Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Race Boots with best ankle support

Status
    Novice
    Bike #

Race Boots with best ankle support

I sprained my ankle pretty good in my Gaerne G-RW boots, which from what I've seen are suppose to have pretty good ankle roll protection. My boots are still in good shape and maybe it didnt matter what I was wearing but I want to prevent this with a better pair if possible.

I know Sidi is suppose to be the best but is the ankle support going to be that much more than what Im in now?
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

My former brother in law got in a backroads tussle with a car years ago while he was wearing his Sidi's. Up until then, i never saw a reason to pay that much for boots.
    Needless to say he limped off with just a swollen ankle.
    The side spine broke on impact.
    So, that right there sold me on the Sidi's.
    I haven't done much research but, i don't know of the other brands that have that outer ankle protection like Sidi's.
    But, hopefully i never have to personally test mine out like he did.

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Broke my ankle with A-Stars....
    Better Dead than Red

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Mine do have the outer ankle support and some of the Sidi's have them also.
    I just didn't want to spend a couple hundred dollars and not really be any better protected.

I did find a post on the 600rr forum about boots and ankle protection but I couldn't find the posters sources.
    Novice #728
    Lucas Oil - Vesrah - BD Racing - Vortex Racing - Shorai Batteries - Sidi Boots - Josh Henke
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Obviously every crash is different when it comes to rider impact and way they fall however, my crash on Sunday was almost identical to yours including the same corner and my SIDIs held up perfectly and not one bit of issues in my feet or ankles from the excursion. The got scuffed up pretty good as well to the point I need to replace some of the plastic protection bits. I'd say they worked well for me.

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by dean webster View Post
    Broke my ankle with A-Stars....
    Which ones? I had been using the SMX-5 but upgraded to the Supertech R this season.
    www.NavyChief.com, RideSmart, Pirelli Tires, OnRoad OffRoad, MotoLiberty, Alien Motion, Tank Tredz, DFWSportbikes.org

Status
    Novice
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Snyder View Post
    Obviously every crash is different when it comes to rider impact and way they fall however, my crash on Sunday was almost identical to yours including the same corner and my SIDIs held up perfectly and not one bit of issues in my feet or ankles from the excursion. The got scuffed up pretty good as well to the point I need to replace some of the plastic protection bits. I'd say they worked well for me.
    I've crashed in these boots a couple of different times. Turn 7 at ECR, Big Bend at MSR, Houston after the carousel and then this last weekend. This was the first time I've hurt my foot in them, but yes you can have 2 of the same bikes with the same riders, crashing with the same gear, at the same speed and the injuries will both be different.

Which Sidi boots do you have?
    Novice #728
    Torquasaurus #98

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    https://www.ridersdiscount.com/alpin...ts-2012-142056

I was concerned with ankles myself and read great things about the Supertech R. I picked mine up from Rider's Discount, as the "2015 model" is on clearance right now. If you hurry you might be able to snag a pair in your size at a great price.

The inner bootie design is really neat, you can snug them up tightly and there is some good added support in there.
    Co-Founder, Bison Track Gear - Bespoke suits, gloves, and track apparel. www.bisontrack.com

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Orr View Post
    I've crashed in these boots a couple of different times. Turn 7 at ECR, Big Bend at MSR, Houston after the carousel and then this last weekend. This was the first time I've hurt my foot in them, but yes you can have 2 of the same bikes with the same riders, crashing with the same gear, at the same speed and the injuries will both be different.

Which Sidi boots do you have?
    I have the ST AIR

Status
    Expert
    Bike #
    I have the Sidi Vortices specifically because I went to a store and tried to bend them all different ways at the ankle and picked the ones that seemed the most secure to me. I've sprained my ankles pretty bad twice (playing basketball) and broken one (football) so that was at the top of my list. I wasn't impressed with the A* boots even with their ankle support I could still get the boot to fold at the ankle if I pushed on it the right way. Maybe they are better now (that was 2 years ago). Fortunately I haven't had to test my Sidi's but man they feel like armored tanks for my feet/ankles.