Thread: Frame measurement and straightening

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Frame measurement and straightening

In other areas of the country, I see people discussing companies like GMD computrac and Mega Max that supply chassis optimization and measuring. I was wondering if there was a company in Texas that supplies this service. I don't know if I need this, but it couldn't hurt to see. My bikes have been down a couple times and the SV I just purchased for this year most likely has also. For my fellow racers who have had this done, What are the benefits to this type of service?

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Mitchell,

I had a bike evaluated and corrected years ago by GMD when they had a shop in the Atlanta area. It was very beneficial in the end but very time consuming and pricey. If your bike is a somewhat current model it most always will be cheaper to just replace the "tweaked" component(s). Back in the day you had to strip the bike down to the rolling chassis with the motor still in it (no other items left on the bike) and haul it or have it shipped to one of their locations. I would personally only go this route if you had some sort of classic or hard to source parts for bike. Checking the bike for 90 degrees from steering head to swingarm pivot, and 90 degrees to axles for twist is a good check to perform. Checking from swing arm pivot to rear axle for a "twist" in the rear swingarm is also good. To do this accurately you would need some rods and cones and a high end Digital protractor for best results. My Shop Owasso PowerPlay up in the Tulsa area can do this, possibly even at the track if planned for. I think I have some photos on my FB page checking an R6. Outside of a straight chassis to start with, further optimization would be rider choice set up, how the bike is handling, etc. Hope some of this helps!