Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pit Signalling........ getting out of the stone age

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Pit Signalling........ getting out of the stone age

Maybe some people have already thought of this but Misfit racing used a new pit signalling method last year and it worked great. I thought I would share it in case other people are interested. 1.5 years ago my wife came to an endurance race with me. She saw how we all signaled to pit and on the drive home she said "Isn't there a better way?" I thought with today's technology, yes. So after a lot of thought I settled on a car alarm being the best way to accomplish this. So we obviously need one with a lot of range, is cheap, and comes with a horn. I found this alarm https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It has a mile long range. So you mount the key fob to your bike by modifying this motorcycle phone mount https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Then you hook up the alarm to a 12v battery and every time you need to pit just hit the lock button on the key FOB. The alarm will chirp in the pits and your team can get ready. No one has to stay standing to watch the rider for the full hour or 2 hours. It lets us rest. Also the rider doesnt have to take his hands off the handle bars. This is especially annoying at cresson. This is a picture of the key FOB mounted to our bike . Maybe you guys can even come up with something better.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I forgot to add the key FOB is NOT water proof. So you would need to come up with a good method of water proofing it like installing a home made gasket or covering it with a plastic bag.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Interesting idea. Like the concept. How do you know the alarm worked? Team stands up and signals back?
    Provisional Expert #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    As a rider we just assumed. While we ride down the straight we hit the button like 5 times and it never failed until we hit a wet race. We started water proofing it whenever wet conditions occur and have had great success. Kasey Lewis had thought to buy a second alarm kit and wire it to the bike's high beam light on the cluster. So from the pits we would hit the key FOB there and it would illuminate the high beam light on the cluster to let the rider know it is ok to pit now so he could take fewer parade laps waiting for pit to get ready. It worked but then the wet race at TWS took out the alarm box and we just never replaced it. So WATER PROOFING is important.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase Eason View Post
    We use a wireless doorbell
    Thats interesting! Could you post the kit you bought then people have even more options.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    That is awesome. Does it have enough range to work on all tracks? 500ft should be plenty.

We haven't had issues, the speaker could be louder though

Lol this is an awesome thread! Thanks for the ideas fellas!