Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Safety Lights Yellow/Red

Status
    Expert
    Bike #

Track Safety Lights Yellow/Red

Thank you CMRA BOD / CMRA Officials for purchasing the track safety lights yellow/red. I don't recall seeing them before MSRH. They seem to work really well from my perspective. I worked in turn 17 and could easily see the safety light at turn 15 all day long Saturday & Sunday. I hope these safety lights help the racers. I'd like to know their opinions about the safety lights.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    I notice the lights before the flags 2/3 of the time. I really appreciate the safety lights as a racer. Our corner workers are top notch as well. I feel comfortable knowing they are out there for us.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Saturday was my first race so I can't comment about prior races but I absolutely appreciated the lights. In all but a couple flag situations, I saw the lights before the flags and they really allowed for a very quick transfer of information about the situation to the rider.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by lee vrazel View Post
    Thank you CMRA BOD / CMRA Officials for purchasing the track safety lights yellow/red. I don't recall seeing them before MSRH. They seem to work really well from my perspective. I worked in turn 17 and could easily see the safety light at turn 15 all day long Saturday & Sunday. I hope these safety lights help the racers. I'd like to know their opinions about the safety lights.
    Yes, I like the lights. You can never have too many signals of a "red flag" situation.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    It worked for me too during the mini race. good alert right there!
    CMRA#672

Another example of how the CMRA gets huge benefit from having a Race Director who is heavily involved in Pro Road Racing and by virtue of that gets ideas and makes contacts/builds relationships with the vendors that provide such technology.

Alan Etheredge, Associate and Interested Observer ~2003-2019
    At-Track Registration Staff ~2003-2017; CMRA Administrator 2009.

I like the lights too, although I wish they would have been red before 10 people crashed at the end of the ULWE race :(

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gallagher View Post
    I like the lights too, although I wish they would have been red before 10 people crashed at the end of the ULWE race :(
    Not sure if the lights were late or people were just past them. The latter was my situation. That was one of the only instances all weekend where I saw the flags before the lights. But, to be fair, I had already past the lights at the base of the hill when when it happened so not sure I would have seen them even if they were on.

I looked up and saw a lot of carnage and 2 riders standing at the edge of the track motioning to slow down and maybe there was a flag too (don't really remember). Unfortunately, someone was in the middle of passing me and apparently didn't see it at all and proceeded to high side right in front of me at the next corner when they finally saw it and tried to take action too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Loggins View Post
    Not sure if the lights were late or people were just past them. The latter was my situation. That was one of the only instances all weekend where I saw the flags before the lights. But, to be fair, I had already past the lights at the base of the hill when when it happened so not sure I would have seen them even if they were on.

I looked up and saw a lot of carnage and 2 riders standing at the edge of the track motioning to slow down and maybe there was a flag too (don't really remember). Unfortunately, someone was in the middle of passing me and apparently didn't see it at all and proceeded to high side right in front of me at the next corner when they finally saw it and tried to take action too late.
    I went past the light at the bottom of the launch and they were not on. As I was going thru the right hander after that, I saw 2 people and bikes in the grass. I figured they just came together and crashed. Then, without warning, my bike went away. As I was sliding towards the edge of the track, I noticed all the other people that had crashed. Id say at least 4-5 more. After I got up, I motioned to the corner workers to wave the flags, since they were not. After I watched 2 more people crash, they grabbed the red flag. By then, all the crashers were motioning to people to slow down.

I was told that they thought fuel had spilled on the track, which it obviously wasnt.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Wow! I've been wondering if someone would explain what happened. Can't believe that. Was it truly coolant, like ethylene glycol? Real slippery water? Oil? Squished snake? Doodie?
    Provisional Expert #98