Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prep for COTA track day

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Blog Entries
    Personally I would get new tires, ask the tire vendor what pressure to run on the track, & get the suspension set up.(Roger Albert should be there doing suspension setups. It is money well spent)

Back in the day..... they taught me, if you don't have warmers, the fastest way to warm up tires was braking and acceleration.
    2nd fastest way was to park the bike so the sun was shining on the tires.
    So I would park the bike with sun on the tires and take the 1st lap to warm up the tires before pushing the pace

IIRC street tires optimum temp is about 135 degrees (vs race tires about 170 degrees)
    Single temp warmers will overheat street tires causing them to be 'greasy'.
    I would NOT put single temp warmers on street tires
    The more expensive dual temp warmers have a low temp setting that is about 135 degrees.
    That is the only temp I would use on street tires.

Your trackside tire vendor is a wealth of information and they are glad to help and advise you.
    Your trackside suspension man is also a wealth of information
    These are a resources you should use.
    They will help you become more knowledgable and experienced. (then pass that knowledge on to other new track riders - after all we are all motorcycle enthusiasts, kind of one big family)

COTA is a wonderful track.
    You will really enjoy the experience !!
    (and be track spoiled forever more)
    Bill Klindworth
    68 Still kicking... just a bit slower #737

Would it be better to replace tires at Cresson and run them for one day prior to CotA, or should I get new tires at the end of the day at Cresson and run them fresh at CotA? I'm just stepping up to level 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Puchek View Post
    Would it be better to replace tires at Cresson and run them for one day prior to CotA, or should I get new tires at the end of the day at Cresson and run them fresh at CotA? I'm just stepping up to level 2.
    Depends on the condition of the current tires on the bike/what type you are running, etc. If you're just stepping up to level 2 and are needing some tires, replace them at Cresson/ride the day, and run em' at COTA. You'll be fine.

And on another note, since you're still getting into the groove of track days, stick with some good ol' Q2s/Q3s or some equivalent "performance" street tire. No need to worry about slicks/DOTs, especially since those need heat to work properly.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    I just did a track day at Harris Hill which logged 120 miles for the day and the tires held up well, but the common thread of most posts seems to be fresh tires for COTA. I appreciate the sound advice and will be purchasing new tires at the track, I assume the vendor will do a turn key tire change as I'm not equipped to drop the wheels at the track.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    You might want to look into getting them changed before then. The usual tire vendor (and all the others for that matter) will be at TWS for race weekend. You might want to call Dave and see if they have a backup vendor for that event.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hodges View Post
    You might want to look into getting them changed before then. The usual tire vendor (and all the others for that matter) will be at TWS for race weekend. You might want to call Dave and see if they have a backup vendor for that event.
    This is correct there will be no tire support or suspension support at COTA this year as we will all be at the CMRA event that weekend. I can ship you the tires and you could have someone local mount them if need be.

There could be tire support if Dave answers my email by this Saturday morning! He requests my service but has failed to get back to me. I've got a crew on standby and a street tire vendor waiting...might want to give Dave a nudge if y'all want tire support.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Moss View Post
    This is correct there will be no tire support or suspension support at COTA this year as we will all be at the CMRA event that weekend. I can ship you the tires and you could have someone local mount them if need be.
    I guess they could swing by College Station / TWS on Friday on their way to COTA. It's only about 2 hours away to the east and then they'd have all the tire vendors in one place to help out. (although they'd probably all be loaded up with race tires so you might contact them first...not a lot of street tires being sold on a CMRA weekend I'd guess so I doubt they carry that many to the track)

Quote Originally Posted by Fabian Kale View Post
    There could be tire support if Dave answers my email by this Saturday morning! He requests my service but has failed to get back to me. I've got a crew on standby and a street tire vendor waiting...might want to give Dave a nudge if y'all want tire support.
    I'll pass the word along Fabian. Dave can be... forgetful at times.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Yeah, seriously. If Dave's teeth weren't attached to his gums, he'd .... Uh... excuse me.

Provisional Expert #98