #430
    Vice-President and Treasurer

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hodges View Post
    I still have yet to see a better idea than the LED strip. It's flexible and can fit to almost any bike. There's no lens so you don't have to cover it with film. It had its own adhesive for mounting. You can supplement that with packing tape for a more secure install. It adds nothing in weight or profile to the bike. Attach it to the battery or any other battery pack. Every issue that anyone has posted can be resolved with minor adaptation.

The best part? You would have a very hard time trying to spend less on an inferior design. Just sayin'...
    My thing, and it purely is based on my lack of education...I can only find those lights in big rolls. Not a 6 inch strip.

Matt,
    Thanks for the time and effort to think something through. I think what some are failing to appreciate is the dual function. I am new to the go-pro thing...yes it takes me a long time to get on board, but I would be interested. Is there a way you could mock up something and show a picture, taped, or whatever, to a tailsection? I'm thinking done right, your product and price seems very reasonable.

Are just the rivets ok to hold it(w go-pro mounted), or would it need a "backing" plate...maybe something like aluminum or PVC and very small bolts and nuts? And is that a fairly safe(and common) place to mount...given suspension clearance, etc..